• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Chelsea v Arsenal | August 18, 2018 17:30 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah think we would have been better off with a midfield of Guendouzi, Xhaka and Torreira.. I feel like we really needed a 3 man midfield here, especially away against a big team..

Yup or even Xhaka , Guendouzi ,Ramsey/Iwobi . Put Wele on Bellerin's wing to shore things up and give us something aerially .

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Totally agree. Noticed when Uruguay played with Luca they didn't have a lot of possession either . He's a destroyer who can pass but he really doesn't like to distribute and demand the ball .
One of those players who likes not having the ball because he's a boss at getting it back for us.. Very useful though. We'll keep hold of worthy pooints simply due to his style of play and 'shut-up shop' type option he provides.

TorontoGooner76

Any manager who will sub Özil off in the 68th minute has my confidence...lol. I think Emery is no-nonsense into that way which is refreshing to see. Özil was clearly pissed, so letsl hope it lights a fire under his backside. Does no good to concede the midfield if Özil will be that innefective.

Iwobi was immense for us until he ran out if if gas. Just what we need, someone who can hold possession while we try to get on the break. So glad he scored, it will do loads for his confidence.

Mustafi got turned around for the Morata goal. Think he could have played that one a bit better.

This certainly is a work of progress, no doubt about that. But at least it appears that Emery has a plan but I don't think the players are quite up to it physically yet.

We sure need a decisive win next time out.

pikey2000

I learned the following from this game;

Mhikitaryan is a liability defensively when played in the wide position, Bellerin was poor defensively but he contributed to that massively, if he isnt starting central he needs to be benched and get Welbeck out their to keep is more solid defensively.

Bellerin is terrible positionally and defensively in general and his offensive game is not good enough to outweigh the defensive frailties, especially in our defense. Lich is our starting premiership RB imo.

Xhaka's card is marked, he is on borrowed time with this manager, hauled off at half time, offered nothing in the 1st half offensively or defensively, literally a ghost of a CM in our team.

Iwobi did well, looks promising again, gassed late on though.

I'd have the following until we get some better players brought in;

----------------------Auba-----------------------

--Iwobi--------------Özil--------------Welbz--

-----------Geundouzi-----Torreira------------

Monreal----Sokratis----Mustafi--Lichsteiner

---------------------Cech-------------------------

On the shopping list;

CB - ours current crop are short term at best
CM - outside of the two above our options are good enough for the game we are trying to play
Wingers - desperately need two wingers who will put a shift in, they don't even need to be Hazard level, just players willing to run at the opposition who have pace but realise the wide positions have defensive responsibility.
Two full backs, Bellerin isnt the future for me and Monreal and Lich will need replacing end of this season.

Lot of work to do, top 4 looks like its going to be extremely difficult, Özil is the least of our issues at the moment which is saying something, a small positive though, the fact Emery is not shying away from getting underperforming players off the pitch, never saw that in the Wenger era - nobody is safe in this team.

m-due

Why, if I may ask. To me it shows a lack of class. Be angry we lost, for sure but don't disrespect the opposition.

I think both times, Pep and Sarri chose to celebrate with fans and coaches rather than heading straight to greet their counterparts.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Totally agree. Noticed when Uruguay played with Luca they didn't have a lot of possession either . He's a destroyer who can pass but he really doesn't like to distribute and demand the ball .

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised as the season progresses then. He's actually very good on the ball and with his distribution. Was converted from attacking midfield and while he makes lots of interceptions, is much more than just a destroyer.

This was a weird game. Hazard and Kovacic (I think one of the most underrated players in world football), once they came on, took control and we stopped the high press. Xhaka was lucky he was dealing with just Barkley in the first half and Iwobi/Mkhi still had legs.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Özil was quite and invisible today he deserved to be subbed.

Also xhaka being subbed because he was one tackle away to be sent off

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised as the season progresses then. He's actually very good on the ball and with his distribution. Was converted from attacking midfield and while he makes lots of interceptions, is much more than just a destroyer.

This was a weird game. Hazard and Kovacic (I think one of the most underrated players in world football), once they came on, took control and we stopped the high press. Xhaka was lucky he was dealing with just Barkley in the first half and Iwobi/Mkhi still had legs.

He's definitely decent on the ball but I reckon a midfield 3 with 2 sitters is ideal for us .

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Mkhi, Özil, Iwobi, Bellerin, Monreal, Xhaka, Guendozi, Auba (ok you too)....take a bow, for one of the best passages of play I have seen from Arsenal for a while. Well done.

Now can the midfield learn how to protect the defense, and the forwards learn how to put away chances. Thanks.

He's in the doghouse for me

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
on whether Mesut Özil can be a central part of his system…
We need him. He helps us with his quality and also I want to push him to be competitive in every match. I am happy with Mesut because he worked hard. I decided to change it because I think we needed a little more of a push in the middle, so that we couldn’t let Chelsea progress easily with the ball. We were defending too deep and we needed a push, so for that I brought on Aaron to push up more and recover the ball to continue attacking.

Not sure he had the right idea here? Not the Özil subbing part, but bringing on Ramsey to push us up the pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom