• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Southampton vs Arsenal | December 16, 2018 13:30 GMT | Sky Sports

Match prediction

• Southampton win

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Arsenal win

Votes: 31 70.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Despite our horrendous record there this is a different Arsenal now. Southampton have been awful this season and our defence is down to the bare bones and we haven't looked that great since the Sp**s game (ok so maybe we aren't a different Arsenal now) I still fancy us to get the win and keep the unbeaten run going for another game.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
No

No

Yes

While I think your answers are correct, the guy somewhat has a point though...

While it may not have been overplaying, there have been numerous reports about outdated training regimen and methods under Wenger, so it was kind of overtraining.

And while the squads weren't too small per se, there wasn't enough quality in there overall. Too much faith in the ability and health of your first say 11 to 13 players, and then a load of rubbish for too much money. Around 2010 to 2013 I'd have rather stacked up on serious quality, like getting Mata instead of Gervinho and Chamberlain or not wasting 6m on park and another 1m on Jekinson, but get a serious Clichy replacement for around 15m.

HBL

Established Member
Saka, Nketiah and Medley all travelled with the squad apparently.

We must have a decent sized squad unless there are a couple of first team players that haven't travelled.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
While I think your answers are correct, the guy somewhat has a point though...

While it may not have been overplaying, there have been numerous reports about outdated training regimen and methods under Wenger, so it was kind of overtraining.

And while the squads weren't too small per se, there wasn't enough quality in there overall. Too much faith in the ability and health of your first say 11 to 13 players, and then a load of rubbish for too much money.
My replies were as sweeping as the original remarks.

I don't know enough about the training methods used by either manager and there were few complaints at the time about Wenger (as there are none that I know of now about Emery). A lot of these stories are of "The King is Dead..." variety. If I could be bothered (which I am not) I could fish out a dozen stories where Wenger's methods were described as revolutionary, indeed he recently received an award for how he had influenced Premiership football. Strange that someone so often depicted as a dunce by nonentities should be held in such high regard by football experts.

Oddly, you will also find stories arguing Wenger didn't push players hard enough in training and Emery is doing that. So which is it???

But I see no evidence that Wenger overplayed young players (my complaint is that younger players could have been given more chances) or that he was personally responsible for us having small squads in his time, if indeed we had small squads.

Quality depth fluctuated but this is linked to financial clout. Still is.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

I don't know enough about the training methods used by either manager and there were few complaints at the time about Wenger (as there are none that I know of now). A lot of these stories are of "The King is Dead..." variety. If I could be bothered (which I am not) I could fish out a dozen stories where Wenger's methods were described as revolutionary, indeed he recently received an award for how he had influenced Premiership football. Strange that someone so often depicted as a dunce by nonentities should be held in such high regard by football experts.

Oddly, you will also find stories arguing Wenger didn't push players hard enough in training and Emery is doing that. So which is it???

But I see no evidence that Wenger overplayed young players (my complaint is that younger players could have been given more chances) or that he was personally responsible for us having small squads in his time, if indeed we had small squads.

I just wanted to point out that as sweeping as his remarks were and as wrong his suppositions were, some of it cannot be completely disregarded.

I have definitely heard both about Wenger. Of course the revolutionary stuff, and that he didn't push enough in training, but also that especially regarding fitness training it was kind of odd, I think I remember one that stated in recent years it was more like army bootcamp than at a football club. But I'd need to search for it, too. The pushing might well be in relation to mentally or tactically or something.

Don't think he overplayed young players and I thought that's rather clear, as I said he didn't overplay but rather maybe overtrain going by what I've read.

It's kind of also hard to fathom for me that something like it would go on at a modern, big sports club like Arsenal, but the recurring injuries of a lot of players, in my opinion, do point to a mismanagement of training load and a lack of individual management in that regard. Whether that's down to a bad medical department, fitness department or a disregard of the head coaching staff - I definitely don't know.

The quality depth was about finances, sure, but also about absolutely bad scouting, too.

Multipass

Back to the Southampton game...

Would love to see Arsenal clinical in the first half and go into the break with their first half-time lead. Incredible that it hasn’t happened yet. A bit of urgency in the first 45 would be nice. While a win over 90 is a win, it is asking to much of our players over the course of the season. I think we need a few games here and there that are over by half time so we can rest players and blood others into the premier league.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I just wanted to point out that as sweeping as his remarks were and as wrong his suppositions were, some of it cannot be completely disregarded.

I have definitely heard both about Wenger. Of course the revolutionary stuff, and that he didn't push enough in training, but also that especially regarding fitness training it was kind of odd, I think I remember one that stated in recent years it was more like army bootcamp than at a football club. But I'd need to search for it, too. The pushing might well be in relation to mentally or tactically or something.

Don't think he overplayed young players and I thought that's rather clear, as I said he didn't overplay but rather maybe overtrain going by what I've read.

It's kind of also hard to fathom for me that something like it would go on at a modern, big sports club like Arsenal, but the recurring injuries of a lot of players, in my opinion, do point to a mismanagement of training load and a lack of individual management in that regard. Whether that's down to a bad medical department, fitness department or a disregard of the head coaching staff - I definitely don't know.

The quality depth was about finances, sure, but also about absolutely bad scouting, too.
Not sure we’ll ever know the truth of this. Many of those players that were injured regularly under Wenger were no better elsewhere.
Barcelona struggled to get Vermaelan fit, Ox hasn’t played at Liverpool for months, Marseille tried to get Diaby fit . Welbeck kept breaking down under Wenger and has just done the same under Emery etc.

At the end of the day Wenger wasn’t a medical expert and had a lot of fitness experts giving professional advice and regularly monitoring the players. This stuff about overplaying players was all part and parcel of the growing fabrications to discredit him during the ‘top four isn’t a trophy’ and ‘Mickey mouse FA cups’ era.

Time to put these discussions behind us.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Need something from Mkhi today. Especially if he and Iwobi both start- the onus is on Mkhi in particular IMO.

We have a lot of injuries and suspensions at the back- will be difficult to see us keep a clean sheet, Armstrong is a very good finisher too- he can score against anybody.

I think we’ll win. They’re still finding their feet under a new manager but this will be a harder than it would’ve been a few weeks ago. Defensively they are very careless- fancy Auba to take advantage.

1-3 Arsenal.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Need something from Mkhi today. Especially if he and Iwobi both start- the onus is on Mkhi in particular IMO.

We have a lot of injuries and suspensions at the back- will be difficult to see us keep a clean sheet, Armstrong is a very good finisher too- he can score against anybody.

I think we’ll win. They’re still finding their feet under a new manager but this will be a harder than it would’ve been a few weeks ago. Defensively they are very careless- fancy Auba to take advantage.

1-3 Arsenal.

I'd be surprised if Iwobi and Mhki both start considering Özil is back and fit. If he's on the bench then there may be some truth that him and Emery don't get a long. We need all our fire power today considering our defence will be bang average.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

I don't know enough about the training methods used by either manager and there were few complaints at the time about Wenger (as there are none that I know of now about Emery). A lot of these stories are of "The King is Dead..." variety. If I could be bothered (which I am not) I could fish out a dozen stories where Wenger's methods were described as revolutionary, indeed he recently received an award for how he had influenced Premiership football. Strange that someone so often depicted as a dunce by nonentities should be held in such high regard by football experts.

Not sweeping

It is just a short paraphrase of arguments I land out back then

It is frekkin biology a 16 year old is not an adult, they havent finished growing
So to expose someone to the rigors of professional sports is stupid.
You dont see kids laying asphalt so why should they play professional football ?

Most guys who made their debute as teens (in a regular fashion ) for us have issues with injuries
Cesc
Rambo
Jack
Theo

Knock on wood Bellerin seems ok

Wengers methods might have been revolutionary 20years ago but alot happened in just 10years

We have clear proof that Emery does things different
We run more
Players have lost weight and spoken about the difference in training regime

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wengers methods might have been revolutionary 20years ago but alot happened in just 10years
Come on man, that’s so lame. He didn’t go to sleep for 20 years. He and his medical staff were still attending seminars and keeping up with modern ideas. Mourinho today with double the squad cost is where Wenger was at his worst.Why do people still feel the need to keep this narrative going.

Let’s concentrate on Emery and Southampton. We’re going to win today, Emery is another great manager.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Come on man, that’s so lame. He didn’t go to sleep for 20 years. He and his medical staff were still attending seminars and keeping up with modern ideas. Mourinho today with double the squad cost is where Wenger was at his worst.Why do people still feel the need to keep this narrative going.

Let’s concentrate on Emery and Southampton. We’re going to win today, Emery is another great manager.

Why should I believe that?

Wenger stubbornly stayed with the small technical playmakers even thou it didn't work

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

We haven't lost since the Chelsea game and it looks like we're struggling in 5th ffs, madness :lol::lol:.

The Crystal Palace and Wolves game really let us down.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Did Mustafi get yellow for dive last the game? This guy is beyond stupid.
Sort of agree but there was as much contact with him as Holding made with Son. If he'd hopped a bit and then gone down just holding his leg he might have got the pen or at least not been booked. It was the way he hit the turf.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Why should I believe that?

Wenger stubbornly stayed with the small technical playmakers even thou it didn't work
And Emery’s got Torreira and stick thin Guendouzi and they look very effective to me. Wenger bought Xhaka, Kolasinac and Mertersaker.

You’re over thinking stuff to prove a point that doesn’t need proving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom