• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wright or Henry?

Who is your favourite Wright or Henry?

• Wrighty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Josjos

I think people are getting off the subject of who is their favourite, into the murkey side of who is best, who with out doubt, is Henry, probably the best player ever to play for this club and he's not finished yet. so stay on subject ! ;D

still, i can't believe how lucky i will be to see Arsenals two top scorers in my life time

malagar

Both Henry and Wrighty are my huge favourites , alongside with Bergkamp, Seaman , Adams ,Bob , Freddie , Kolo , Ashley .
But for some weird reason my favourite player is Jose , closely followed by Cesc .

niller

I remember the episodes between Schmeichel and Wright. Everbody I knew hated him - but i loved him. He's a legend.

A

Anonymous

Once again this probably raises the foreign vs home fan, the glory/new supporters vs the older ones. Just look at the poll, hardly anyone voting for wrighty, also everyone who has voted for wrighty are members on this board who i know have been around longer. I would imagine the people who dont really have a clue what wright was like would of voted for henry. Wright is my favourite by far, anyone who got to experience what it was like to have him at the club i really cant imagine why they would vote any differently either. He had a personality henry lacks, remember people, this isnt a vote on who is the best, but who is your favourite.

A

Anonymous

I really wish i could have one more season on the mid 90's again. I actually miss wrighty alot, he was the last of the great footballing characters, with him retiring football changed, its just not as FUN anymore, wrighty made it fun, his celebrations, his attitude, his great goals, his humour. Just watch his videos, infact, im going to do that now.

Biggus

Established Member
A bit like asking me to choose between the Clash and Led Zeppelin. Both are brilliant.

Zep had more hair...

Wrighty.. i just dont feel the same connection with Henry. Wrighty was just too good and he never seemed to have spells where he didnt appear happy on a football pitch

Its called genius temperament..... all the great artists have it , When its so easy for you, you can't understand why your teamates can't do it.......

Forget the corrupt vipers nests of Uefa & Fifa and their useless opinions

Thierry Henry is simply the most gifted player that has pulled on an Arsenal jersey.....and his commitment to us is not in doubt.......you don't see him arguing like Paddy and Sol over pennies....

Aussie

Established Member
These days in football its difficult to really feel connected to a player. With money and loyalty and everything you get a bit disenchanted with players if that makes any sense. Wrighty was probably one of the last ones going around that you just really loved. Great character and those celebrations as people have said were just brilliant.

Who is my favourite?

Tony Adams :p

Sammer

Established Member
theguvnor said:
Once again this probably raises the foreign vs home fan, the glory/new supporters vs the older ones. Just look at the poll, hardly anyone voting for wrighty, also everyone who has voted for wrighty are members on this board who i know have been around longer. I would imagine the people who dont really have a clue what wright was like would of voted for henry. Wright is my favourite by far, anyone who got to experience what it was like to have him at the club i really cant imagine why they would vote any differently either. He had a personality henry lacks, remember people, this isnt a vote on who is the best, but who is your favourite.

Ah, so people voting for Henry are not real gooners or, as you indicated, foreign glory hunters, eh?

malagar

I myself didnt vote as I must admit that for different reasons I cot seriously hooked to football in the year 1998 , watching the world cup . Before that I had watched footie when it was on , but propably thanks to the preferred state of basketball in estonia at that time I was more into that stupid game ( i know I should be hung for that ) .
But the World Cup of 1998 was an eyeopener that turned me towards football - permanently . And in the same year one of estonias tv stations started to do live coverage of the Premier League . The first match they showed was a 0-0 draw between Arsenal and Liverpool . it was a **** game , but for some reason when I first saw Arsenal play I really felt connected to this club - I didnt know nothing about this club at that moment . But something made me click . I knew players like Adams , Seaman , Overmars , Keown, Bergkamp and Petit before , and maybe the likes of Adams and Seaman may be "guilty" a littlwe for me turning to Arsenal. But mostly it was the Aura that surrounded the club. I have been a dedicated Arsenal supporter from that day , and will stay that forever.
But in this poll I chose not to vote , because it would have been unfair to players who played for the club before I started to see its games .
Here I would also take teh change to apologize for my first reaction when Henry was bought . I was really angry then. One estonian striker had just been on trials at Arsenal , but wasnt bought ( his price was around 500 k ) and then Arsène bought Henry . My first reaction was that why teh hell he had to buy that crap winger for bloody 10,5 million pounds , if he could have got our guy for 500 k . Henry made me regret those thoughts very soon :eek:ops: Since that I also like the quote - Arsène knows- especially as that estonian strike he luckily didnt sign is quite crap nowadays. :roll:

Thats a bit unfair? Im 19 and know all about Wrighty. I went to my first game at the age of 5 against Sheffield utd when they had that horrible flouresent kit and we won 5-2 and Wright wasnt in the side. So i can say ive watched and supported Arsenal throughout Wrighty's career and currently through Henry's career. Just because i havent been on this board as long doesnt make me less of a fan or glory hunter. I loved Wrighty as a youngster as i was a striker myself and copied his celebrations tried to score goals like him, but since Henry has come their is a huge comparison between them both. People say Wrighty had more commitment and passion but do you mean that Henry lacks both those attributes!? I think Henry shows a lot of passion in the way he celebrates, the way things really get to him. For example, the newcastle game where we lost 3-1 and he went to poll at the end of the game as he felt Arsenal were cheated! He can have a lazy side to him, but did you ever see wrighty running back so much to help out the midfield? Not as much as Henry does and maybe he doesnt come back to help the midfield vevery single time the ball is their, but come on he is human and saves his energy for attack. They are both similar in personality and to suggest Henry lacks passion, commitment and any other attributes you may question, i believe is wrong. In my opinion in terms of who is my favourite it would be Henry!

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
gunner4ever25 said:

Thats a bit unfair? Im 19 and know all about Wrighty. I went to my first game at the age of 5 against Sheffield utd when they had that horrible flouresent kit and we won 5-2 and Wright wasnt in the side. So i can say ive watched and supported Arsenal throughout Wrighty's career and currently through Henry's career. Just because i havent been on this board as long doesnt make me less of a fan or glory hunter. I loved Wrighty as a youngster as i was a striker myself and copied his celebrations tried to score goals like him, but since Henry has come their is a huge comparison between them both. People say Wrighty had more commitment and passion but do you mean that Henry lacks both those attributes!? I think Henry shows a lot of passion in the way he celebrates, the way things really get to him. For example, the newcastle game where we lost 3-1 and he went to poll at the end of the game as he felt Arsenal were cheated! He can have a lazy side to him, but did you ever see wrighty running back so much to help out the midfield? Not as much as Henry does and maybe he doesnt come back to help the midfield vevery single time the ball is their, but come on he is human and saves his energy for attack. They are both similar in personality and to suggest Henry lacks passion, commitment and any other attributes you may question, i believe is wrong. In my opinion in terms of who is my favourite it would be Henry!

That Sheff United game was my first too.

But, to be fair, as a (if I've got my maths right) 5-6 year old when Wrighty signed for us, how much can you really remember of Ian's impact at the club? I don't remember too much about football before 1988 and I'm 27! The fact is that Ian was the shining light in a side, apart from his first season, that played miserable f'cking football. Until Wenger came, now Thierry Henry is more like the cherry on top of a rather large coffee cake.

10 years ago, Ian Wright was the only reason to support Arsenal, I reckon. And all the defensive, foreign jean-come latelys can't and don't understand that Wright's acheivement in that side was phenomenal. A shame we didn't get him till he was 27 really.

zodos

theguvnor said:
Only partially right guv! It has nothing to do with foreign v Home. This is basically between 'Wenger era' fans and 'Pre-Wenger era' fans. 'Wenger era' fans cannot relate to Wrighty. They hardly know him! Right now, Henry personifies what Wrighty personified then and therefore will win their vote. For the rest of us, Wrighty is an absolute legend and incomparable!

Josjos

If you read the posts, pretty much 85% of the posts are in favour of Wrighty, but the votes far outweigh in henry's favour, I think this shows, (and it's no critiscism, just a point of interest) that maybe the majority of the people who voted, are 98 onwards supporters, people who never realised or saw the full impact of Ian Wright. I don't mean everyone, just an indication.

Josjos

Also, not sure if anyone knew this, Wrighty, when he was renewing his contract, used to come in and say, "Where do I sign", he didn't even check the contract, Peter Hill-Wood said that, that's juts different class. Wrighty loved the team, the club so much, i know Henry does as well, there's just a difference of character

eveyone likes Henry, even if they don't admit it, it's that kind of small difference, everyone appreciates the genius of Henry. Maybe that Wright wasn't so appreciated and therefore loved that bit more by the fans,

Wrighty though, everyone hated him, but you knew that everyone respected him, becsaue he was awesome. legend legend

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom