• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: Summer 2020

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,442
  • Views 659,769
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamin86

Established Member
I think a wage cap would be a disaster in the football system as is.

If you tell every team they can spend up to say 20M a year on wages in the end the future Maddisons and Grealishes might end up staying at their own clubs or going to smaller clubs who are able to afford their giant wages.

If a team gets relegated and and they’re spending up against that 20M cap with the huge disparity in money between the divisions you’ll see clubs going bankrupt almost immediately.

Also the other side to salary caps in America is that it allows billionaire owners to underpay players due to cap restrictions and also there’s the constant threat of work stoppages and union strikes. Would be a nightmare here.
Yes that would be the idea...to stop big clubs from amassing talents? So Grealish and Maddison would be at smaller clubs but the league would be more competitive?

You can be under the cap if you would like to be? I'd like to see the huge disparity between championship and prem gone too, to be honest.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yes that would be the idea...to stop big clubs from amassing talents? So Grealish and Maddison would be at smaller clubs but the league would be more competitive?

You can be under the cap if you would like to be? I'd like to see the huge disparity between championship and prem gone too, to be honest.

You’re never going to close that gap between the leagues. The PL is a global product with something like 200 million people worldwide are paying in some form to watch the PL.

There’s not that desire for the Championship and below and there never will be. If you have a salary cap model you need a closed league with guaranteed revenue streams for the next few years.

benjamin86

Established Member
You’re never going to close that gap between the leagues. The PL is a global product with something like 200 million people worldwide are paying in some form to watch the PL.

There’s not that desire for the Championship and below and there never will be. If you have a salary cap model you need a closed league with guaranteed revenue streams for the next few years.
Man can dream! I just find it very frustrating that we can have 2 teams in the same division and the budget of 1 is 10 times higher than the other. I think i might prefer watching championship football as it's generally more competitive as there's less wealth dissaparity.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Grealish isn't going there. Sancho Greenwood James Martial are enough for there winger position even if they do spend it won't be expensive signing it'll be depth signing.
Grealish by trade is a centre midfielder.

I suspect if they sign him McTominay will become a central defender.

And then it depends on the opposition. Playing Aston villa at home go with a midfield trio of Grealish Pogba and Bruno. Playing Man City drop a forward move Grealish to Lw and bring in a more defensive minded midfielder.

Uniteds big problem like our own has been like our own breaking down teams that sit deep. I'd sacrifice a bit defensively to allow that 60 odd percent possession be converted into chances. Signing Grealish makes sense. As it does for us for exactly the same reasons.

Last edited:

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Almost certain we won't sign both Sancho and Grealish. It's one of the two with Sancho being the priority.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Almost certain we won't sign both Sancho and Grealish. It's one of the two with Sancho being the priority.

Sancho and a CB probably, right? Although I think you guys should have replaced Matic with a new DM also. What about Luke Shaw, do Utd fans think he could be upgraded on or is he still the long-term LB?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Grealish by trade is a centre midfielder.

I suspect if they sign him McTominay will become a central defender.

And then it depends on the opposition. Playing Aston villa at home go with a midfield trio of Grealish Pogba and Bruno. Playing Man City drop a forward move Grealish to Lw and bring in a more defensive minded midfielder.

Uniteds big problem like our own has been like our own breaking down teams that sit deep. I'd sacrifice a bit defensively to allow that 60 odd percent possession be converted into chances. Signing Grealish makes sense. As it does for us for exactly the same reasons.
They have matic who back on form pogba who is staying plus McTominay it'll be waste also Grealish play as CM he more affective as number 10

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Sancho and a CB probably, right? Although I think you guys should have replaced Matic with a new DM also. What about Luke Shaw, do Utd fans think he could be upgraded on or is he still the long-term LB?

Agree with you on all points. It's just Sancho is the priority and will take most of the budget and I think we can technically count Bruno as part of the Summer budget too. I think a young CB will join and maybe one more lesser profile signing.

Don't see us splashing anymore than that for a DM like Rice or a first team LB this window. Will probably hang on to Matic and keep Shaw and Williams at LB for another season at least unless there's a disaster by January.

I think most of our fans like Shaw a lot but question his ability to stay fit, he has one of those Rooney body types who needs a run of games to get sharp but he can be a pretty solid player. May be seen as bias but I'd prefer him over Chilwell but not quite sold yet if he's the long term answer which is a bit worrying considering we've had him for 6 years now. He's just turned 25 so it's really now or never for him. I think he's been a 7/10 in the last 2 seasons.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He hasn’t even kicked a ball for Barca and they could already sell him for a profit :lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You can say it's great offensively you right but offer nothing stability and defensively
Retaining the ball is defensive in itself. One of Wengers key beliefs.

If United want to get back to their past glory they need to make teams fear coming to Old Trafford. That midfield will make most teams nervous Pogba as a deep play maker and Grealish and Bruno ahead of him.

United like us need to learn to beat the small teams. Turning 60% possession into chances and goals. That midfield gives you a better chance to do that. It's why I desperately want Grealish. Him in our midfield instantly improves our ability to create chances. And his versatility allows us to adopt like we have when we face rivals.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Everton Cebolinha moving to Benfica. I swear this guy will make a huge move to a bigger club in a season or two.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Also it seem Dortmund won't mind sell late in window. They want alot of money upfront

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom