• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aleksandr Kokorin

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Btw, when Russia needed the win against Sweden in Euro qualifying (first game with a new coach), he played mostly on the right wing, and absolutely tore the Swedish defense apart.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Yes, Izvestia did indeed report this and they are the most reliable newspaper in Russia and has been for a long long time. It also seems from the article that Kokorin is keen to come here and play for Wenger's team. His contract ends in the summer and Dinamo (his current club) is facing huge financial trouble. Sounds exactly the type of situation Wenger likes to use to get a bargain deal.

What I know about him is that he is currently Russia's best attacking player and one with the highest ceiling . Mostly plays CF but has played on the wing for the national team. Tall but much more athletic than Giroud or the Lord though I wouldn't call him fast either. Pretty good technical ability. Can score goals but also has an eye for a pass. Basically Wenger's wet dream as far as target men are concerned. Though I wouldn't call him one per se, more like he is a skilled forward who, due to his height, can also perform the role of a target man.

I believe he has potential to be a top player and Wenger would be just the person to bring that potential out. I would be really excited if this went through.

Could be his agent feeding the media ofcourse. How good is he? I've seen his youtube clips. He looks to have great striking technique but I can't really make out the rest of his game.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Could be his agent feeding the media ofcourse. How good is he? I've seen his youtube clips. He looks to have great striking technique but I can't really make out the rest of his game.
The best part about him is that he is a complete player. Good technically, can dribble, good vision and passing, good in the air as well. Above average pace, very athletic, good height, "smart" player as well. Can help with the build up. Probably as close to a complete forward as can get. Just entering his prime at 24, so perfect age to grab him.

Having said all that, I'm not sure he'd be "Arsenal" quality, hard to tell at this point. Won't find a better player for 6M, no question about that.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Apparently he has no intention of signing a new deal with Dinamo (his contract is up this summer- I think) so maybe his team is shopping him a round-a connection with Arsenal may drive up his value.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Has Russia produced a top attacker in the last 20 years? Can't think of one.
Doesn't mean it can't happen. When was Russia's last Arshavin level midfielder before him? Russia produced one of the best keepers in the history of the sport (Yashin) in the 50-60s, does that automatically make us a factory for top goaltenders?

Besides, Russia usually does well in junior football tournaments and there are many attacking teenage prospects. The problem is that the environment and coaching is lacking in order to take those prospects to the next level. There is no question about Kokorin's potential and talent, he just needs the right guidance to take him to the next level and who better to do that than Wenger?

Last edited:

Bananacoffee

Has Russia produced a top attacker in the last 20 years? Can't think of one.

Weird that Russia isn't a more dominant national team honestly, especially with the lack of testing programmes for doping in association football ;)

@RUS arsenal given the choice between Welbeck and Kokorin who would be a better striker for us?
Never seen Kokorin but the posts in here seem pretty encouraging.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Weird that Russia isn't a more dominant national team honestly, especially with the lack of testing programmes for doping in association football ;)

@RUS arsenal given the choice between Welbeck and Kokorin who would be a better striker for us?
Never seen Kokorin but the posts in here seem pretty encouraging.
I'd say Kokorin is better in every aspect except pure raw physical ability (though Kokorin is no slouch there either). Crucially, Kokorin is a more reliable finisher and actually has a footballing brain. The only question is if he can keep up with the PL game speed and physicality.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I'd say Kokorin is better in every aspect except pure raw physical ability (though Kokorin is no slouch there either). Crucially, Kokorin is a more reliable finisher and actually has a footballing brain. The only question is if he can keep up with the PL game speed and physicality.
That seems like a concern but he is mostly going to be rotated.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

I don't doubt he is a good player, but I'm not feeling it with any of the names being thrown around now.

We have Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck who all have their obvious strengths and weaknesses, but have in common that none of them are world-class. What would be the point in adding another player who isn't? We should be aiming higher, in my opinion.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
I don't doubt he is a good player, but I'm not feeling it with any of the names being thrown around now.

We have Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck who all have their obvious strengths and weaknesses, but have in common that none of them are world-class. What would be the point in adding another player who isn't? We should be aiming higher, in my opinion.
Unlike the 3 we have, Kokorin has a complete game and is not limited by any one aspect, so perhaps it is worth taking a chance on him just for that. Honestly, I'm not feeling Welbeck and Theo is a bit too injury prone to be relied on while Giroud can't do it on his own.

Plus, whenever I watch Kokorin play, I get a feeling that he has something special about him. Similar to Arshavin, he can make things happen by himself and if Wenger can bring that out then...

pikey2000

Strikers don't often burst onto the scene at a young age an be instant worldie's - Lewandowski is a prime example, Dortmund took a punt and he developed to the level he is now.

Suarez was at a good level at Ajax but he stepped another couple of levels since those days, no-one could see Henry becoming the player he did when he joined us, Costa whilst he hasn't been great this season is a player that grafted his way to top level over time, Ibrahimovic, always talented but has delivered his best days post 25 years......

In this market where there is a distinct lack of quality strikers AVAILABLE you may as well try and find the next Lewandowski

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Strikers don't often burst onto the scene at a young age an be instant worldie's - Lewandowski is a prime example, Dortmund took a punt and he developed to the level he is now.

Suarez was at a good level at Ajax but he stepped another couple of levels since those days, no-one could see Henry becoming the player he did when he joined us, Costa whilst he hasn't been great this season is a player that grafted his way to top level over time, Ibrahimovic, always talented but has delivered his best days post 25 years......

In this market where there is a distinct lack of quality strikers AVAILABLE you may as well try and find the next Lewandowski

RVP too and PEA at Dortmund is a recent example. If a player has the right technique, skill, physical talents and intelligence then they can develop at a bigger club and peak. I don't know enough about this kid to judge him. He has very good shooting technique, our Russian posters seems to rate his all round game.

So if our scouts really rate him maybe he could be a top talent even if he is 'only' scoring 1 in 2 in Russia. But he could be another cheapy Chamakh or a Park type deal for all we know.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Chamakh isn't good enough to tie his shoelaces, much less be worthy of a comparison. Besides, the 2 are as different as night and day style-wise. Kokorin doesn't play primarily with his back to the goal and is nowhere as limited as Chamakh either.

Last edited:

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Hmm....Kokorin's agent said that Arsenal hasn't contacted him or Kokorin about a transfer...

Although it doesn't actually mean that we haven't as we like to do things quietly, it does however mean that there is no set agreement yet. I really hope there is genuine interest here as I would be over the moon if we signed him.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom