• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The witch hunt of a manager who gets to the final of a cup competition by beating Chelsea over two legs, whose won 3 of his last 4 cup finals at Wembley in the last 5 years, whose up against the richest team ever assembled in history but who has won less recent trophies than Wenger despite all their money, who gets a better xG in the game and whose team creates yet misses the best opportunity of the game, where the opposition only get three shots on target

. . . but he's told he runs a team of spineless cowards and he ought to consider his job. That witch hunt.
Context, lad.

We're still fvcking sh1t. And we were still fvcking sh1t when we were winning those cups.

pacstud

No. Just... No. Not true at all. You seriously think building teams that are capable of being consistent and professional while remaining harmonious, is as simple as buying names? Well you and @Making Trax might. I can almost understand the latter thinking that way :lol:

pacstud

we were still fvcking sh1t when we were winning those cups.
I don't think I quite understand this.

Is the goal to win or to not be ****? Is there some aesthetic bar that must be cleared in addition to outscoring the opposition?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love titles AND artistic beauty...but I prefer winning.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Context, lad.

We're still fvcking sh1t. And we were still fvcking sh1t when we were winning those cups.
Remember, Wenger himself said a few years ago winning the Carling Cup is useless if you finish 11th while doing it. Now obviously he's not going to drop that low in the league, but it shows that he himself doesn't think that trophies paper over the cracks when you've under-performed in the league.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Context, lad.

If sh1t teams can win FACups how come Sp**s haven't won one for almost 30 years. Wenger's won 7 in that time.

When will it dawn, that your posts are just frustrated random junk lad. :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Remember, Wenger himself said a few years ago winning the Carling Cup is useless if you finish 11th while doing it. Now obviously he's not going to drop that low in the league, but it shows that he himself doesn't think that trophies paper over the cracks when you've under-performed in the league.
:lol:

In recent years trophies like FACups and league titles are the only accolades since all English teams have struggled in the CL . . and Wenger's won more than most teams.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I don't think I quite understand this.

Is the goal to win or to not be ****? Is there some aesthetic bar that must be cleared in addition to outscoring the opposition?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love titles AND artistic beauty...but I prefer winning.
That's what random frustration looks like . . . white noise. :lol:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Spend effectively?! Is that what he calls spending 70M Xhaka and Mustafi? Buying Perez, benching him, and then selling him back to his club at a loss? Buying a stiker for 52M not letting him finish a full 90, and then buying another striker - the same type of striker - for 70M (?) a mere 6 months later? Not to mention giving a 2M rise to a manager who has clearly lost the plot and whom the fans would much rather see gone?

Is that what he calls effective spending?

Fück off, Chips, seriously.

IslingtonBornandbred

Lois Langton Official Statement - Chair of the "ultra-conservative" Arsenal Independent Supporters' Trust based in London with a membership in the thousands many of whom are "match going" fans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For many supporters, yesterday’s match epitomised the problems that have been building for several seasons now,” she told Press Association Sport. What we witnessed was the culmination of years of arrogance and stubbornness. The solution is blindingly obvious and it is painful to watch what is happening to our wonderful club. Criticism is never easy to accept but constructive criticism should not be confused with negativity.

Manchester City are an outstanding team. It is no disgrace to lose to them. What is a disgrace is the manner of the loss, the repetition of mistakes that we have seen countless times before and the post-match sound bites that are offered up as some sort of justification for losses.

Yesterday’s match wasn’t met with anger and a chorus of “Wenger Out” chants. Instead, there was a sense of inevitability. Few went to the match with high expectations. What we now have amongst Arsenal supporters is a huge dose of apathy. It’s as if the fight has gone because supporters know it’s futile.

Yesterday’s match must mark a turning point, for the sake of our football club, the board must grasp the nettle. It is clear that steps (which are acknowledged and welcomed) have already been taken to secure the future of the club but the hardest decision of all still sits with the club and that concerns the manager. Nobody is denying what he has achieved for the club but that cannot be used as a self-serving justification to prevent change. It simply cannot continue. It is not about winning silverware. The problems are so much more deep-rooted than that and are undermining the values on which our club has been built.

IslingtonBornandbred

Spend effectively?! Is that what he calls spending 70M Xhaka and Mustafi? Buying Perez, benching him, and then selling him back to his club at a loss? Buying a stiker for 52M not letting him finish a full 90, and then buying another striker - the same type of striker - for 70M (?) a mere 6 months later? Not to mention giving a 2M rise to a manager who has clearly lost the plot and whom the fans would much rather see gone?

You forget we still need a centre back and a central midfielder like we have done for god knows how long. Koscielny has a long standing achilles injury which means he is a shadow of his former self and can flare up at any moment whilst Per wanted to retire last summer and is basically done at this level. Mustafi nearly left in the last few days of the summer window. Chambers, Giroud and Elneny were on the way out. Gabriel was sold. Ox was first choice RWB and then left abruptly and unexpectedly. We messed up the Alexis/Lemar deal in the summer. Cazorla was still predicted to come back and save the day.

Plenty more examples but basically anyone involved in this current mess shouldn't be allowed to touch the next "rebuilding process". I'm looking at Wenger and Steve Rowley who's already gone. Gazidis is merely an assistant on the football front now to Mislintat and Sanllehí.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
:lol:

In recent years trophies like FACups and league titles are the only accolades since all English teams have struggled in the CL . . and Wenger's won more than most teams.
He prioritised the league over domestic cups, so why should we not judge him by that metric?
Arséne Wenger last night claimed finishing third is better than winning the FA Cup.

Wenger will have to face up to the grim prospect of another season without a trophy unless Arsenal can claw themselves back into the title race with a victory at Chelsea tomorrow.

Arsenal supporters are getting restless because Wenger has not won anything since the FA Cup in 2005 and last season some fans even questioned the manager’s position after they finished empty-handed.

But Wenger risked upsetting Arsenal fans - and Aston Villa and Manchester United who contest this season’s final later this month - by claiming the League Cup is worthless compared to finishing in the Champions League places.

When asked whether finishing third in the Premier League was better than winning the FA Cup or League Cup, Wenger said: “Of course. It’s much more difficult. I want to win trophies and, like the fans, I’m frustrated if I don’t.

“It’s very important that we win something, we’re here to win trophies, but it depends on what you call trophies.

“Is it the Champions League, the Premier League, the League Cup? If you win the League Cup, for me, you cannot say you win trophies.

“A season in the English league when you fight with Manchester City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Aston Villa to finish in the top three is still not a disaster.

“It’s not enough because you want to win trophies. But you don’t say: ’oh what a terrible season that was.’ We’ve just qualified from the Group stage in the Champions League for the tenth consecutive season.

“That is, for me, three times as difficult as winning the League Cup five times. I know what’s difficult and what’s not difficult.

“But I know people want to parade with a trophy and if you don’t win a trophy you can’t do that. But it doesn’t mean the rest of the season has been completely useless. A season does not go from fantastic to zero.”

But Wenger has by no means given up on winning a trophy this season and insists Arsenal are still in the title race - and will be even if they lose at Chelsea tomorrow.

Wenger added: “We are in a situation - if we are in contact coming out of these games - where we will be in a very strong position. Let everyone write us off. Being six points behind is not dramatic.

“The team is mentally strong and dedicated. I see them everyday and I wouldn’t defend them if they didn’t have the right attitude. But they do have to find that final part to win the big games.”

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Lois Langton Official Statement - Chair of the "ultra-conservative" Arsenal Independent Supporters' Trust based in London with a membership in the thousands many of whom are "match going" fans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For many supporters, yesterday’s match epitomised the problems that have been building for several seasons now,” she told Press Association Sport. What we witnessed was the culmination of years of arrogance and stubbornness. The solution is blindingly obvious and it is painful to watch what is happening to our wonderful club. Criticism is never easy to accept but constructive criticism should not be confused with negativity.

Manchester City are an outstanding team. It is no disgrace to lose to them. What is a disgrace is the manner of the loss, the repetition of mistakes that we have seen countless times before and the post-match sound bites that are offered up as some sort of justification for losses.

Yesterday’s match wasn’t met with anger and a chorus of “Wenger Out” chants. Instead, there was a sense of inevitability. Few went to the match with high expectations. What we now have amongst Arsenal supporters is a huge dose of apathy. It’s as if the fight has gone because supporters know it’s futile.

Yesterday’s match must mark a turning point, for the sake of our football club, the board must grasp the nettle. It is clear that steps (which are acknowledged and welcomed) have already been taken to secure the future of the club but the hardest decision of all still sits with the club and that concerns the manager. Nobody is denying what he has achieved for the club but that cannot be used as a self-serving justification to prevent change. It simply cannot continue. It is not about winning silverware. The problems are so much more deep-rooted than that and are undermining the values on which our club has been built.

Excellent statement!

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

In fairness he said 'we need to', instead of something like 'we must continue to'.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He prioritised the league over domestic cups, so why should we not judge him by that metric?
Let's not scrape around for old quotes to judge him by, let's just judge him on his overall record which is outstanding up until this year.

Preacher

Always Crying
16/17 and 17/18 seasons results are sackable offence. I'm not even talking about losing the league to Leicester, when we were in the first place in February.

Wenger's apologists never stop to amaze me. They're master at shifting gears and clutching at straws. Good thing, that not many of that kind are left these days.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
In fairness he said 'we need to', instead of something like 'we must continue to'.

Oh well, that's a relief. Thanks a bunch, AG. A huuuuuuuuuuuge load off my mind that the arsehole who said he preferred horse racing to football on public TV whilst chairing the board of one of the largest football clubs in England said "we need" and not "we will continue".

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
16/17 and 17/18 seasons results are sackable offence. I'm not even talking about losing the league to Leicester, when we were in the first place in February.

Wenger aplogist never stop to amaze me. They're master at shifting gears and clutching at straws. Good thing, that not many of that kind are left these days.

Don't kid yourself. What you're seeing here is a paid club apologist, not a true Wenger fan. Those went the way of the Dodo.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Yeah, its too early to start saying Wenger out. Lets see how the new signings get on. Im not being sarcastic. I think there is potential to get a good run going, perhaps after this game with City.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom