• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2017/18 Surprise Story?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Here's a wildcard: Bielik.

When he came here he was a DM, and we're converting him into a CB, right?

Well what if we tried to steer him in the direction of someone like Eric Dier, a player who can adapt simultaneously to both DM and CB when needed.

Bielik is 19 and has just come back from injury, so i'm not saying he's going to be in the first XI any time soon obviously. But if his development continues could he be a long-term solution to our DM issue? His passing is very good but he could also slot in beside two CBs when necessary during a game, like Dier or Matic. Just a thought.
It's not a bad shout but the injury really took a lot of momentum out of him - same with Sheaf, although Sheaf has put together some really good performances since returning from injury. Sheaf and Bielik probably should get some first team opportunities but I doubt they will.

I'm not sure who I would call a "surprise" this season - none of the players have really surprised me that much. For the second half of the season, a lot of the "surprises" I want to see we probably won't and they'll be loaned out.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It's not a bad shout but the injury really took a lot of momentum out of him - same with Sheaf, although Sheaf has put together some really good performances since returning from injury. Sheaf and Bielik probably should get some first team opportunities but I doubt they will.

I'm not sure who I would call a "surprise" this season - none of the players have really surprised me that much. For the second half of the season, a lot of the "surprises" I want to see we probably won't and they'll be loaned out.

Perhaps 17/18 is too soon yes, but I still have faith that he'll come good.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Oh Lord. And I don't mean Bendtner.

Next time keep thoughts like this to yourself. Bielik :lol:

I'll decide myself what to do with my thoughts, thank you.

Have you been watching Bielik closely since he arrived? If so I'll gladly defer to you, but last I checked he was very highly regarded. He's 19 and has just come back from a serious injury after having been played in pre-season, to write him off now would be the height of foolishness.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
AMN really has surprised me.

Out of the first-teamers, hope it's Chambers. I've always wanted to see more of him.

skip spence

Arguably our most consistent performer in the EL despite being played out of position the entire time - possible shout.
You may know better but every time I've watched that kid he's been consistently mediocre, though he's been played out of position as you say. A standout attribute he seems to have is pace. Should be able to use that better from wingback?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'll decide myself what to do with my thoughts, thank you.

Have you been watching Bielik closely since he arrived? If so I'll gladly defer to you, but last I checked he was very highly regarded. He's 19 and has just come back from a serious injury after having been played in pre-season, to write him off now would be the height of foolishness.
I couldn't care less about how he is regarded. Youth level is nothing compared to senior football. Plus guys like Chambers and Holding are ahead of him and they struggle for game time.

At this point in the season to suggest either of those two would be break out players is border line insanity given neither had featured in the Premier League since at least October.

To suggest someone who I'm not even certain has ever featured in a Premier League game is off the charts.

Eduardo_da_Silva

You may know better but every time I've watched that kid he's been consistently mediocre, though he's been played out of position as you say. A standout attribute he seems to have is pace. Should be able to use that better from wingback?

I love the kid. Like many times before on AM we tend to criticise players without putting their performances into the right context.

This is a youngster thats played numerous positions in the last couple of seasons and what amazes me is the fact that he keeps on adapting his game showing some new skills that I didnt expect from him.

His recovery pace is awesome, he has that grit in him making tackles with ease and his decision making seems to be improving as well. Playing left wingback showed he can beat a player as well.

For me he has all the skills needed to be a CM we need, and if given a proper chance I think he can become an acomplished player that will speed up out transition in both directions, something that has been our problem for many seasons now. Also, we seem to finally be using pressing as a part of our game, and AMN could adapt to such game much better than Xhaka for example.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I couldn't care less about how he is regarded. Youth level is nothing compared to senior football. Plus guys like Chambers and Holding are ahead of him and they struggle for game time.

At this point in the season to suggest either of those two would be break out players is border line insanity given neither had featured in the Premier League since at least October.

To suggest someone who I'm not even certain has ever featured in a Premier League game is off the charts.

You're right, it would be off the charts and insane, if I hadn't also clearly stated that I don't expect it to happen any time soon and outlined that it could be a long-term option.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom