• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

10 Games: Where do we stand?

Feanor

Established Member
I do stand by my comment of our defense being still dodgy! One game, bunch of reserve players, no need to panic BUT was very disappointing to watch.

otfgoon

Established Member
redanddread said:
OohtobeaGoonerGal said:
One loss and now the pessimism kicks in :roll:
Shakhtar have this 48 game or so unbeaten record so we knew it wasn't going to be straightforward - yes the players we had out there should have been enough but we know we can play better than that and our record isn't good out there anyway - there can be times in the CL where you have to endure an ugly performance in an uncomfortable away game - happens to the best of them.

But still get a result!

Yeah, good teams like the Invincibles with largely their first team would never go away to Ukraine and lose 2-1 to leave us with 1 point after 3 games (including a 3-0 loss at home to Inter).

They'd certainly not allow themselves to be two mins away from going out on the 4th matchday.

Good teams win every single game, and perform in every single game.

otfgoon

Established Member
That's not the point, but fine.

Inter only won 2 games in last seasons group state, while Barcelona also lost to Shaktar the year before.. except at home.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Otfgoon on a roll here. :lol:

But it's true. This loss isn't that important. We've got two games to qualify and I reckon we just need to draw one of those games for that to happen.

The real game this week is against Newcastle. I'll be gutted if we even draw, especially as United have got Wolves at home. Seriously I want us to be evil.

entropy13

Established Member
otfgoon said:
That's not the point, but fine.

Inter only won 2 games in last seasons group state, while Barcelona also lost to Shaktar the year before.. except at home.

Indeed, the group games can only really determine who will qualify but not what would happen in the following stages. Bayern lost twice in the group stages while Bordeaux was unbeaten. And only one of them reached the final last season.

Anzac

Established Member
It's NOT so much about the result, but MORE to do with the performance or lack thereof.

The headlines of 2 articles on the Home page says it all - AW claims Wengerball motivates the team, and then he says we lacked maturity.

The CL Winners & Losers article on f365 also makes some good comparisons between us & CFC.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_6485703,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 03,00.html</a>

AshburtonGhost

^ pretty much that and it doesn't look too good knowing that we have a couple of tricky league games after the next two CL ties. Wenger should've sent out a stronger team under strict instruction to tie the group up and be done with it.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Majority opinion before this match appeared to be that at least a few key players should be rested.

The team we had out there could have and perhaps should have picked up a result, at least a draw without support, particularly once we went head.

But at the same time it's not the end of the world they didn't.

Y va marquer

Established Member
It may not be the end of the world but it hurts to lose no matter the circumstances.

It also leaves us with work to do to qualify in first spot which increases the pressure to field first team players in consecutive games in a period with congested and difficult fixtures.

Anzac

Established Member
I'm sick to death of such performances being so easily written off because of injuries or that the result mattered little = that's exactly why they (the team & manager) can't win when it DOES count. And I'm equally sick to death about hearing about learning lessons = neither than manager or the players learn a damn thing other than they are untouchable at this club.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
It wasn't the league - that's the 10 matches. This loss is being wrung for every penny-pinch possible.

Anzac

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
It wasn't the league - that's the 10 matches. This loss is being wrung for every penny-pinch possible.

True re the League - apologies I'm just sick & tired of deja vu without consequences.

progman07

Established Member
progman07 said:
est said:
We hit the frame of the goal twice and their goalkeeper had an outstanding game. These games happen every now and then, the important thing is to pick up the points.
The main thing is that we won't always pick up the points. In fact, every season we pick up points from these games AND draw many others, because we have too many games like this.

Away games are another worry.

edit: By the way I don't think we have changed that much since last season. Even in 09/10 we were at times leading the table. Every season we have some encouraging wins, and good performances, which always lead to the line "we have improed since last season" but then November and March/April kill it for us.

November is our first test, then March is our second, two months where we have failed in the last few seasons.

I didn't talk rubbish here a week ago after West Brom... (unfortunately)

Burnwinter

Established Member
Anzac said:
AnthonyG said:

True re the League - apologies I'm just sick & tired of deja vu without consequences.

If you were saying that on Saturday 6th you must have really enjoyed Sunday and Monday :eek:

Anzac

Established Member
Burnwinter said:
Anzac said:

If you were saying that on Saturday 6th you must have really enjoyed Sunday and Monday :eek:

Lol - very true, although I've pretty much gone back into my Bah Humbug state of mind (if you hadn't noticed). :wink:

Anzac

Established Member
Burnwinter said:
I've noticed a certain renewed frisson of Bah Humbug about you it's true mate!

I'm not as angry about it as I was in 07/08 & 08/09 = more resigned to it but I refuse to give up. :twisted:

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Latest posts

Top Bottom