• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'd like us to evaluate and buy a new central midfielder based primarily on their defensive qualities - how many tackles and interceptions they make - instead of their style of play or their offensive qualities. That in itself would be a big step in the right direction.

I really like Doucoure. He isn't a pure defensive midfielder like Perreira, but he is so switched on defensively and has really underrated passing. He can switch the play and play forward passes between the lines. He also moves the ball very quickly. If Wenger doesn't just want a holding midfielder and wants someone who can do both as well as carry the ball and win headers. I can't see a better option.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I really like Doucoure. He isn't a pure defensive midfielder like Perreira, but he is so switched on defensively and has really underrated passing. He can switch the play and play forward passes between the lines. He also moves the ball very quickly. If Wenger doesn't just want a holding midfielder and wants someone who can do both as well as carry the ball and win headers. I can't see a better option.

Doucoure is very impressive, he reminds me a bit of Matuidi at his peak. He has a very rangy stamina with an ability to cover ground and move play forward. You're right he isn't a pure DM, maybe more like a defensive-minded box-to-box midfielder.

But I'd be very open to Doucoure, because his defensive stats are better than what we currently have: 2.3 tackles p/g, 1.6 interceptions p/g, 1.7 clearances p/g & 1.2 aerial duals p/g. He also has good pass completion, dribbles and key passes. So he's an all-rounder, he accomplishes a lot for the team.

On the other hand there are players off the top of my head with better defensive stats:

-Ndidi: 4.2 tackles p/g, 1.3 interceptions p/g, 2.8 clearances p/g & 3.1 aerial duals p/g
-Fabinho: 3.7 tackles p/g, 1 interception p/g, 1.5 clearances p/g & 2.8 aerial duals p/g
-Ascacibar: 3 tackles p/g, 2.6 interceptions p/g, 0.9 clearances p/g & 1.1 aerial duals p/g
-Torreira: 2.9 tackles p/g, 2.1 interceptions p/g, 0.8 clearances p/g & 0.6 aerial duals p/g

As you can see Ndidi's stats are incredible, in terms of defensive work he's leading the pack. I read somewhere that he's made 20 more tackles than anyone else this season. He falls down though on his pass completion which is about 75% while Doucoure, Fabinho, Ascacibar & Torreira all complete about 10% more of their passes. But those stats don't give the full picture and it depends on which type of passes he's attempting. Ascacibar for instance is very safe in his passing, while Torreira is much more positive and creative.

Just looking at the rough picture, Fabinho combines defensive work with all-round play the best and so he would be the ideal candidate, not to mention his experience at a high level. If you want someone purely to provide defensive work instead of all-round play then Ndidi is the ideal candidate. If you want more of a creative defensive midfielder who can orchestrate play then Torreira is who I'd suggest.

My wildcard suggestion would be Denis Zakaria from Monchengladbach: 2.3 tackles p/g, 2.4 interceptions p/g, 1.3 clearances p/g, 0.8 aerial duals p/g and he also completes 1.2 dribbles p/g. He's still very young and quite raw in my opinion, he's also not a pure DM but more of a defensive minded b-2-b. I think he needs another year of development to be ready for a club like Arsenal, but he has huge potential. Physically he could be the most dominant player of all those I've listed.

Where Doucoure comes in is that he's 25 and at a good age to perform but still with room to mature, he's used to the premier league, he provides much needed mobility and athleticism but he also excels at all-round play and could fit into a possession-based footballing side. He also probably wouldn't be as expensive as Fabinho or Ndidi for example.

So yeah, not a bad option by any means.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Doucoure is very impressive, he reminds me a bit of Matuidi at his peak. He has a very rangy stamina with an ability to cover ground and move play forward. You're right he isn't a pure DM, maybe more like a defensive-minded box-to-box midfielder.

But I'd be very open to Doucoure, because his defensive stats are better than what we currently have: 2.3 tackles p/g, 1.6 interceptions p/g, 1.7 clearances p/g & 1.2 aerial duals p/g. He also has good pass completion, dribbles and key passes. So he's an all-rounder, he accomplishes a lot for the team.

On the other hand there are players off the top of my head with better defensive stats:

-Ndidi: 4.2 tackles p/g, 1.3 interceptions p/g, 2.8 clearances p/g & 3.1 aerial duals p/g
-Fabinho: 3.7 tackles p/g, 1 interception p/g, 1.5 clearances p/g & 2.8 aerial duals p/g
-Ascacibar: 3 tackles p/g, 2.6 interceptions p/g, 0.9 clearances p/g & 1.1 aerial duals p/g
-Torreira: 2.9 tackles p/g, 2.1 interceptions p/g, 0.8 clearances p/g & 0.6 aerial duals p/g

As you can see Ndidi's stats are incredible, in terms of defensive work he's leading the pack. I read somewhere that he's made 20 more tackles than anyone else this season. He falls down though on his pass completion which is about 75% while Doucoure, Fabinho, Ascacibar & Torreira all complete about 10% more of their passes. But those stats don't give the full picture and it depends on which type of passes he's attempting. Ascacibar for instance is very safe in his passing, while Torreira is much more positive and creative.

Just looking at the rough picture, Fabinho combines defensive work with all-round play the best and so he would be the ideal candidate, not to mention his experience at a high level. If you want someone purely to provide defensive work instead of all-round play then Ndidi is the ideal candidate. If you want more of a creative defensive midfielder who can orchestrate play then Torreira is who I'd suggest.

My wildcard suggestion would be Denis Zakaria from Monchengladbach: 2.3 tackles p/g, 2.4 interceptions p/g, 1.3 clearances p/g, 0.8 aerial duals p/g and he also completes 1.2 dribbles p/g. He's still very young and quite raw in my opinion, he's also not a pure DM but more of a defensive minded b-2-b. I think he needs another year of development to be ready for a club like Arsenal, but he has huge potential. Physically he could be the most dominant player of all those I've listed.

Where Doucoure comes in is that he's 25 and at a good age to perform but still with room to mature, he's used to the premier league, he provides much needed mobility and athleticism but he also excels at all-round play and could fit into a possession-based footballing side. He also probably wouldn't be as expensive as Fabinho or Ndidi for example.

So yeah, not a bad option by any means.

Just to give some context to those figures, here are the stats of the DMs of the top 6 clubs:

- Xhaka: 1.7 tackles p/g, 1 interception p/g, 1.4 clearances p/g & 1.1 aerial duals p/g
- Fernandinho: 2 tackles p/g, 1.5 interceptions p/g, 2 clearances p/g & 2.7 aerial duals p/g
- Matic: 1.8 tackles p/g, 1.8 interceptions p/g, 1.5 clearances p/g & 1.7 aerial duals p/g
- Kante: 3.3 tackles p/g, 2.1 interceptions p/g, 0.8 clearances p/g & 0.6 aerial duals p/g
- Dier: 1.7 tackles p/g, 1.2 interceptions p/g, 2.8 clearances p/g & 2.4 aerial duals p/g
- Can: 2.5 tackles p/g, 1.1 interceptions p/g, 1.1 clearances p/g & 2 aerial duals p/g

Of 20 possible instances in which Xhaka could outperform a competitor in a given department, he only outperforms in 3 instances. Of 24 Doucoure outperforms in 14, Fabinho in 15 while Ndidi outperforms in 20 out of 24.

Not that we need stats to confirm that we need a better DM, we can see that with our own eyes. It's just an indication of how far we lag behind our rivals in that department and it therefore emphasises how important the defensive qualities of whoever we bring in are in closing that gap.

Windowlicker

Squad :
Oblak (60m)
Cech
Odriozola (20m)
Bellerin
Kolasinac
Monreal
Mavropanos
Mustafi
Koscielny
Holding
De Vrij ( end of contract)
Xhaka
Wilshere
Fabinho (50m)
Niles
Willock
Ramsey
Özil
Iwobi
Fekir (50m)
Reiss Nelson
Mkhitaryan
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Nketiah

Sell Chambers, Perez, Campbell, Ospina, Welbeck, Elneny
Santi, Mert and Akpom released

JuanCarlosValeron

Out: Koscielny 20, Kolasinac 30, Chambers 20, El Nenny 10, Xhaka 45, Ramsey 50, Welbeck 20:

In: Oblak 60, De Vrij 25 (release clause), Skriniar 60, Sessegnon 30, Diawara 50, Torreira 25 (release clause), Pavon 28 (release clause).

Net spend: 83

4-3-3:
GK: Oblak/Cech
RB: Bellerin/Osei-Tutu
CB: Skriniar/Mustafi
CB: De Vrij/ Holding
LB: Sessegnon/Monreal
RCM: Torreira/Willock
CM: Diawara/AMN
LCM: Özil (C)/Wilshere
RW: Nelson/ Mkhitaryan
CF: Aubameyang/Lacazette
LW: Pavon/Iwobi

TornadoTed

Established Member
Out: Koscielny 20, Kolasinac 30, Chambers 20, El Nenny 10, Xhaka 45, Ramsey 50, Welbeck 20:

In: Oblak 60, De Vrij 25 (release clause), Skriniar 60, Sessegnon 30, Diawara 50, Torreira 25 (release clause), Pavon 28 (release clause).

Net spend: 83

4-3-3:
GK: Oblak/Cech
RB: Bellerin/Osei-Tutu
CB: Skriniar/Mustafi
CB: De Vrij/ Holding
LB: Sessegnon/Monreal
RCM: Torreira/Willock
CM: Diawara/AMN
LCM: Özil (C)/Wilshere
RW: Nelson/ Mkhitaryan
CF: Aubameyang/Lacazette
LW: Pavon/Iwobi

While that would be a fantastic squad I can't see most of those outgoings fetching those sort of prices for various reasons. We would do well to get half of those figures for Kosielny (age), Kolasinac (wages) & Xhaka (form).

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
The sheer number of good young French CBs out there right now is almost a joke: Pavard, Upamecano, Kimpembe, Sarr, Diop, Lucas Hernandez, Diakhaby, Diallo, Zagadou, Mukiele, Lenglet, Gnagnon etc. Not to mention Varane, Umtiti & Laporte. If France don't win the World Cup in the next 8-12 years there'll be some questions asked.

Emmanueleboue2

We still have a lot of easily sellable dross. Chambers(15m), Holding(10-15m), Ospina(5-7m), Elneny(10), Welbeck(20m), Lucas(5m, not as easy), Campbell(5m, not as easy) and then mertesacker and cazorla retiring.
will give us 60-80m.

Lets say we will spend close to 100m net which is what people are suggesting. so we will have room for 2-3 elite players.

Gk: Oblak(60m)/T.Horn(4)

Its not out of the question to bring in 2 cbs( Diallo + De vrji/Rugani/Tag/manolas).

Midfielders: L.Torrera(20m RC)/Fabinho(50), M.Meyer(0)

attackers: L.Bailley(60)/Fekir(60)/Malcolm(40)

So we have to choose wisely

Oblak is a neccesity if possible, 60m

De vrji + Diallo should be around 20m

Lucas Torrera for 20m would be insane, but M.Meyer on free would be okish.

I would go for bailley at 60m

So in total oblak,de vrji, diallo, torrera, bailley.

Oblak/cech
Bellerin/AMN, De vrji/Diallo, Koschielny/Mustafi, Kolasinac/monreal
Wilshere/Xhaka, L.Torrera/Ramsey
Bailley/Nelson, Özil/Mkhy, Mkhy/lacazette
Auba/lacazette/Nketiah

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Lafont, Diallo, Zakaria & Ismaila Sarr. Jeune, noir & francophone.

Last edited:

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
After every loss my mind always ponders as to what I want to change with our team. First thing has to be our manager as we need some new and fresh tactics.

Diego Simeone is the man I want us to get this summer after Arsène Wenger leads us to glory in the Europa and we make it into the Champions League from that.

He is a manager who knows how to win and a manager who won't take lightly to players playing with no purpose. He will put the fear of death in them and will kick up a storm when they get it wrong. Diego Simeone is the manager we need to go full out for.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
After every loss my mind always ponders as to what I want to change with our team. First thing has to be our manager as we need some new and fresh tactics.

Diego Simeone is the man I want us to get this summer after Arséne Wenger leads us to glory in the Europa and we make it into the Champions League from that.

He is a manager who knows how to win and a manager who won't take lightly to players playing with no purpose. He will put the fear of death in them and will kick up a storm when they get it wrong. Diego Simeone is the manager we need to go full out for.
If we win the Europa, Wenger will see out his contract.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

Diego Simeone is the man I want us to get this summer after Arséne Wenger leads us to glory in the Europa and we make it into the Champions League from that.

The thrill of seeing Simeone kick the sh*t out of the 4th official in his all-black suit is tantalising.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

There's no way they would take anything but a slight loss on him, and we simply won't (/can't) afford that sort of outlay. Maybe a loan deal?
That's the only issue. He would have to be there a long time to be affordable for us, by then Messi and Suarez would be on their way out anyway.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom