• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

law90026

Established Member
I'm fairly confident that Wenger very well knows that this club will implode if he isn't extremely aggressive this summer, a large number besides Özil and Alexis have to be replaced. What is questionable though at this moment is which rate of talent he is able to lure over to this club.
The point is that there isn't enough money to do so. The names that have been mentioned are or will be hot names in the market. There are going to be other clubs going after them.

We aren't going to get market value for Özil and Sanchez either simply because they have 12 months left on their contracts.

Realistically? Maybe 1 WC player (if at all) and a bunch of average players is the likelihood.

happyhappy

I don't care about winning the championship but at least the team can give it a try. Here the team isn't bothered just like the manager and the board. Last few seasons I have noticed that the board and Arsène don't care about fans anymore. There is a total disconnect between fans and the club.

More importantly is the man won't change his methods, or he simply can't change at all. When the manager don't react, we can't expect the players to adapt to changes on the field.

He won't change even if we get relegated, just to prove that whatever his philosophy is works and he wants more years to have another go. Its that simple, no change = same old crap = more rants from the fans.

Crazycarrots

The point is that there isn't enough money to do so. The names that have been mentioned are or will be hot names in the market. There are going to be other clubs going after them.

We aren't going to get market value for Özil and Sanchez either simply because they have 12 months left on their contracts.

Realistically? Maybe 1 WC player (if at all) and a bunch of average players is the likelihood.

Even if there was enough money, does anyone actually trust Wenger to buy the right players and get the best out of them?

Kingslayer

Forza Milan

We'll get Reus and that Pablo Fornals guy whose going for €3m. We'll spend the summer in a fruitless chase for one of MBappe/Lacazette/PEA/Lukaku.

Reus will spend 81% of his time here injured.

Preacher

Always Crying
Even if there was enough money, does anyone actually trust Wenger to buy the right players and get the best out of them?
No, we need competent director of football badly, who could tweak or change our current transfers approach. Does anybody remember what respectable agent Jon Smith wrote in his book 'The Deal' about our transfers strategy and style ?

In his book ‘The Deal’, Jon Smith recounts his memories of working on some of the biggest transfers in English football history as, together with his brother Phil, he built the country’s first major sporting agency, housing more than 400 clients at its peak.

Smith writes: “Since Stan Kroenke took a majority shareholding in the club, they have created matrices for players, a bit like Moneyball.

"And if a player doesn’t quite meet all the criteria, the matrix tells them not to offer more than a certain amount. That is what Arsène means when he talks about value.

“Four years ago, they bought a company called StatDNA in Chicago, which owns an operation in Cambodia where they crunch every conceivable number relating to a footballer.

"They will take a player and collate data based on every pass, sprint, shot, assist, goal – you name it – he has ever made. These stats are fed into a computer that assesses strengths and weaknesses against every professional in the game before producing an overall value of that player.

“Arsenal tend to use statistics to raise questions or confirm observations on possible targets and sometimes unearth players for scouting. There are occasions where it will cause them to re-examine a candidate who has been scouted, but senior figures at the club believe the data can remove doubts that they might otherwise have had or encourage them to sign a player from their rivals.

“Arsenal insist they take decisions primarily driven by scouting, and the human rather than numerical characteristics of a potential target. Ultimately all decisions are made by Arsène.”

“Arsenal’s operational model is based on an American corporate style,” Smith told Standard Sport. “I think StatDNA takes time to churn out the information they need. Of course, they can monitor players all year round but an individual’s statistical data changes with every game. That probably slows the system down.

“Fans have got to understand that while we all grow up with tribal loyalties in our hearts, clubs are businesses now. Arsenal is the archetypal co-habiting club in sport and business. It crosses that divide. It may be a bit lugubrious in its football dealings sometimes but that’s because it is a business.

“If I have a criticism of them, it is that they are stand-off-ish in the transfer market. They don’t always make the running because they are Arsenal and think that is enough.

"Nowadays, nobody cares who you are – it's just Jerry Maguire: show me the money. They sometimes have a corporate stand-off mentality that doesn’t play well even though they are all very decent and professional people.”

Wenger has often faced personal criticism for his lack of decisiveness in the market but Smith warned Arsenal fans that when the Frenchman eventually steps down, his successor will need to quickly adapt to an agent world that has changed dramatically.

“It is a system that has Arsène at its core and will take years to change – just look at Manchester United post Sir Alex Ferguson and only someone with the strength of Jose Mourinho’s character – and importantly his contacts – have threatened a revival again,” he said.

“He has shifted the United system to work for him and using Jorge Mendes and Mino Raiola, they were able to land big players like Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

“Raiola and Mendes are buddies but hey are both territorial beasts. For Arsenal to dominate, the next manager has to be hooked into that global network to tap into the senior agents who control the top end of the market even more so than I did in my day.

P.s. I despise all these so called 'super-agents', but they're ruling players market nowadays, we need to adapt.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

No, we need competent director of football badly, who could tweak or change our current transfers approach. Does anybody remember what respectable agent Jon Smith wrote in his book 'The Deal' about our transfers strategy and style ?

In his book ‘The Deal’, Jon Smith recounts his memories of working on some of the biggest transfers in English football history as, together with his brother Phil, he built the country’s first major sporting agency, housing more than 400 clients at its peak.

Smith writes: “Since Stan Kroenke took a majority shareholding in the club, they have created matrices for players, a bit like Moneyball.

"And if a player doesn’t quite meet all the criteria, the matrix tells them not to offer more than a certain amount. That is what Arsène means when he talks about value.

“Four years ago, they bought a company called StatDNA in Chicago, which owns an operation in Cambodia where they crunch every conceivable number relating to a footballer.

"They will take a player and collate data based on every pass, sprint, shot, assist, goal – you name it – he has ever made. These stats are fed into a computer that assesses strengths and weaknesses against every professional in the game before producing an overall value of that player.

“Arsenal tend to use statistics to raise questions or confirm observations on possible targets and sometimes unearth players for scouting. There are occasions where it will cause them to re-examine a candidate who has been scouted, but senior figures at the club believe the data can remove doubts that they might otherwise have had or encourage them to sign a player from their rivals.

“Arsenal insist they take decisions primarily driven by scouting, and the human rather than numerical characteristics of a potential target. Ultimately all decisions are made by Arsène.”

“Arsenal’s operational model is based on an American corporate style,” Smith told Standard Sport. “I think StatDNA takes time to churn out the information they need. Of course, they can monitor players all year round but an individual’s statistical data changes with every game. That probably slows the system down.

“Fans have got to understand that while we all grow up with tribal loyalties in our hearts, clubs are businesses now. Arsenal is the archetypal co-habiting club in sport and business. It crosses that divide. It may be a bit lugubrious in its football dealings sometimes but that’s because it is a business.

“If I have a criticism of them, it is that they are stand-off-ish in the transfer market. They don’t always make the running because they are Arsenal and think that is enough.

"Nowadays, nobody cares who you are – it's just Jerry Maguire: show me the money. They sometimes have a corporate stand-off mentality that doesn’t play well even though they are all very decent and professional people.”

Wenger has often faced personal criticism for his lack of decisiveness in the market but Smith warned Arsenal fans that when the Frenchman eventually steps down, his successor will need to quickly adapt to an agent world that has changed dramatically.

“It is a system that has Arsène at its core and will take years to change – just look at Manchester United post Sir Alex Ferguson and only someone with the strength of Jose Mourinho’s character – and importantly his contacts – have threatened a revival again,” he said.

“He has shifted the United system to work for him and using Jorge Mendes and Mino Raiola, they were able to land big players like Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

“Raiola and Mendes are buddies but hey are both territorial beasts. For Arsenal to dominate, the next manager has to be hooked into that global network to tap into the senior agents who control the top end of the market even more so than I did in my day.

P.s. I despise all these so called 'super-agents', but they're ruling players market nowadays, we need to adapt.
We definitely need to get over our whole 'Too honourable to deal with super agents' thing.

We're ****, we don't have that luxury.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

So wondering why they bought Xhaka then , doesn't strike me as a stats dna player .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Everybody knows how much I love Arsenal - I became a fan. And to be out here [in front of the Emirates as a statue] celebrating a goal against Sp*rs, there's not much else to say after that. Like I've said before: Once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom