• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Magalhães: Not Our Only Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
No, you can't see it as long as the senior players are worse than both of them.
When you say "you can see why", it would suggest that kids are not to be trusted and we have better players instead of them, but all of our senior CB's have been rubbish for years.

Luiz and Mari should both be released, Holding should be our 4th choice and we bring Saliba back and probably look to sign someone.
If we can't sign a good player, let's start with Saliba and Gabriel, at least there is a chance that they can grow together and Holding/Chambers should be our backup

Every player that we brought in to fix our short term problems (Luiz, Mari, Sokratis, Cedric) created more problems for us so I honestly can't understand what exactly do you want.

I can't take Arteta seriously anymore, a joke of a manager. Any manager who sends Saliba on loan to play Luiz or Mari doesnt have long term interest with Arsenal, it's just scraping for results and making some serious long term damage to our club

Even if the senior players are worse than both of them individually central defence is about a partnership. It would have been bordering on suicidal to have a starting partnership with a combined age of 40, settling in a new Country, zero Premiership appearances and only 90 senior appearances between them, I don't think it would have done either of their development any favours. I also don't think it is any coincidence that Gabriel's best performances have mostly come alongside Luiz.

I don't rate Luiz or Mari particularly but there is absolutely zero evidence that Saliba is any better. None of us have seen him play, he may be brilliant, he may be trash.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Even if the senior players are worse than both of them individually central defence is about a partnership. It would have been bordering on suicidal to have a starting partnership with a combined age of 40, settling in a new Country, zero Premiership appearances and only 90 senior appearances between them, I don't think it would have done either of their development any favours. I also don't think it is any coincidence that Gabriel's best performances have mostly come alongside Luiz.

I don't rate Luiz or Mari particularly but there is absolutely zero evidence that Saliba is any better. None of us have seen him play, he may be brilliant, he may be trash.
The stuff I've seen from Luiz, Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding, Kolasinac over the last few years was unreal, the amount of stupidity and critical mistakes leading to goals with their direct fault was too much. Just don't waste time explaining that someone like Saliba or Gabriel would do worse.

You are saying that Saliba could be better but could also be trash makes absolutely no sense to me. Does that mean that you are happy to see more of the proven trash players that we've been playing instead of going for a talented youngster? I don't know if Saliba and Gabriel could take us to another level within 2-3 seasons, but I do know that Luiz and Mari can't do better than 10th place.

Didn't we learn anything from Saka? like talent is definitely more important than experience

GDeep™

League is very weak
Good start to the season, bad end to the season as he’s looked shaky. Potential is there, but you’ll say the jury is out if you are talking about him being a top CB.

TornadoTed

Established Member
The stuff I've seen from Luiz, Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding, Kolasinac over the last few years was unreal, the amount of stupidity and critical mistakes leading to goals with their direct fault was too much. Just don't waste time explaining that someone like Saliba or Gabriel would do worse.

You are saying that Saliba could be better but could also be trash makes absolutely no sense to me. Does that mean that you are happy to see more of the proven trash players that we've been playing instead of going for a talented youngster? I don't know if Saliba and Gabriel could take us to another level within 2-3 seasons, but I do know that Luiz and Mari can't do better than 10th place.

Didn't we learn anything from Saka? like talent is definitely more important than experience

I would rather see the likes of Luiz who isn't as bad as you make out than throw Saliba in before he is ready and see his career ruined before it's even started.

Seriously when has a club ever had a central defensive partnership with a combined age of 40 at any level, never mind at the top level?

Of course I want better and hope that Saliba and Gabriel are the answer to our long standing defensive woes. I think we may well be on to something so I just want them handled with care I just think they need to be phased in slowly without too much pressure and expectation put on their young shoulders.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He's done great for a first season. Looking forward to him cementing his place in the side under whoever next season.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
So Saliba has been on loan as of January and made 17 starts compared to Gabriel's 18 in the league. Saliba needed a 'transition' year. Wtf is Gabriel doing then?
Gabriel is 3 1/2 years older... Saliba is a kid who is a toddler in CB years.

I would rather see the likes of Luiz who isn't as bad as you make out than throw Saliba in before he is ready and see his career ruined before it's even started.

Seriously when has a club ever had a central defensive partnership with a combined age of 40 at any level, never mind at the top level?

Of course I want better and hope that Saliba and Gabriel are the answer to our long standing defensive woes. I think we may well be on to something so I just want them handled with care I just think they need to be phased in slowly without too much pressure and expectation put on their young shoulders.

Hit the nail on the head. People need to be more realistic about what Saliba can / will offer us at his extremely young age. CB is not a position that develops early. Ask Juve fans...think about what their expectations were for de Ligt when signed compared to the reality.

akhil

Gabriel is 3 1/2 years older... Saliba is a kid who is a toddler in CB years.

Hit the nail on the head. People need to be more realistic about what Saliba can / will offer us at his extremely young age. CB is not a position that develops early. Ask Juve fans...think about what their expectations were for de Ligt when signed compared to the reality.

In terms of playing time, Gabriel played 12 more games than Saliba in Ligue 1 when we signed him. That's only cause Saliba had a couple of injuries after we signed him the previous summer. When we bought Saliba, he technically had more playing time than him in Ligue 1.

What does the age gap have anything to do with it? Gabriel might be a little more mature as an adult. In term of football, isn't the actual minutes important. By the same logic, Arteta's a toddler in terms of managerial years with lesser relative experience than either of these 2 CBs. Shouldn't he be having an transitional decade in Doncaster or Almeria or somewhere else to actually learn his trade.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just because Saliba is young doesn’t mean isn’t better than our current options. Luiz has probably been one of our better CB’s this season. David Luiz.

You also can’t expect him to develop without playing, his absence from the EL group stages remain a rookie mistake.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Gabriel looked the part early in the season, even scoring a couple of towering headers. I've no idea what went wrong, perhaps not playing him enough has something to do with it. In a first season the best way to let a player settle and build confidence is to keep playing him, dropping him does the opposite. I guess we cant expect a rookie manager to know that, especially when he came from a club where they rotate on a weekly basis.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think Mustafi started 7 games, before we binned him in January...so there is 7 games straight away that we wasted by not starting Saliba.

Not playing him at all, is such a **** up this season...going into this season, we already knew he was good enough for the French league, but was unproven here...one year later, we still don't know any different...we already knew Mustafi was ****, years before this season.

If we played him a bit...yes, maybe he might have still needed a loan somewhere...or maybe he might have been good enough straight away, like his mate from Leicester.

Such a waste of year for him, all our own fault too really.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think Mustafi started 7 games, before we binned him in January...so there is 7 games straight away that we wasted by not starting Saliba.

Not playing him at all, is such a **** up this season...going into this season, we already knew he was good enough for the French league, but was unproven here...one year later, we still don't know any different...we already knew Mustafi was ****, years before this season.

If we played him a bit...yes, maybe he might have still needed a loan somewhere...or maybe he might have been good enough straight away, like his mate from Leicester.

Such a waste of year for him, all our own fault too really.

Damn had to check twice that this was you.

What happened bro? We won on the weekend.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Damn had to check twice that this was you.

What happened bro? We won on the weekend.

Saliba's lack of games, especially in the Europa/cups, always annoyed me.

As I said, felt like we could have been in a much better place with him than we are now.

I would like to see Mavro brought back too, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom