• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yaya Touré

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Re: Yaya Touré (Again!)

^^Depending on what you expect from that 3rd CM position. Yaya is strong defensively and both him and Song can drive forward(Yaya is better in this sense I think).

You'd think we'd be losing some creativity but we have none coming from Nasri, Diaby, Rosicky as it is, consistently anyway.

I think signing Yaya would be a statement of intent.

Humble Rex

Established Member

IF we had a midfield of Song, Cesc and Yaya for the majority of next season, without changing any other personnel, Im fairly certain that we as a team wouldn´t ship 40+ goals.

Hypothetical of course, but my point is that whatever we would lose in creativity, and I´m far from convinced we would lose anything in that repect, we would certainly make up for in defensive stability.

For me, he would be a perfect fit for us.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Exactly.

If we can't create chances with Cesc, 3 attackers and 2 full-backs constantly high up the pitch then maybe the personnel just aren't good enough.

I struggle to believe United would be walking into our ground and scoring 3 at will if we had a a midfield of Song/Yaya/Cesc.

fabo

6.51 / 10

And I don't even rate Yaya incredibly highly but he could be very effective for us IMO.

Abs

Established Member

yaya is much better than Song going forward actually, he is quicker, better dribbler and has a bomb in his right boot.

Humble Rex

Established Member

Abs said:
yaya is much better than Song going forward actually, he is quicker, better dribbler and has a bomb in his right boot.

I´d say he is much better than Song defensively as well. He is a top quality player.

GoonerAG

Am I the only one on here who reckons that a midfield trio of Cesc, Nasri and Song as the holding midfielder can work wonders for us next season?

If you look at Barca at their best, it's with the Xavi-Iniesta combination pulling the strings with someone like Keita or indeed Toure holding.

I think Song has proven that he is a top player in midfield and would have no problem if we adopted such a strategy. If we strive to be like Barca I reckon it's something worth trying on a consistent basis, though Cesc and particularly Nasri would have to improve their pressing game.

Floating

Established Member

If Cesc DOES go, and we get Toure, that would enable us to play a more pure attacking creative player like Nasri or Gourcuff in Cesc's role.

Like this:

- - - - - Song - - Toure - - - - -
- - - - - - - Gourcuff - - - - - - -
Chamakh - - - - - - - Arshavin
- - - - - - - van Persie - - - - -

Floating

Established Member

In that formation I just wrote up, every single player (barring little Arshavin) is between 6'1" and 6'3"!

Gourcuff could also easily be Diaby, Ramsey, or Nasri. That position would be very close to "the Zidane role" - a central midfielder with physical power, creativity, and a largely offensive role.

asajoseph

Established Member

Song's passing play is very underrated. People who cut denilson slack for using the ball well need to look at song - he's 20 times the player denilson is, and ten times more effective on the ball. As for Yaya, still think he's very overrated, And given the discount some of you would give barca for throwing him into any deal with Cesc, never worth the money

Goons AFC

Gooner AG, I think that's my starting midfield if we don't bring in anyone else. I like it if Nasri and Fabregas pick up their defensive duties. But I felt when the two of them were together this season, I was always a little worried about the team defensively.

Zico

Established Member

GoonerAG said:
Am I the only one on here who reckons that a midfield trio of Cesc, Nasri and Song as the holding midfielder can work wonders for us next season?

If you look at Barca at their best, it's with the Xavi-Iniesta combination pulling the strings with someone like Keita or indeed Touré holding.

I think Song has proven that he is a top player in midfield and would have no problem if we adopted such a strategy. If we strive to be like Barca I reckon it's something worth trying on a consistent basis, though Cesc and particularly Nasri would have to improve their pressing game.

Nasri goes in and out of games too much to be depended on as a central midfielder. Song is also not quite the finished article.

What Wenger needs to do is get a slightly more experienced player in to play NEXT TO Song and teach him the finer details of the DCM role (such as Melo or Toulalan). Also get in a strong central defender, a la Cahill. That would give us a central defensive unit of Cahill, Song, Vermaelen and Melo who would be able to spread out as necessary when Clichy and Sagna have gone forward.

It would also give Vermaelen license to play his flying sweeper role, with the comfort that one of Song or Melo can drop back to fill in as he marauds forward.

Of course, the final piece of this will be ensuring that Chamakah and RvP get into the box often, to make it worth our while to having attacking FBs

asajoseph

Established Member

My comment on that midfield is that Toure would be an upgrade on dianilson, but Gourcuff a massive downgrade on Cesc. So no thanks

Czar

I don't get why we should even compare Courcuff and Cesc. They are completely different kind of players, who brings lots to their team, and having either of team in a team is huge advantage. Two of them in same team would do wonders.

I hope we sign Courcuff whether Cesc stays or not, this summer or next, doesn't matter. Courcuff has already proven himself. Its not his fault people don't watch the france league or their national team :p

Abs

Established Member

Czar said:
I don't get why we should even compare Courcuff and Cesc. They are completely different kind of players, who brings lots to their team, and having either of team in a team is huge advantage. Two of them in same team would do wonders.

I hope we sign Courcuff whether Cesc stays or not, this summer or next, doesn't matter. Courcuff has already proven himself. Its not his fault people don't watch the france league or their national team :p

he hasnt been consistent in the french league, the quality is there, but he's not a week in week out performer

Czar

Just like Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky,Walcott.. Should I go on?

It is not unusual for players to go through inconsistent moments in their game. Its true Courcuff hasn't had as great season like the earlier one, but he has been good and the reason they fought the title.

More then the French league.. He has carried their national team to World Cup and lot of hopes ride on him to hit form for them to have a chance. He is that good.

otfgoon

Established Member

First of all Czar, its Gourcuff, with a G, not a C.

Secondly I am a big fan of the guy, but he carried the national team to the World Cup? He contributed 1 goal and the odd assist to an incredibly poorly functioning attack. Considering his role in the side was to make them tick he didn't do too well for the national side at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom