• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,470,708

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
I firmly believe you build from the front nowadays. Something Klopp has done very well. 4 of his first 5 major buys were attacking players. Ending with 3 of his last 5 major buys being defensive (VVD, Fabinho and Alisson).

Great defensive players with great attacking players win you titles. If you have to choose one, get the great attacking players in first. The reason being, they will be able to steamroll the small teams. Great defenders on their own won't even win you matches. It is too much to ask them to keep clean sheets if they are under attack for 90 minutes.

Good example is the Dutch national team at the moment. Their 2 CB's are VVD and de Ligt. Monster defenders yet any decent team the Dutch play, they are run rugged. Showing a few good defenders on their own can't do much. If somehow we could back in time and replace some of their attackers with a prime RVP, Bergkamp and Robben, but same time we replaced VVD and Ligt with 2 average plonkers. I would guess that team would win more matches.

Good analogy.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Because it’s extremely myopic to attribute a poor defensive record solely on defenders.
You would be absolutely right if those mistakes came from poor team play. But they didn’t.

They came largely from stupid individual errors, like crazy tackles, giving the ball away needlessly, misjudgements and bad clearances. These stem from quality and temperament not tactics and team play.

I’m sticking with this, myopic or not, no matter how superior the other poster tries to be.:lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Good analogy.
That’s exactly what Wenger did for years,played attacking football with quality attackers with Djourou, Senderos, Santos, Squillaci etc behind them. With limited money, attack was mainly his priority. And he over achieved with it.

By 2015/16 the fan base was sick of it. The embarrassing drubbings, the continuous top 4 without trophies, the nearly team.

And now people want a return to that. Unbelievable.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You would be absolutely right if those mistakes came from poor team play. But they didn’t.

They came largely from stupid individual errors, like crazy tackles, giving the ball away needlessly, misjudgements and bad clearances. These stem from quality and temperament not tactics and team play.

I’m sticking with this, myopic or not, no matter how superior the other poster tries to be.:lol:

Don’t know how you’ve assumed I’m being superior?

The root cause for me was the lack of threat, take the away game vs Wolves. We were blitzed for the opening 30 minutes.

Midfield couldn’t create anything or even get on the ball, meaning Wolves completely overran us.

The squad was so lopsided it needed addressing. No winger in the squad who was good enough for arguably a top ten side and no one in midfield who could carry the ball forward.

We’ll still make defensive errors this year but hopefully with Ceballos we’ll control the midfield and with Pepe teams will press us less due to the giant threat in behind. All of which helps the defence.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
That’s exactly what Wenger did for years,played attacking football with quality attackers with Djourou, Senderos, Santos, Squillaci etc behind them. With limited money, attack was mainly his priority. And he over achieved with it.

By 2015/16 the fan base was sick of it. The embarrassing drubbings, the continuous top 4 without trophies, the nearly team.

And now people want a return to that. Unbelievable.

Nice way to single out all the back ups for the defensive positions. Gallas? Vermaelen? Koscielny? Mertesacker? Clichy? Sagna?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Don’t know how you’ve assumed I’m being superior?
Sorry bro, could have sworn you were insinuating I was being ‘extremely myopic’ in not realising that a poor defence was not just down to poor defenders. :lol:

It sounded superior but maybe I misjudged it.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Nice way to single out all the back ups for the defensive positions. Gallas? Vermaelen? Koscielny? Mertesacker? Clichy? Sagna?
A defence is made up at least 5 players. We’ve always had holes in most of them, even if you can list some good players.

Our best stats were in 2015/16 with Cech, Bellerin, Mertersaker, Kos and Nacho. Not really a hole there. A very sad year for long and tragic injuries in midfield to several players though.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
A defence is made up at least 5 players. We’ve always had holes in most of them, even if you can list some good players.

Our best stats were in 2015/16 with Cech, Bellerin, Mertersaker, Kos and Nacho. Not really a hole there. A very sad year for long and tragic injuries in midfield to several players though.

We all knew it would take emery at least 3 summers to fill all the gaps. Gaps being GK, CB, LB, DM, CM and winger.

In the first summer he filled GK and dogged, tackling midfielder pretty well, and a fairly decent stop gap CB.

Second summer he’s filled the winger slot, should be filling LB with Tierney and has filled the CB slot in the form of Saliba for next summer.

Next summer is the one. Saliba will be in and we can go all out for a midfielder and another CB if Holding hasn’t proved himself.

We’re 60% of the way there. I think 3 summers is a sufficient time to build a proper side worthy of challenging and so far so good.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

The attack was pretty on point 15/16... Giroud up top with 16 PL goals, Alexis hitting 13 from wide, Theo / Ox providing pace on the other side & Özil central racking up 19 assists. Opposition had it from all angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Everybody knows how much I love Arsenal - I became a fan. And to be out here [in front of the Emirates as a statue] celebrating a goal against Sp*rs, there's not much else to say after that. Like I've said before: Once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom