• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Who is someone like Allisson? Trraccy? SSharron?

Here's a (not necessarily full) list of the keepers we had since the glory days of Seaman:

Manninger
Wright
Warmuz
Almunia
Shabaan
Viviano
Lehmann
Fabianski
Szczesny
Mannone
Cech
Ospina
Macey
Martinez

How many of these were better than Leno? Lehmann, maybe Szczesny and Cech (but not after he joined us).

Love to see where all these upgrades are lurking, just wanting a call from north London to rush and join the queue of world-beating players trying to sign up for the Arsenal.

Fabianski is miles better than Leno.

It’s funny you guys keep telling me about these great players we have yet we’re 10th in the table, concede goals and barely win games.

Luiz was Tony Adams on here last week.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Fabianski is miles better than Leno.

It’s funny you guys keep telling me about these great players we have yet we’re 10th in the table, concede goals and barely win games.

Luiz was Tony Adams on here last week.
There's a difference between saying we have loads of good players and choosing to defend what few genuinely good ones we have. Leno isn't in the Luiz, Mustafi, Bellerin, Xhaka, Özil etc bracket, aka, the rubbish, mediocre and over the hill and overpaid mob.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Szczesny is definitely better than Leno for me, Bernd is still a good goalkeeper though, despite a few mistakes he has probably been our best player these last two seasons.

Also, it amazes me how many people just don't seem to like the FA Cup.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Allison, Ederson, Lloris, Schmichael are all better than Leno. He barely makes top 5 keepers in the league and you think hes top class.

Lloris? Really? Have you seen him play for the last 18 months. He is a mere shadow of the player he once was.

Schmeichel isn't better than him too. I would say Allison is the only keeper of the 5 you mentioned who is unquestionably better than Leno. Ederson probably is but he too has weaknesses and has had plenty of shaky moments. Hard to judge him cos City protect him so well because they hardly give any crosses/set pieces away or even allow many shots on target.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Who TF is saying Sczezny is better than Bernd?
:lol:

Sczezny played with prime Kos and BFG. Leno is left to clean up after the chuckle brothers we have at the back.

None of those goalkeepers that @14Henry mentioned are better than Leno. infact they'll all look worse at Arsenal. Schmeichel and Lloris better than Leno?

Have you watched Elderson this season. Do you know how many games he's cost city this season.
The less said about Lloris the better.

Schmeichel has never really been a top goalkeeper in the first place. Only Alisson Stands out currently. The opening goal of Westham against Liverpool on Monday night, I bet Leno would have saved that based on what I've seen this season.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Top 5 in the PL for me as of today are:
  1. Alisson
  2. Fabianski
  3. Henderson
  4. Guaita
  5. Ederson

I’d have Leno probably around 6th tbh which isn’t to say he’s bad but the others with the exception of Ederson have elite save % and xG against as well as passing the eye test.

It’s been a down year for Ederson in terms of save % compared to the last two but he gives you so much more in terms of playing with his feet and off his line it’s hard to leave him out.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Top 5 in the PL for me as of today are:
  1. Alisson
  2. Fabianski
  3. Henderson
  4. Guaita
  5. Ederson

I’d have Leno probably around 6th tbh which isn’t to say he’s bad but the others with the exception of Ederson have elite save % and xG against as well as passing the eye test.

It’s been a down year for Ederson in terms of save % compared to the last two but he gives you so much more in terms of playing with his feet and off his line it’s hard to leave him out.
My main criterion for rating GKs is the eye test. Stats really mean nothing. Anyone who have watched Leno this season would agree that he's been our best player overall this season.

Without his saves we'd been further down the table.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

My main criterion for rating GKs is the eye test. Stats really mean nothing. Anyone who have watched Leno this season would agree that he's been our best player overall this season.

Without his saves we'd been further down the table.

I mean there are several stats now beyond the eye test which are credible in analysing goalkeepers.

With the eye test most of those other guy look like elite goalkeepers. Guaita has been mad underrated and Henderson by and large has been incredible.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Also, it amazes me how many people just don't seem to like the FA Cup.

It is just the way modern football has gone. It started with the clubs first not caring about the FA Cup. As football has become much more like a business, the emphasis has shifted to profit/money making rather than glory. Unless the glory came with a massive cash price. The FA Cup has become increasingly less important because the financial rewards for winning it are minuscule. The people in charge of the clubs and managers hence started not to value the cup because it really became insignificant to the club (the business) whether you won it or went out in first round.

What has been sad to see is that slowly the fans started to adopt the same viewpoint. For a fan it should always been about the glory. Who cares what subsequent financial reward you get.

Many fans have rationalised not caring about the cups because longterm it is better to get top 4. It enables you to buy better players and compete, which in turn should give you better chance to compete in cups and for important titles. It is the same reason why a lot don't care about winning the EL, except winning that gives you an entrance to the CL. That actually sums up what has become important. Fans want to win the EL not cos it is a glorious European competition, in other words, not because for the glory itself but for the subsequent reward (CL qualification).

I personally would have loved to have won the EL because it is an European cup, something we don't have many of. I also still love the FA cup. For me the cups are still special. Unfortunately not many share those views. Top 4 has become everything.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
It's amazing how mustafi and Luiz has escaped criticism for that goal. It's not like they scored from the corner. We cleared the corner and the opponent played a hopeful ball into the box that our defenders failed to deal with. Even Xhaka is more culpable for that goal because it was a dangerous pass to play at that moment to the goalkeeper.

I don't blame Leno. I blame our defending.

Mustafi might have escaped criticism because.....he wasn't on the pitch at that time :D

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

I mean there are several stats now beyond the eye test which are credible in analysing goalkeepers.

With the eye test most of those other guy look like elite goalkeepers. Guaita has been mad underrated and Henderson by and large has been incredible.
I don't always rely on analytics because it can make a ****e keep look like Yashin Levin and can make a WC GK look like Vito Manone.

My point is that considering the defense in front of Leno, He's managed to be our best player.

Anybody saying we should upgrade Leno must be having a laugh. I'm sure Chelsea would readily swap Kepa for Leno, but Chelsea have looked more stable than us for most of the season.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don't always rely on analytics because it can make a ****e keep look like Yashin Levin and can make a WC GK look like Vito Manone.

My point is that considering the defense in front of Leno, He's managed to be our best player.

Anybody saying we should upgrade Leno must be having a laugh. I'm sure Chelsea would readily swap Kepa for Leno, but Chelsea have looked more stable than us for most of the season.

Obviously there’s more to it than just reading stats off a page, I think Leno’s a very good keeper but there have been some even better ones this year.

Agree though, Goalkeeper is probably our lowest priority in the transfer market. Normally a very safe pair of hands.

Pepes blue pill

It is just the way modern football has gone. It started with the clubs first not caring about the FA Cup. As football has become much more like a business, the emphasis has shifted to profit/money making rather than glory. Unless the glory came with a massive cash price. The FA Cup has become increasingly less important because the financial rewards for winning it are minuscule. The people in charge of the clubs and managers hence started not to value the cup because it really became insignificant to the club (the business) whether you won it or went out in first round.

What has been sad to see is that slowly the fans started to adopt the same viewpoint. For a fan it should always been about the glory. Who cares what subsequent financial reward you get.

Many fans have rationalised not caring about the cups because longterm it is better to get top 4. It enables you to buy better players and compete, which in turn should give you better chance to compete in cups and for important titles. It is the same reason why a lot don't care about winning the EL, except winning that gives you an entrance to the CL. That actually sums up what has become important. Fans want to win the EL not cos it is a glorious European competition, in other words, not because for the glory itself but for the subsequent reward (CL qualification).

I personally would have loved to have won the EL because it is an European cup, something we don't have many of. I also still love the FA cup. For me the cups are still special. Unfortunately not many share those views. Top 4 has become everything.

Agree with almost all of this but you cant tell me winning the el wouldn't mean nothing to the fans of some of the clubs that are in it, it's only the arrogance of some fans of bigger clubs that means they dont give a **** about it....the stadium last night suggested arsenal fans cared as well which is how it should be

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
Yes because the best teams in the world aim to win the Fa Cup or the Copa del Rey.

The FA cup is just a bonus. It's way down the priority list.

League
Champions League/Europa league
Top 4
FA cup

Nobody's going to talk about the great Arsenal side that won just an FA cup.

Wigan won an FA cup look where they are.

If I'm not mistaken less than a handful of teams outside the big 6 have won the fa cup in the last 30 years

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Agree with almost all of this but you cant tell me winning the el wouldn't mean nothing to the fans of some of the clubs that are in it, it's only the arrogance of some fans of bigger clubs that means they dont give a **** about it....the stadium last night suggested arsenal fans cared as well which is how it should be

I didn't make it clear in that post but I was talking mainly about fans from clubs having the possibility to get top 4 or the equivalent CL entering position in their league. You only have to ask a supporter of a club in or around top 4 which is also in a cup competition, almost all would suggest their club priorities top 4 and rest some players in the cup games.

With the EL as I have mentioned before it carries more importance only because of the CL qualification. If the FA Cup came with a CL qualification I can guarantee you suddenly fans would love to win it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom