10 Games: Where do we stand?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by qs, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Feanor

Feanor New Member

I do stand by my comment of our defense being still dodgy! One game, bunch of reserve players, no need to panic BUT was very disappointing to watch.

2. otfgoon

otfgoon New Member

Yeah, good teams like the Invincibles with largely their first team would never go away to Ukraine and lose 2-1 to leave us with 1 point after 3 games (including a 3-0 loss at home to Inter).

They'd certainly not allow themselves to be two mins away from going out on the 4th matchday.

Good teams win every single game, and perform in every single game.

3. AshburtonGhost

AshburtonGhost New Member

Not that the Invincibles’ Champions League campaigns are something we should be aspiring to emulate anyway.

4. otfgoon

otfgoon New Member

That's not the point, but fine.

Inter only won 2 games in last seasons group state, while Barcelona also lost to Shaktar the year before.. except at home.

5. Tony Montana

Tony Montana New Member Elite

Otfgoon on a roll here. :lol:

But it's true. This loss isn't that important. We've got two games to qualify and I reckon we just need to draw one of those games for that to happen.

The real game this week is against Newcastle. I'll be gutted if we even draw, especially as United have got Wolves at home. Seriously I want us to be evil.

6. entropy13

entropy13 New Member

Indeed, the group games can only really determine who will qualify but not what would happen in the following stages. Bayern lost twice in the group stages while Bordeaux was unbeaten. And only one of them reached the final last season.

7. Anzac

Anzac Active Member

It's NOT so much about the result, but MORE to do with the performance or lack thereof.

The headlines of 2 articles on the Home page says it all - AW claims Wengerball motivates the team, and then he says we lacked maturity.

The CL Winners & Losers article on f365 also makes some good comparisons between us & CFC.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_6485703,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 03,00.html</a>

8. AshburtonGhost

AshburtonGhost New Member

^ pretty much that and it doesn't look too good knowing that we have a couple of tricky league games after the next two CL ties. Wenger should've sent out a stronger team under strict instruction to tie the group up and be done with it.

9. Burnwinter

Burnwinter New Member Elite

Majority opinion before this match appeared to be that at least a few key players should be rested.

The team we had out there could have and perhaps should have picked up a result, at least a draw without support, particularly once we went head.

But at the same time it's not the end of the world they didn't.

10. Y va marquer

Y va marquer New Member Elite

It may not be the end of the world but it hurts to lose no matter the circumstances.

It also leaves us with work to do to qualify in first spot which increases the pressure to field first team players in consecutive games in a period with congested and difficult fixtures.

11. Anzac

Anzac Active Member

I'm sick to death of such performances being so easily written off because of injuries or that the result mattered little = that's exactly why they (the team & manager) can't win when it DOES count. And I'm equally sick to death about hearing about learning lessons = neither than manager or the players learn a damn thing other than they are untouchable at this club.

12. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

It wasn't the league - that's the 10 matches. This loss is being wrung for every penny-pinch possible.

13. Anzac

Anzac Active Member

True re the League - apologies I'm just sick & tired of deja vu without consequences.

14. progman07

progman07 Well-Known Member

I didn't talk rubbish here a week ago after West Brom... (unfortunately)

15. Burnwinter

If you were saying that on Saturday 6th you must have really enjoyed Sunday and Monday :eek:

16. Anzac

Anzac Active Member

Lol - very true, although I've pretty much gone back into my Bah Humbug state of mind (if you hadn't noticed). :wink:

17. Burnwinter

I've noticed a certain renewed frisson of Bah Humbug about you it's true mate!

18. Anzac

Anzac Active Member

I'm not as angry about it as I was in 07/08 & 08/09 = more resigned to it but I refuse to give up. :twisted: