• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Arsenal vs Man City | 02/04/2017| 16:00 GMT | Sky Sports 1

How will Arsenal let us down on Sunday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I was kidding mate, I don't think he intended to be disrespectful with the brainwash comment but I can see why you'd take offence.
I know, that's why I included the Daily Planet and that hack Clark Kent.:lol: I'm not mad at you mate just Wenger,Gazidis, Kroenke and players who don't respect the shirt.

OShea's2010

Again. There is a difference between what he is saying and how he is saying it.

I sense you dont like him because he speaks something that goes against your narrative.

I suppose with that logic you must think the world of DT's behaviour. An absolute gentleman surely ;)
I understand why some people may not be keen on DT but I agree with most of what he says. I've no problem with a differing opinion as long as there's some sense of logic involved. not something easily associated with Ty

scytheavatar

Established Member
My point was AFTV has worsened the atmosphere. It's not the sole cause, obviously.

We've definitely had worse teams than this under Wenger btw, not sure how long you've been a fan. There was a time Van Judas was flanked by Benayoun and Gervinho, with Squillaci in defence.

Bad results cause negativity, I get that. AFTV are quite the brand ATM, their influence is growing stronger too. Protests and such are being organised as a result of some AFTV regulars. Don't underestimate the impact they're having.

The way Mustafi has been playing, he's essentially Squillaci. Welbeck and Iwobi has been s*** Gervinhos. Ramsey and Coq have been in such poor form that they make Song look like Vieira. How could the fans be happy when things have degarded to such a state?

(And real talk, not sure why you brought out Benayoun because IMHO he's the best signing Wenger has ever made since the 2007/2008).

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Reflecting on the game we were lucky to come away with a point. Especially when City were pressing after the first goal and hit the upright. Not sure we would have come back from 0-2 down. Regardless, our defence is simply woeful. It can be cut through with one or two simple passes. The defensive positioning is bad. The midfield provides no cover or pressure. Actually feel the midfield is by far our biggest problem. An example is Walcott. He did some defensive work in the beginning of the season. That has totally tailed of. Özil is non-existent in defence. Coq and Xhaka lunge into every tackle and are in constant threat of a red making them ineffective in defence for large parts of the game. We are a real mess. At leat City were not much better. They have similar issues just better attacking players and worse defensive.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Don't know if anybody's said it yet, but I thought Monreal had a good game. For the most part, he bossed that left side.

He looked dangerous in their box and got to the baseline on a couple of occasions. His defensive headers were effective and he blocked Sterling several times without much help.

Ballerin otoh was out if position on a few occasions and struggled to attack with any menace.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Don't know if anybody's said it yet, but I thought Monreal had a good game. For the most part, he bossed that left side.

He looked dangerous in their box and got to the baseline on a couple of occasions. His defensive headers were effective and he blocked Sterling several times without much help.

Ballerin otoh was out if position on a few occasions and struggled to attack with any menace.
I said it on the Monreal thread. I made him our MOM. He linked up well with Sanchez and was strong in defence.

mm76

Yer Da
soem thoughts on yesterday:

Overall I enjoyed the game - end-to-end stuff and we equalised twice- still not good enough but much better

- was glad to see a bit of passion from Wenger and also the team - at least they turned up and who knows it might make them hungry to do better - even Coq showed one or two nice touches in the second half

- Walcott took his goal extremely well, how often do players mess those situations up

- Iwobi should have done much better with his chance - he should have at least made the goalie make a save - Giroud was following up so who knows he may be have had a rebound which even he couldn't miss

- can't understand the Welbeck hate here - he nearly scored early on (prevented by good defending) and was always lively and keeping the defenders busy - not everything he tried came off but my guess is if he can score a goal or two it will come back. Giroud coming on really showed the contrast between a player who's trying to make things happen and a bearded lamppost

- Monreal was mostly superb and he and Alexis really made things happen although tbf Navas isn't a natural RB

- BUT I agree with the comment made somewhere here that we were playing against a team playing fairly openly - the real measure of whether we are improving will be the hammers game on Weds

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Realistically a point is a poor result. They had Navas up against our best attacker. We should have demolished them down that side. Meanwhile Clichy was at his Arsenal best overall they were there to be taken.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Realistically a point is a poor result. They had Navas up against our best attacker. We should have demolished them down that side. Meanwhile Clichy was at his Arsenal best overall they were there to be taken.
Clichy was totally at fault with Theo's goal. He trailed his leg which kept Walcott onside, then fluffed his clearance attempt. I'll take it, may he defend thus in the semis.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

soem thoughts on yesterday:

Overall I enjoyed the game - end-to-end stuff and we equalised twice- still not good enough but much better

- was glad to see a bit of passion from Wenger and also the team - at least they turned up and who knows it might make them hungry to do better - even Coq showed one or two nice touches in the second half

- Walcott took his goal extremely well, how often do players mess those situations up

- Iwobi should have done much better with his chance - he should have at least made the goalie make a save - Giroud was following up so who knows he may be have had a rebound which even he couldn't miss

- can't understand the Welbeck hate here - he nearly scored early on (prevented by good defending) and was always lively and keeping the defenders busy - not everything he tried came off but my guess is if he can score a goal or two it will come back. Giroud coming on really showed the contrast between a player who's trying to make things happen and a bearded lamppost

- Monreal was mostly superb and he and Alexis really made things happen although tbf Navas isn't a natural RB

- BUT I agree with the comment made somewhere here that we were playing against a team playing fairly openly - the real measure of whether we are improving will be the hammers game on Weds
That's a pretty fair summary except to say that Xhaka and Coq were poor for a lot of match. But the last 20mins they got it together and were positionally and defensively much better.

Gabriel made a couple of good defensive headers and blocks too. Who knew?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But it showed that our players were nervous. And it's hard to play your best under pressure. That string of defeats and the Wenger fiasco . . . not easy to relax and play with confidence. The team did well considering.

mm76

Yer Da
Gabriel made a couple if good defensive headers and blocks too. Who knew?

:) yes i added that to the Gabriel thread but should have put here too.

early on Xhaka or Coq looked like they were conspiring to get us down to ten men, but they sorted it out in the second half i think, although i still think that Xhaka tackle on Toure, though he did get the ball, was risky to say the least, given he was on a yellow

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

If I know my boss is leaving, I still turn up and do my job to the best of my ability. I can't afford not to.
That's very true. But football is bit different, your brain is on autopilot making split second decisions. If you're nervous you can't concentrate.

History is littered with musicians that are note perfect in practise but go to pieces on stage.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
That's very true. But football is bit different, your brain is on autopilot making split second decisions. If you're nervous you can't concentrate.

History is littered with musicians that are note perfect in practise but go to pieces on stage.
But they are allegedly good at football, can't they leave all of the other dross the other side of the white line and go into autopilot too, playing a game they love? It's not like they'll be poor if they do badly, so just get on with it and prove the doubters wrong.

Ashybashy86

"I scored a goal today and came close in another attempt, but of course I'm happy to be substituted, especially in a big game when we should score another goal"

Do we want this kind of mentality instead? I'm sure I'd hate to see a player happy to come off in a game like this. After the game, he can assess his performance.
Not sure why he was the one subbed. He and Sanchez were the only ones giving everything and trying to make things happen. I personally would've swapped Welbz and Sanchez round, and subbed Özil for Iwobi. Risky and I'm not the manager, so oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.
Top Bottom