• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emery's Loan Targets With An Obligation to Buy But We Want An Option to Buy Hopefully: January 2019

What two players would you prefer we got with the loan/buy shenanigans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Agree with everything you said except this. If we hadn't signed Welbeck, we'd have been stuck with just Sanogo up front. For an injury replacement Welbeck has been good business at £16m.

Also if we’d moved him on we may have been able to make our money back. Another fee we’ll miss out on.

Reactions: A_G

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Since we seem to be in the midst of a financial discussion in this thread, here's a link to a blog about Arsenal's financial situation that was published this morning (I copied and pasted much of it in the Arsenal finances thread):

http://youaremyarsenal.com/arsenal-stan-kroenke-analysis-stats/

Tbf that is an interesting article, I still don’t like Kroenke but on reflection this does seem to be the fault of others.

In hindsight shovelling 550k in wages on Mkhitaryan and Özil when both are approaching 30 was very poor.

All the players running down their contracts and that transfer window of no activity a few years back has f*cked us completely.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The worst thing is that this issue started in 2011 with Clichy/Nasri then RVP in 2012, yet the club never learned.

Even Ox had one year to go as well right when we cashed in? I think something was off behind the scenes as well though.

Look at similar level clubs like Sp**s and Pool, seemingly inking 6 year extensions for their big players all the time.

Before Özil who held us over a barrel, who was the last star player we re-signed? Santi in 2015?

That is gross incompetence. It’s actually amazing.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Even Ox had one year to go as well right when we cashed in? I think something was off behind the scenes as well though.
Yep, he rejected a new deal a week before he actually left. Amazing that it was left that late, should've made a take it or leave it offer at the start of pre-season.
Before Özil who held us over a barrel, who was the last star player we re-signed? Santi in 2015?
Ramsey in March 2014, funnily enough. :lol:

Aevi

Hale End FC
All this talk of Banega, Denis Suarez and Carrasco, but 0 credible links to defenders.
Here's your signing mate...

skysports-mavropanos-konstantinos-arsenal_4198538.jpg

Leeroy1979

Since we seem to be in the midst of a financial discussion in this thread, here's a link to a blog about Arsenal's financial situation that was published this morning (I copied and pasted much of it in the Arsenal finances thread):

http://youaremyarsenal.com/arsenal-stan-kroenke-analysis-stats/
Really interesting read....just out of curiosity tho what are the sanctions for breaking these rules. Surely a first time offender would only get a fine? And with the reported mega bucks coming in the summer would the fine be a small price to pay (that is if it is only a fine)

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
The worst thing is that this issue started in 2011 with Clichy/Nasri then RVP in 2012, yet the club never learned.

That shows it was a big problem at Arsenal long before the mega inflation of transfer fees and running down your contract to either leave with only one year left on a smaller fee or out of a contract on a free.

It used to be a sort of loophole for clever clubs, looking at who's almost or soon out of contract and then coming in with low offers. Nowadays it's becoming more common among players because of the inflated fees so they can keep a door open for themselves. But before that became a trend most would actually extend contracts 2 or even 3 years before they expired, but never at Arsenal. This club has always been too laidback about extending leaving it to the last year of contracts.

Grossly imcompetent cocks like Gazidis, Grimandi and Law plus Wenger in the double role of manager/DoF was a horrible mix.

Leeroy1979

Looks like the title of this thread was a self fulfilling prophecy. Time for Sven to earn his money then. **** as the financial situation is I am sure that there are loan deals out there waiting to happen that can improve us in key areas (cb please) get to work mislintat

macka66

With us only being able to sign loan players this window, i can only see Suarez coming in. If true that the only reason for not being able to bring in anyone permanent due to FFP, then that is fair enough however if there is not a lot of investment in the team during the summer then there is going to be a big backlash from many supporters. A large chunk of wages are coming off the books during the summer and they should then look to getting in the right players and not offering them stupid wages.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
The knee jerk reaction is to say how on earth can’t we buy anyone?? 6th richest club in the world, supposedly paid off the stadium, swathes of tv money, what is the point of it all if actually our entire financial power rests on CL and without it we’re paralysed? Isn’t our huge expensive stadium supposed to make up for that? And why have we allowed our wage bill to increase to such a point when it’s not even like we’re full of world class players?? Our current players aren’t good enough, and yet we’re already paying them too much to get better ones?

But I’ll try to avoid that reaction. I’ll assume we’re conserving funds for the summer (although this 70m bullsh*t ain’t good) and that our wages are simply tight until we can offload a few more, plus we’ll have the new Adidas deal. Maybe we’ve just found ourselves at a bottleneck where we can’t spend 50m like last January. What we need is players to help us right now and if they’re just loans then so be it.

African Flair

It's a huge concern if a club such as Arsenal don't have the funds to sign at least one or 2 players at any moment in the season.

I really don't get it because even if we spend £40M we can get them back really easily if we win the EL or get the top 4.
Everywhere else in sports this is called a healthy investment but Kroenke think it's a problematic debt.

It's alarming if the club actually don't have any founds to spend.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Mkhi/Ramsey ---> Carrasco/D. Suarez

That'd be decent business I think. It's younger and offers us something we don't have in Carrasco.

Can't say I'd be that impressed either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom