• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moleque

Look at the quote I was replying to... he was saying we shouldn't have to worry about the total amount paid for Saliba, because it's structured to be paid out over a number of years. I just pointed out what a stupid way of thinking that is - it's like the car dealer trying to get you to focus on the maximum monthly payment you can afford rather than the sticker price of the car.

Pepesuave

Relax people. Leceister signed Soyuncu 2 summers ago when he was a young highly regarded CB that played week in/week out in the Bundesliga. Yet he sat on the bench for basically an entire season to learn before getting his chance. Saliba will be fine...he either goes out on loan or stays to play the odd cup game this season

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Relax people. Leceister signed Soyuncu 2 summers ago when he was a young highly regarded CB that played week in/week out in the Bundesliga. Yet he sat on the bench for basically an entire season to learn before getting his chance. Saliba will be fine...he either goes out on loan or stays to play the odd cup game this season

Yeah he stayed with his team, learned the language, adopted and worked on BR philosophy and lived in the country he was going to be working in.

He didnt go on loan to Besiktas, or a german club, where he had little exposure to the language he would need when he returned, where he would have to learn BR tactics again when he came back and where he would have to get accustomed to the culture etc.

Your comparisons are the very reason he needs to stay in England. Not going back to his comfort zone.

Iceman10

Established Member

What plays out for the player individually is one thing, and I have confidence it will work out for him at Arsenal, but note that every season we are out of the CL we lose at least 40m in revenues, and then think about how the 30m last summer could have been used on a good buy such as Gabriel. The numbers don’t work to justify this signing if he’s going out on loan again, even if he ends up as a 70-100m worth player down the line. All is fine, but in the balance last summer’s transfer window was one of money not spent well, except for Tierney.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah he stayed with his team, learned the language, adopted and worked on BR philosophy and lived in the country he was going to be working in.

He didnt go on loan to Besiktas, or a german club, where he had little exposure to the language he would need when he returned, where he would have to learn BR tactics again when he came back and where he would have to get accustomed to the culture etc.

Your comparisons are the very reason he needs to stay in England. Not going back to his comfort zone.
This. He needs to stay here, make friends and throw himself into his work. It's the best therapy.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Rennes is also a bit out the way as well unless he has a group of family / friends there. Think that loan would be footballing reasons.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Why are you jumping the gun so quickly, I remember you were ferouciously defending Tierney last year when he had a very hard start to his Arsenal career????
Are you trying to compare a player we signed injured who had no issues once playing and a guy we signed loaned out to get experience, brought back and now thinking we need to loan out again?

Since you are I knew Tierney was good enough. His performances in the cups and Europa league showed what we were getting. Saliba hasn't made an appearance yet and to my knowledge he is physically fit and healthy.

That he hasn't tells me he isnt good enough to be where we want him to be or he is nowhere near ready. Both are a huge worry given the investment made, the fact we loaned him straight back out again and look likely to be doing the same again. We cannot afford to keep getting signings wrong. Maybe a loan is best so he can mature away from us and not have his career derailed like holding and Chambers who were both thrown in at the deep end. But that's a lot of pissing around by us on one player when we need here and now signings.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Why not loan him out to an English club instead? He'll be playing in England for the foreseeable future. Personally, I would keep him for the cup games and group stages in Europa and then loan him out in January. But now? Come on Mikel, sort it out.

akhil

This guy's gone from being the CB savior to Mavropanos MK2. Why are we loaning him out again??? There's plenty of games.

Why does last summer look like an even bigger **** show than expected?!
This dude and Pepe were our marquee buys.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

This guy's gone from being the CB savior to Mavropanos MK2. Why are we loaning him out again??? There's plenty of games.

Why does last summer look like an even bigger **** show than expected?!
This dude and Pepe were our marquee buys.

It was this fanbase that painted him as a saviour and they were wrong to do so. He's simply not ready. That's all there is to it.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

giphy.gif

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Keep him. Let him get used to the club, the city and his teammates and make sure he learns the langauge. We got an easy EL-draw, play him there and give him some U23 games too and let him spend some time in France when he needs to while dealing with losing him mum( apparently) which is incredibly hard for such a young man.

StefanB

Saliba is an outstanding prospect. But, with some personal issues and the way the fanbase has a tendancy to "villainize" certain players who don't perform from day one the club seems to be looking after William rather than throwing him in the deep end.

This is a player who was given the number 4 (indicating that he's more than just a regular youngster) and people were calling him the new van Dijk.

Truth is that he's a 19 year old boy who's in a new country, who's apparantly just lost his mother and is adjusting to both a new culture while trying to become a better player.

William Saliba is destined to become a starter for us in the future, but he's seen as a long-term solution. Therefor the club is taking steps to ensure his career is handled right.

Which is fine by me. Even though of course I would like to see him play, but then again if he's not ready then he's not ready. Yet.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Saw on Twitter someone saying his mother died 5 months ago, pretty heavy stuff for a 19 year old moving countries and trying to start off in the toughest league in the world at a team with high expectations. Would make sense if the club is taking its time with him.
I'd say the opposite. New city, new friends, a new challenge, and a support system he can depend on for years to come is just what the doctor ordered, in my experience - and I have had plenty. Shuffling him off to another club because he's not good enough is not exactly the support he needs, nor is it a boost for his confidence.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Holding deserves to play, with david luiz, the Spanish dude that is injured and Gabriel i don't see the necessity of him staying at the club.

Holding - Gabriel - David Luiz - Spanish dude and Chambers is more than enough.

We are playing overlapping CBs with Tierney/Kola and AML.

He is 19, if he was ready we would have been playing, he is clearly not ready.

Believe in Holding.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I prefer if we sell all the deadwood we have and give him chance to play the cups, EL and rotating in league increasingly. I don't think we paid 30M for a player who is worse than Mari or Chambers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you love football, you love Tomáš Rosický

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom