• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Nothing has changed, top 4 is still a bloody good achievement and gets you in the biggest team competition on the planet. When we achieved top 4 every season it got to a point when some were seeing it as a failure for not winning the PL, ok the Leicester season we should have but generally we were doing well getting top 4 and that needs to be our aim again, then we can think about going for the title. Maybe some only appreciate what they have after its been taken away, like cheating on Shakira & waking up next to Susan Boyle! :)

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Sorry Trax, pretty difficult to spot in that post of mine but I was being facestious and meant no harm.
I was 'infected' by my uncle but we missed my brother. Any tips to convert a lost soul who landed up being a Pool fan?
Think that’s a lost cause bro. :lol:

Vantastico

I figure Emery will play with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2.

Leno, Bellerin, Mustafi, Sokratis, Monreal in defense with Xhaka and Toreira as DM's, and any combination of Özil/Mhki/Ramsey playing behind Aubameyang/Lacazatte.

We need Leno to look for quick outlet passes to Xhaka every single time, like the Swiss keeper Sommer was doing against Serbia. This would set Xhaka up to link up with Özil quickly right down the middle of the lane, or link up with our wingers/full-backs to keep it wide.

(I'll admit: I just don't wanna see Mustafi on the ball).

I expect El Nenny and Maitland Niles to be our only other options as far as holding midfielders go, and I think that's fine. I dont know whether Iwobi and Welbeck are good enough but they're our only attacking options off the bench.

Given that Emery will need next season to assess squad performance, I think he'll wait till next summer to make any drastic changes.

That being said, I still am really hoping for an exciting attacking signing or a Reiss Nelson break-out. It really depends on whether or not Ramsey stays, which in turn either means he's guaranteed to be a starter and Reiss will serve as his back-up, or he'll needs to be replaced and we go for a new winger with potential.

Either way, given the massive wages our starting XI are earning, I can't see us make any signings added on top of our current squad (barring any funds from sales..looking at Welbeck, Chambers and Mustafi).

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
That being said, I still am really hoping for an exciting attacking signing or a Reiss Nelson break-out. .
Given that we have lobbed out 100M for PEA and Laca in the last 12 months I highly doubt you're going to see a signing. Took us like 7 years to replace RVP now you want another attacking signing in less than a year. Don't be greedy;)

Nyctophobia

Established Member
When it comes to expectations, what I would like to see during this season (or at least signs of) is two things: consistency and beating at least a few of the other top teams and then whatever position we land on in the end will be fine as long as it's top six.

I want to see an Arsenal team that doesn't make the same mistakes over and over, that can beat the teams we should be beating and compete with the best.

If nothing else I just want to see effort, if I see that we're really trying and we're not sticking with things that don't work, I think I'll be happy because over time we will only become better and better.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I just want a playing style and identity this year. Top 6 minimum and cups runs. I expect to compete in 19/20

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Top four imo.

I think we'll struggle against the top teams, but dispatch the rest easily.

If City run away with it, or someone gets 90+ points, we're going to be nowhere near the title.

If the title winners have around 80-85 points, we might challenge

Jae

I would LIKE top 4, but I think that is unrealistic. I EXPECT (as a bare minimum) to see improvement in the performances, particularly the defensive solidarity of the team.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
The more I think about it, and the amount of work required to settle us in, the more I suspect that this next season is probably a write off.

I say so for two reasons. Firstly, all our players need to adapt to Emery's style of play. Secondly, there's likely to be players who wont be able to adapt accordingly. Which would need us to rebuild and re-settle.

Fifth or sixth place for me this season, if it comes together in time... possibly fourth place.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I can see us finishing 4th. Liverpool have strengthened but they're so dependent on that front 3 putting up crazy numbers and that's hard to do year in year out. Spuds have been punching above their weight and may well take a step back. Chelsea have left it really late to sort out their managerial situation and have plenty of question marks. United have a lunatic capable of losing the dressing room at any moment leading them. I think that we have the best striker pairing in the PL and frankly we were so neglected in terms of drilling the basics in our players that I can absolutely see us doing enough to get back into the CL places.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Tangible goals:
-Top 5 (am expecting to surpass Chelsea this year, considering their situation) with a top 4 challenge & better away record than last season’s embarrassment
-SF+* in EL (given Emery’s track record in the competition)
-QF+* in FA Cup & League Cup

*depends on draw, but generally expecting to reach those targets

Intangible goals:
-Identity (development of a clear and defined style of play)
-Adjustments (tactical adjustments pregame & during the match, not making subs for the sake of it, being quick to realize what is working and what is not and not being afraid to make tough decisions)
-Character (no mental collapses and ****ting the bed, goes in hand in hand with the next point)
-Defensive stability and cohesion
-Consistency as the season progresses
-Continuing integration and development of our youth (looking forward to bigger roles for the likes of AMN and a step up from Iwobi)

Thought I was asking for too much, but on reflection, don’t think improvements in the aforementioned areas are unreasonable. If not possible by this season, definitive improvements is a must next season.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Were competing with chelsea and spuds for 4th, possibly utd if jose has a meltdown we will see. I have said before this is a huge rebuilding job and to think otherwise is naive imo

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
I think people are being too eager to relieve pressure off the new manager, as if they expect him to fail. Top four should be minimum expectation. Just as it was for Liverpool and even Tottenham to a lesser degree when they were out of it.
Now I'm not suggesting we fire him if we barely miss out on it, but presumably we replaced Wenger because he had massively underachieved result wise with this team, it's up to the new manager to get them to play to their potential and I think if he does we have more than enough to be aiming higher than just competing for top four personally.

If we were fine with languishing out of top four for years, we might as well have bet on Arteta afterall in case he became a top manager.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup
Top Bottom