• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moah

Teams are setting up to defend against Aubemeyang, Walker pretty much sat on Auba today while their midfielders were constantly helping and their new centreback constantly helped cover that side. Bit of a fkin difference to have a defence setup to mark you and not scoring.
Well our entire system going forward relies on the left wing. Look at the players starting on the left, Tierney, a starting left-back playing CB, Saka, an actual winger playing wing back and our best player Auba, playing on the left winger role. If City managed to get hold of Auba their was always Saka ready to pounce.

When you come to the right, Gabriel is the one playing on the RCB position, Bellerin's a right-back playing wing back and then there is Pepe. Maybe this will help you see the difference.

Pepe hasn't been great and I'll say it again he is not a 72M player. But the notion that he is useless, and some poor footballer is the point I strongly disagree on. He may never settle and we may end up selling him in the future, but it will not be because of his quality as a player.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
At Anfield he was on the bench? Last season was a complete mess for a multitude of reasons so let's not go there with those games. Focus on recent games with Arteta. He will start kicking on now and one poor game against the best team in the league wouldn't change that. Hence why its a pass.

The beautiful game is about opinions.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Like I said he was never the same after getting his butt kicked by Neville. He lost his balls and his will to take on opponents after that.
yeah, true but then you said he regressed under Wenger like Wenger had anything to do with it. Reyes got bloody tapped up by Madrid, and then they discarded him. Wenger gave so many interviews about it.

Also, he was never at Özil's level except for the time he was at Arsenal. He left AFC as a star and basically fell off the radar.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Pepe hasn't been great and I'll say it again he is not a 72M player. But the notion that he is useless, and some poor footballer is the point I strongly disagree on. He may never settle and we may end up selling him in the future, but it will not be because of his quality as a player.

It is because of his quality as a player though, he needs to be held accountable not blame everyone else for his pointless performances.

Moah

It is because of his quality as a player though, he needs to be held accountable not blame everyone else for his pointless performances.
I'm not saying he's blameless, their are some aspects of his game that he should improve. But, I think those arise from more how we play and his need to adjust to them.

I'm just willing to wait and see what he can do once our attacking play begins to function properly. Their are too many factors now that are affecting our attacking players' performance.

BigPoppaPump

I'm not saying he's blameless, their are some aspects of his game that he should improve. But, I think those arise from more how we play and his need to adjust to them.

I'm just willing to wait and see what he can do once our attacking play begins to function properly. Their are too many factors now that are affecting our attacking players' performance.

The biggest factor is none of them can create chances for themselves so they have to rely on midfielders and FBs who ain't gonna do sh*t. Bellerin and Xhaka aren't gonna start playing like Alexander-Arnold or KDB so Auba and Pepe need to start making it happen for themselves. For the price we paid for them you'd expect that, I mean Alexis could do it.

Moah

The biggest factor is none of them can create chances for themselves so they have to rely on midfielders and FBs who ain't gonna do sh*t. Bellerin and Xhaka aren't gonna start playing like Alexander-Arnold or KDB so Auba and Pepe need to start making it happen for themselves. For the price we paid for them you'd expect that, I mean Alexis could do it.
I agree with what you said. They should be trying to create chances for themselves.

You have a very high expectation from our players and you don't many of them. For the standards you set you fairly judge them all with that. But I can't stand people who come here and complain about him and then go on to defend our other poor players.

BigPoppaPump

I agree with what you said. They should be trying to create chances for themselves.

You have a very high expectation from our players and you don't many of them. For the standards you set you fairly judge them all with that. But I can't stand people who come here and complain about him and then go on to defend our other poor players.

I don't really have high expectations tbh, I know most of our team isn't good. I just don't cut them any slack or try to find a reason for their bad performances.

Lots of people are really phony when it comes to talking about players you're right, they pick favourites and villain's and judge it off that. Wish people would just stop being bias or overly optimistic.

Moah

I don't really have high expectations tbh, I know most of our team isn't good. I just don't cut them any slack or try to find a reason for their bad performances.

Lots of people are really phony when it comes to talking about players you're right, they pick favourites and villain's and judge it off that. Wish people would just stop being bias or overly optimistic.
My optimism regarding Pepe comes from me wanting him to be a success here. He's the one player here who I've a soft spot for, but I agree with your assessment that most aren't good enough for us to challenge for bigger things.

The only other trophy that this squad can get is the Europa League, I'm not expecting much else.

BigPoppaPump

My optimism regarding Pepe comes from me wanting him to be a success here. He's the one player here who I've a soft spot for, but I agree with your assessment that most aren't good enough for us to challenge for bigger things.

The only other trophy that this squad can get is the Europa League, I'm not expecting much else.

I think we all want him to be a success, but that doesn't mean I won't criticise him or be happy at every performance. This is why we always end up so stressed as a fanbase, we overhype our players who always let us down then blame it on Wenger or Gazidis or Kroenke because Koscielny decided to give away a penalty or gets a red card or kicks the ball right at striker who scores.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
The guy has been crap & it’s been apparent since last season. Some people just don't wanna admit it for some reason or another. I loathed Iwobi as a player & even he offered more tbh
& stop with this sauce nonsense already

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Well our entire system going forward relies on the left wing. Look at the players starting on the left, Tierney, a starting left-back playing CB, Saka, an actual winger playing wing back and our best player Auba, playing on the left winger role. If City managed to get hold of Auba their was always Saka ready to pounce.

When you come to the right, Gabriel is the one playing on the RCB position, Bellerin's a right-back playing wing back and then there is Pepe. Maybe this will help you see the difference.

Yes yes, its because we setup to play a style that doesnt suit him, ignore what he does on the ball the system is the problem *yawn

Let's play Aubamawang

His price is hugely questionable when you think about it, like dodgy questionable. Not his fault obviously, but that price adds extra pressure and expectation on him.
Spot on. Look at the expectations we have of Partey. Could he have changed the result against City? We may never know but I think Arteta made the right call bringing him in slowly. Just maybe use subs a little earlier.

Pepe was clearly not the player Emery wanted, and he may never have the same impact as Zaha. Having a similar price tag has left us expecting him to torture defences every game. He has some moments, but the biggest issue seems to be getting him the ball. Our left side seems fine, but attacks on the right seem disjointed. Bellerin got a couple of assists the other week, but perhaps he is part of the problem. If he gives the ball away or retreats from faster wingers, it leaves Pepe very isolated. Tierney and Saka love taking people on, but Bellerin seems to have lost some of his old combativeness.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
What a mature argument, can't argue with that.

Well when all you offer is excuses for why he isnt delivering but deinfitely will some vague time in the future I dont know what you expect. I'm making a clear consistent point that hes been terrible 99% of the time and all the excuses about systems, players around him, Mars isn't in the right position to Neptune or whatever doesnt change that. If hes consistently rubbish 99% of the time it points to one thing... that he is rubbish.

Every Pepe fan here seems to be convinced hes like a coin toss that keeps showing heads and sooner or later he will start showing nothing but tails because with his "talent" it has to happen. I just cant work out why.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Spot on. Look at the expectations we have of Partey. Could he have changed the result against City? We may never know but I think Arteta made the right call bringing him in slowly. Just maybe use subs a little earlier.

Pepe was clearly not the player Emery wanted, and he may never have the same impact as Zaha. Having a similar price tag has left us expecting him to torture defences every game. He has some moments, but the biggest issue seems to be getting him the ball. Our left side seems fine, but attacks on the right seem disjointed. Bellerin got a couple of assists the other week, but perhaps he is part of the problem. If he gives the ball away or retreats from faster wingers, it leaves Pepe very isolated. Tierney and Saka love taking people on, but Bellerin seems to have lost some of his old combativeness.

Rofl its Bellerins fault, love this. It doesnt matter who he is paired with on that side or how well they perform he consistently loses the ball. He gets the ball he loses it we lose possession and they can counter or keep the ball in our half. Its not whats happening with getting him the ball its what he does with it... and hes not fkin doing much.

Let's play Aubamawang

Rofl its Bellerins fault, love this. It doesnt matter who he is paired with on that side or how well they perform he consistently loses the ball. He gets the ball he loses it we lose possession and they can counter or keep the ball in our half. Its not whats happening with getting him the ball its what he does with it... and hes not fkin doing much.
I never said it was entirely down to Bellerin, but if he's not seeing the ball then there has to be more problems on the right side than just Pepe. Try reading my post next time.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I never said it was entirely down to Bellerin, but if he's not seeing the ball then there has to be more problems on the right side than just Pepe. Try reading my post next time.

But he did get the fkin ball and he did nothing with it, read my post why dont you.

You literally said " Bellerin ... but perhaps he is part of the problem". You cant be part of the problem and not be the problem. Im reading here that not only do we need to get an amazing fullback for Pepe, pepe also needs more ... its fkin ridiculous that a winger playing for Arsenal needs so many excuses for over a year and no end is in sight.

Moah

Well when all you offer is excuses for why he isnt delivering but deinfitely will some vague time in the future I dont know what you expect. I'm making a clear consistent point that hes been terrible 99% of the time and all the excuses about systems, players around him, Mars isn't in the right position to Neptune or whatever doesnt change that. If hes consistently rubbish 99% of the time it points to one thing... that he is rubbish.

Every Pepe fan here seems to be convinced hes like a coin toss that keeps showing heads and sooner or later he will start showing nothing but tails because with his "talent" it has to happen. I just cant work out why.
If you think he's 99% rubbish and you have told us that he's a terible footballer, what's the need for you to come here and moan about him every other day? I'm sure there are players in our team that you like, you can go on thir thread and enjoy yourself.

There is no need for you to come here and surround yourself with negativity. Your mind is set so there is no argument for you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom