• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Medhi Benatia

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Love the move.

Never expected Benatia & Lichtsteiner but both make perfect sense. Maybe Asamoah next to provide Monreal competition at LB? Contract up.

Cant wait to see what the transfer guys have planned for midfield.

macka66

Maybe we could offer Mustafi if we did get him, just make him wear a disguise and have him change he's name they wont have a clue.

HBL

Established Member
So we're becoming Juve's retirement home now?
Retirement home? Benatia was one of the best cb’s in the league last season, class defender. As long as the fee isn’t stupid I’d be all for this move. You don’t forget how to play football as soon as you turn 30.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We’d have to play with a deeper line and more organised shape with Benatia and Lichtsteiner in the back four. No split CB nonsense like we have now.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Class defender who single-handedly robbed his team of extra time against Real Madrid in the 90th minute.
Housekeeping first: ^ In reference to the nonsense above, there is no other option but to put whatever kind of challenge you can on the attacker in that situation. You either allow a clean shot on goal from 8 yards out or you attempt a challenge that at worst results in penalty 12 yards out instead. The decision is obvious to anyone with sense and Benatia did not rob his team of anything. :rolleyes:

Now onto the more important point. If we aren't going for a player in the De Ligt bracket then this is the next best option. He's a great defender who should still have 2-3 impressive years left before he declines, a perfect window for our youngsters to develop and be ready to take the reigns. He takes no prisoners physically but he's also extremely agile and capable as a passer and even dribbler when the need arises. Given how Emery likes to play out of the back at times I can definitely see why he'd want him. Benatia will take us up a level in terms of his on field performance as well as being able to mentor the younger defenders. We haven't had a proper physical defender since Sol left. I think everyone would fall in love with him within a couple of days if this happens.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Arguably Juve's best defender last season actually, but his injury record is not encouraging. I don't know, we need a long-term solution in defence, any short-term solutions better be damn good value for money.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We should target more younger CB this time i know we already got Chambers Holding and Marvs but we need to mix between experience and youth

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We should target more younger CB this time i know we already got Chambers Holding and Marvs but we need to mix between experience and youth

I would like us to go for Soyuncu but going for Benatia & Sokratis would be great. Those 2 + Mustafi (who we probably cant sell) Mavro & Chambers would give us the mix of exp & youth. Holding I feel will go on loan.

StefanB

Benatia is 31 and Sokratis is turning 30. That's the ideal age for defenders to be honest. Both are experienced and are some of the better defenders within the game.

I'd love this move if it actually happened. Think Sokratis and Benatia would compliment each other great aswell with Sokratis being the more aggressive one and Benatia being slightly deeper and more calm.

Also the age thing wouldn't hinder our talents like Chambers, Mavropanos and Holding because we'd be looking to get 2-3 seasons out of them.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Stop with this ''we need younger CB'' narrative.

I'm over the moon seeing we're targeting seasoned defenders. Just look at how Nacho is playing in his 30ies, you need experience and leadership at the back, we don't have time fvcking around with young, inexperienced defenders. We have enough of them already.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

If we sign the captain of Morocco I will move to London today. There's nothing I want more than a Moroccan player to succeed at Arsenal. There was Chamakh, but meh. Please!

Aevi

Hale End FC
I've been banging on about age and squad value, but I've gotta say, I'd much prefer a back line of Benatia-Sokratis to Soyuncu-Sokratis. That's a very strong back line. Depends on Benatia's fee though.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom