• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1.st time in Arsenal history without British-born player

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamilih

IndoGunnerz said:
Asterix said:
Calm down Scorpion - you can see the other side of this debate - it's the English Premier League and it's going to be a talking point when a club fields a squad entriely devoid of English players. It's understandable there will be a loss of identity for some people, just as it's understandable that you and I don't care so long as Arsenal are winning.

Bolton did it earlier this season, I dont remember its been brought up at all in any media :roll: (except in the match report, one day after the game, and never again)

Just because Sam Allardyce is not French.

pamilih

Mbaki Mutahaba said:
AFCG7 said:
Mbaki.. the reality is.. you have a complete lack of understanding for the fans of Arsenal FC , the clubs identity, its roots and the clubs history and tradition.We can remain a disticntly English club represented by at least a few English players if not All-English and still be champions.If there is very little talent in England it is our obligation to find what little there is. If we can send scouts all over Europe we can send them all over England as well.

Do you honestly think Wenger choses not to send scouts all over england or just maybe the scouts don't find any good talent in England. I just think u guys keep ignoring the reality that there is LACK of talent in England. So lets assume Wenger doesn't scout in England..well what about managers from all other 19 EPL and Division 1? Look at those teams and tell me how many talented English kids you see..that u feel can easily cut it in Arsenal For a descent price?

FA rules that a young English player must live within 60 miles of Highbury to join our youth team. This however doesn't apply to European players.
Is it Wenger's fault if he is not allowed to recruit from Devon or Aberdeen, but is allowed to hire Fabregas without problems from Barcelona?

depesh_afc

Aussie said:
its important to me and many other that we stick to our roots. Remember our roots are ENGLISH.

As long as we don't get bought out by a Russian or American tycoon then we'll always have an English core... which is the main thing....right?

patrick42uk

Established Member
it just seems so silly to me. what if wenger had put one token english plkayer on the bench. would that really have made everyon happy? if so, there are some sad, sad people out there. with the right amount of injurie, 80% of premiership managers could have faced this situation. it will be interesting to see in the future what they do. of course now they will put some johnny no-name english lad from the youth on the bench. maybe that little experience will benefit the lad and england can go onto win the world cup :wink:

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Aussie said:
Remember our roots are ENGLISH.

Founded by Scotsmen :wink:

But I fully agree with what you are saying.

Its a shame that there were no English players, its always nice to have a Merson, Parlour, Adams, Keown etc in the mix, but at the end of the day its not that big a deal.

When Cole and Sol are fit, they will play. Hopefully you can add Bentley to that next year and Smith the year after.

afrodizzy

seb_afc said:
afrodizzy said:
f**k the English, so there was no Englishmen at Highbury on Mon who gives a s**t? Coz frankly I don't . When will the English including Gordon Taylor & Paul Merson ever work up to the fact that English are not good enough! Just like that just as you can compare West Ham & Arsenal thats how things are stacked for the English national team. Its not because Arsenal played an all foreing team on monday. David Beckham, Lampard, Steve Gerrad are mediocre players nothing to write home about. This blamestorming should stop!!! Leave Wenger and Arsenal the alone.

First of all, f**k YOU! you live in london and you hate the english? then f**k off and stop polluting our streets you little c**t. We are an ENGLISH club or havent you realised that? our record goalscorer was english. practically our whole team in 89 was english! so what the f**k are you on about "english player are not good enough". and as for beckham, lampard and gerrard all being medeocre players...well that just shows how little you know about the game...are you saying you wouldnt want these player playing for us?? your a joke.

**** you too, I dont hate English, my mom is English but it does not automaticaly mean that England as a nation is good at football. So what if the record goal scorer was English? I know a lot about football maybe more than you know. If England was good as you purport it to be, whats there to show about it? England's national team is average thats why it has not won any trophies since the World Cup in 1966. Who is too blame Arsenal & Wenger, I don't think so? AFC might be an English team but do they owe the FA any favours in grooming English stars, no they don't. The English media stirs up this hysteria but do not believe the hype. I do not see how feilding an Englishman on Mon was going to change the mediocracy of English football. I know thats truth hurts, I definately touched a nerve! Judging by the responses I'm getting its the truth its just its too bitter for a **** like you to swallow. Please do not just throw insults, next time say something meaningful don't just waffle.

Peep this if an young English players were good (they have a chance to shine in junior tournaments) why haven't they attracted interest from Foreign clubs. Let me re-phrase my rhetoric question: How many uoung English players under 24 that are plying their trade outside England. You cant even count them on the fingers of your hand. Apart from the trio (who again are not that young) at Madrid and Owen Hargreaves (who is not exactly English but Canadian) who is there *****?

Not so long ago the English media was saying the Premeir League was the most exciting why, because during Euro 2004 most players were playing for The Premeirship teams. Now because Arsenal which has the largest contingent of black players than any other team outside Africa did not field an English player now the media including ****s like yourself wants to cry foul. Please get a grip!!!

RockyRocastle

Established Member
afrodizzy said:
seb_afc said:
afrodizzy said:
f**k the English, so there was no Englishmen at Highbury on Mon who gives a s**t? Coz frankly I don't . When will the English including Gordon Taylor & Paul Merson ever work up to the fact that English are not good enough! Just like that just as you can compare West Ham & Arsenal thats how things are stacked for the English national team. Its not because Arsenal played an all foreing team on monday. David Beckham, Lampard, Steve Gerrad are mediocre players nothing to write home about. This blamestorming should stop!!! Leave Wenger and Arsenal the alone.

First of all, f**k YOU! you live in london and you hate the english? then f**k off and stop polluting our streets you little c**t. We are an ENGLISH club or havent you realised that? our record goalscorer was english. practically our whole team in 89 was english! so what the f**k are you on about "english player are not good enough". and as for beckham, lampard and gerrard all being medeocre players...well that just shows how little you know about the game...are you saying you wouldnt want these player playing for us?? your a joke.

f**k you too, I dont hate English, my mom is English but it does not automaticaly mean that England as a nation is good at football. So what if the record goal scorer was English? I know a lot about football maybe more than you know. England's national team is average thats why it has not won any trophies since the World Cup in 1966. If it was good whats there to show about it. The English media stirs up this hysteria but do not believe the hype. I do not see how feilding an Englishman on Mon was going to change the mediocracy of English football. I know thats truth hurts, I definately touched a nerve! Judging by the responses I'm getting its the truth its just its too bitter for a c**t like to swallow. Please do not just throw insults next time say something dont waffle

Calm it down mate, its only the internet.

For me and most other gooners this non English issue has nothing to do what so ever with the state of the English national team - I couldnt really care less about England. Its supporters of **** teams like Watford, Brentford and Sp**s who have no chance of winning anything that care about England. Its these little englanders who phone up talk **** and have a go at us.

What we care about is the identity of our club and having a home grown local lad we can relate to - but saying that the days of relating to footballers are long gone.

patrick42uk

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
Aussie said:
Remember our roots are ENGLISH.

Founded by Scotsmen :wink:

But I fully agree with what you are saying.

Its a shame that there were no English players, its always nice to have a Merson, Parlour, Adams, Keown etc in the mix, but at the end of the day its not that big a deal.

When Cole and Sol are fit, they will play. Hopefully you can add Bentley to that next year and Smith the year after.

thats what gets to me. the fact that two englishmen do form the bedrock of our team seems to have slipped the minds of everyone. this is the same amount as chelsea and liverpool. we are being used as scapegoats by some traditionalists who cannot handle the fact the large proportion of premiership players are foriegn.

sol, i'm pleseantly surprised you see no qualms with the composition of our squad. good to see one highbury regular is giving support to the team in that respect.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Great post patrick, it's sad that people who should know better on this forum seem to have forgotten Cole and Campbell in the media inspired rush to condemn.

AFCG7

Established Member
seb_afc said:
jockrutherford said:
AFCG7 said:
Mbaki.. the reality is.. you have a complete lack of understanding for the fans of Arsenal FC , the clubs identity, its roots and the clubs history and tradition.We can remain a disticntly English club represented by at least a few English players if not All-English and still be champions.If there is very little talent in England it is our obligation to find what little there is. If we can send scouts all over Europe we can send them all over England as well.

Well said

agreed. well said. The reason most of you dont care is because you arent english. if you were it would mean a lot more to you.

In some cases that is a harsh analysis.. my main gripe is with fans who see Arsenal FC as a "product" rather than a team they can identify with.

AFCG7

Established Member
In effect then.. some people may as well support a team of great players..doesnt have to Arsenal..as long as its a great product, or contains the player we like or whatever. It wont be any different to them whether or not Arsenal is supposed to be an English club.

patrick42uk

Established Member
maybe thats my problem. i'm not an arsenal fan because i want to identify with the players. but if you look at my generation, how can you? look how much these people earn for godsakes. look at how eager all players these days are to chase the highest pay check. i'm sure a lot of leeds fans felt they could identify with alan smith. didnt stop him from jumping ship to their fierce rivals. look at ashely cole. the only thing that disappointed me with that was to see how disappointed a lot of fans where to find out 'one of their own' was a mercenary. its the way football is these days. curbishley talks about keeping english roots. wasnt scott parker homegrown? didnt stop him from leaving charlton for the big pay day right in the middle of an important season for the club. you cannot identify with individuals anymore. its about the club as a collective. whether that consists of spaniards, germans or bloody eskimos is irrelevant.

karan kansal

Oh my god, how the media frenzy worked up the passion in the arsenal fans. It is sad to see this thread degenerate into a farcical fight between fans who live in london and can "go to the stadium week in week out" and others who support arsenal from outside the shores of england. How the hell does that even make a difference? Does it make anyone more or less of an arsenal fan? You talk of generations in your family watching arsenal and how the team is in your blood. I don't know how you can justify that people abroad who only started watching arsenal because of the Television coverage are any less of a supporter. Grow up you whiny tarts, there are global fans everywhere for every team. A person in africa who supports the Yankees is the same as a fan who supports them in Manhattan. Come to think of it man utd's biggest source of income is its strong fan base in asia. So stop slagging foreigners and such utter nonsense. Grow up for chrissake and just accept the fact that RIGHT NOW there is no english talent in arsenal. And that is all there is to it. Nothing beyond that, nothing about froeigners coming to your country and slagging off the english.
Just REALISE that the situation is not permanent. We might have talent coming through soon in Bentley or some other player. It is just that at this moment there is none. And how quickly you switch sides in defense of players like hoyte. Wasn't he the one who "was given a chance" but performed badly enough to be sent back to the bench. He needs more experience that is all. Upson, Pennant are out because of their messed up attitude and when Upson left he was claiming he is better than Marty Keown.
So finish this nonsense story right here and try and be sensible enough not to be affected by the media so much. They write trash day in day out. After all, they got to fill the 30 odd pages of a bleeding newspaper everyday.

IndoGunnerz

AFCG7 said:
If we can send scouts all over Europe we can send them all over England as well.

no we cant ... we can only get boys from London, heck maybe even only from Islington (how far can you drive from Higbury for 90 minutes anyway ???)

IndoGunnerz

afrodizzy said:
Now because Arsenal which has the largest contingent of black players than any other team outside Africa

I know its not PC or borderline racism or something ... but that comment really made me chuckle :p

A

Anonymous

englishgooner- Tone down the abuse, please. As an Arsenal fan you should be happy we won 5-1 the other night, rather than raging against the dying of your country, of your football team as you know it. I can't believe you were at the back of the Clock End on Monday night, or wherever you may sit, going on about there being no englishmen in the side. Especially in the face of that display.

I didnt mean to be abusing the team, but facts being facts we are the first ever team in world football to play a full squad with not one native countryman in it. I dont expect any of the foreigners here to understand but it is a bad thing.
Im not saying bring back selley etc i know foreigners are the better players, but what im saying is wenger seems to go out of his way to ruin the young english kids chances....
cygan bought to replace upson :roll:
pennant (our 2nd right mid) is dropped so we play an even more out of form robert pires on the wrong side :roll:
taylor replaced by almunia :shock:
bentley got rid of lupoli bought :shock:
hoyte not given a fair go, eboue or whateva his name is is bought :|
Its just stupidity, there was no need to buy these crap foreign players when we had perfectly good youth players coming through. Wenger just doesnt seem to like them.

It also makes you less of a fan than those of us whose families have supported the team for many years. This is our team. Just because they are now a 'global brand' and you spend your money watching them on pay per view does not give you a right to think you are as important as the fans that have kept the club going for so many years. Do you remember when Arsenal was just a mediocre team that won nothing? Did you watch a single game before Wenger took charge?
Both well said, brilliant posts.
And whoever said its the foreign fans who pay more money than us in england :shock: do you pay 50 quid a match? 50 quid petrol up and down the country? europe, cups etc??? 10 dollars PPV and a football shirt is **** all so please dont patronise us. We are the ones who have grown up following the arsenal as our LOCAL TEAM, now every man and his dog want to watch us, fair enough, but that does not make them equal fans to us who have been going for 15years +. Im sorry, but it just CANT.

A

Anonymous

Grow up for chrissake and just accept the fact that RIGHT NOW there is no english talent in arsenal. And that is all there is to it..
Cole and sol the obvious.
Have you watched more than 5 minutes of hoyte? NO so shut up
have you watched any minutes of smith? NO so shut up
do you not remember taylor - twice the goalkeeper of almunia and lemon put together!!!
no talent MY ARSE wenger just doesnt want to use it. IM PRAYING that uefa bring in that rule it will make english football in general alot stronger.
Arsenal are a laughin stock at the moment, ive received non stop abuse from mates since the palace game, and im sure alot of you - here in england - have suffered the same.
First ever team not to play a player from that nation :eek:ops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom