• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yuri Zhirkov

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/09/Premier-League-Zhirkov-linked-with-Arsenal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/ ... h-Arsenal/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjJuc2Qxek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjJuc2Qxek</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhzI8WaWVA&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhzI8WaWVA&feature=related</a>

IBL

Established Member
Looks like a tidy player, very much doubt it'll happen but it does have a whiff of a Wenger type signing.

If the price is right then who knows, could also provide decent cover for Clichy (if he can defend)

raidersoftheark

Established Member
He was a fantastic LB during the Euros, and from what I've heard, he's an even better LW.

This would be an immense signing. A first 11 starter on the wing, and quality backup should Clichy get crocked.

Pádraig

He was outstanding during the Euros and was included in a lot of peoples team of the tournament. I could definitely see Wenger going for him because he's still at the age where he can improve certain aspects of his game. He has a lot of energy and could provide us with some badly needed width (and cover for Clichy).

kamikaze80

Established Member
good player, really liked him overlapping as a LB and seemed solid defensively, but havent seen enough of him to have an informed opinion as to whether he'd be up to scratch as a LM.

nazo

Established Member
So would people want him on the left wing because there is no way he's better than Clichy. I don't know if he's the kind of player that would accept playing from the bench for most of the season.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
kamikaze80 said:
good player, really liked him overlapping as a LB and seemed solid defensively, but havent seen enough of him to have an informed opinion as to whether he'd be up to scratch as a LM.
Well I've read that he plays as a left-winger for CSKA, and is nicknamed "Russian Ronaldinho" for his dribbling skills, so he's a natural replacement for Hleb. :)

From what I've seen, he's a good player but Chelsea want him as well.

qs

Established Member
Nah he's more a LM than a LB anyway. Him and CLichy on the left would be a great combo. He'd be a great replacement for Hleb.

There'd be the added bonus for us that he could cover Clichy at LB too. I'd ****ing love it if Wenger took the Hleb money and spent it on him. He said he wished he'd seen Arshavin at 21, Zhirkovs only 24, plenty of years left in him and he looks fitter than Arshavin too and more suited to the wing in the Prem where you'd be expected to track back and help out the defence. Gah! He'd be perfect for us.

I'm too excited by this. Means it definitely wont happen.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
I know wenger is good friends with CSKA coach Valery Gazzaev

Setanta make out we are in for him but a russian journo who wrote the article said he SHOULD go to either go Chelsea BUT especially Arsenal after Hiddink says he needs to play in a big europe league

Setanta are nearly as bad as Tribal, ive never took them seriously anyway

nazo

Established Member
Actually now that i think of it, signing him wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Like you said, he can cover the LB and he's a good winger so why not?

Depends on how much he will cost though. After the euros his price was probably doubled. I read that ManU were after him, and he even admitted he was close to signing for them.

qs

Established Member
Setanta broke the Sagna story. I always thought they were more reliable than SSN actually.

If we could get him for less than Hleb is sold for it'd be great business.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I am impressed by Zhirkov's performance in Euro, but he's a bit too old for Wenger's type of signing. He looks like a wing back to me.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
Hes a very good leftback, but not a very good winger. It would be great to have him as back-up for Clichy, but at the moment we have far more important positions to cover then that of Clichy's back-up. I don't know from where it is that some of you get the idea that just because a player is a full back he can play as a winger as well, I've heard people on here mention the possibility of Traore, Gibbs, Clichy, Toure, Sagna, Eboue and now this guy being possible options on the wings. The only thing full backs and wingers have in common, in most cases, is that they both occupy the left side of the field.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom