• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Abou Diaby (Out)

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Re: The news we have all waited for ... Diaby

Big Poppa said:
I'll never get that logic webdesignlab. You're normally one of the ones I can get/understand. Who's he taking up starts instead of that would do better? Ramsey? Wilshere? If they were ready, Wenger would play them. Start looking at that rather than blaming Diaby. Diaby's been used as a utility player by Wenger in almost every position going, and had significantly less minutes than any of Song, Denilson, Nasri, and Fabregas. That should tell you two things;

1) Wenger currently does not see him as a first choice midielder ahead of the aforementioned.
2) He's not played enough to excel in any one position - be that through injury, form or whatever.

The fact that he (and Silvestre for that matter) therefore seem to get so much vitriol for our underperforming team, whilst the ones who have been on the pitch every week and failing consistently escape much more lightly, sums up the bizarre and frankly embarassing logic of the majority of football fans. And as far as you're thread title goes - speak for yourself rather than using 'we'.

Whilst he has Diaby, Wenger may be tempted not to buy extra players. It is not Diaby himself that is the problem ... I bet even he is bemused at how many starts he gets ... it is Wenger's over confidence in him. Also because we have no defensive minded MF Wenger keeps playing him on the flanks to help out our small skinny lightweight MF.

Diaby is Wenger's problems in a nutshell or microcosm if you prefer. He has to go, in order that something new can be done.

fabo

6.51 / 10

If he was ever going to fluorish in his so-called best role it was this season - after losing 3/4's of our midfield last summer. I'm baffled how people still have confidence in him. What position is he ever going to nail down?

As I've said before, no problem keeping him as a squad player but if he's kept at the expense of signing an actual central midfielder, I see no point in having him here.

stiiphunn

Established Member

It'd be a mistake to sell him. He's gonna get better, and atm he could be a good squad player for us. Really we should aim to keep everyone and simply add a few.

ivansen

Diaby has lots and lots of potential, and I for one would like him to stay. He has an appaling injury record though, and this might be the reason he's not been able to fulfill his potential as of yet.

He needs to change his attitude though, and stay injury free for a season, and then we might get his best. And his best is better than most of our players best.

qs

Established Member

You can live off potential for so long. How much longer do we have to give him? Surely 3 and half years is enough for anyone.

Webdesignlab

Established Member

Remember Toure when he was first here? He was played as a striker, MF holding MF ... I donno ... maybe GK. Diaby has a similar history with us ... but can he nail down one particular place? Which place would that be? Too much in the air about this bloke.

No more promise. We don't have the time.

You know that Man City, Villa and whoever else all see us as the weakest link ... the easiest to beat to CL place? They do not even think about the other three ... only us. To finish above Man U or Chavs or Liverpool does not enter their heads ... only to dethrone us.

We turn up at most grounds and they are confident of a win or a draw ... with chavs, they sink before they play them ... same with man U ... we HAVE o change that. The battle is 50% in the mind ... maybe more.

stiiphunn

Established Member

qs said:
You can live off potential for so long. How much longer do we have to give him? Surely 3 and half years is enough for anyone.
How long we have to give him does not really matter. The question is do you think he has the potential to become a very good player? Personally I believe he does, and so I am willing to give him time, as long as he remains a squad player for now.

He's just gonna have to realize that 5 touches on the ball is way too many to play our game... lol. Nah but seriously, some players mature early, some need more time.

fabo

6.51 / 10

His performance at United in the CL was one of the worst I've seen from an Arsenal midfielder - left young Gibbsy exposed throughout and repeatedly lost tackles to guys half his size. Very disappointed with his progress here, I recall a match we lost at Bolton in his first half season and he was immense and looked every inch the successor to Vieira. Fast forward over 3 years and he couldn't be further from that and really bears no similarities bar his 6'4 frame.

Could be great in Serie A.

qs

Established Member

stiiphunn said:
How long we have to give him does not really matter.

Of course it does. Another season of him getting games would be detrimental to our chances of winning anything.

stiiphunn said:
The question is do you think he has the potential to become a very good player?

He has shown me nothing to suggest he will. He hasn't progressed as a player. There are players with more potential than him behind him the squad.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

qs said:
Big Poppa said:
Your last line is funny, considering he gives the ball away less than Denilson despite playing a significantly riskier game.

Thats simply not true.

And if Diabys passing game is so much riskier why has he only 2 league assists for the season?

I should have been clearer - it's more my opinion that he gives the ball away less than Denilson. Not a fan of stats but maybe someone can look them up to tell me if I'm just chatting rubbish - I don't know down to the nth degree.

-Edit-

just seen some numbers on arse.com for end of season

I cannot answer why Diaby only has 2 league assists although Nasri and Walcott also have only two assists as well. One connection is perhaps that they attempt more dribbles than any of our other midfielders i.e. their game is more about penetrating the opposition and then releasing the ball. Trouble is, its far more difficult to do that successfully and create an assist than simply give the ball to the nearest player - not that I'm suggesting that's all Denilson does.

But anyway, this is more about Diaby, and the fact that I think his potential is vastly underrated - I think everyone on these boards is probably aware of that though.

Attachments

• passing.JPG
    passing.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 262

qs

Established Member

Arsenal.coms stats have already been rubbished in AT.

I usually check <a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards</a> after each game for a proper look at the stats and Denilsons are usually better than Diabys.

ibby

Established Member

qs said:
The crowd have never been on his back. The crowd have been on Eboue, Nik, Song and Ades back and 3 of those guys have pretty much turned it around. Diabys never been booed despite being inferior to any of those players.

The crowd are clearly on his back right now.

Diaby didn't play well against Liverpool and United. :?

Liverpool in the Champions League he was one of the best players on show. Against United in the league earlier on in the season too. Sorry I wasn't specific.

Diaby is arrogant in the things he trying. Far too often dribbling for too long, trying stupid flicks etc. He certainly doesn't lack confidence.

Dribbling far too often is a common trait for someone lacking confidence, he is trying too hard. See Theo when he lacks confidence.

No one would have a problem with people saying Ramsey and Vela aren't ready if it was a decent player keeping them out of the team but Diaby has been given games purely on loyalty. Also pointing to the fact he played less than Denilson and Song is another reason to let him go, his injury record is piss poor.

The guy just has too many negatives. I'll be celebrating if he's let go. I'd always rather see some one else in his place.

Like I said, judging him on this season is extremely harsh, I'd give him one more.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Fair enough. I can never use stats to conclude one player is better than another - only to compare one aspect of their game that is measurable. Like I said though, it's more my opinion, and while I always try to be as objective as possible, it's more often than not just my personal observation.

qs

Established Member

Ibby if we don't judge him on this season what can we judge him on? And why can't we judge him on this season? We started with 3 players battling for the position as Cescs partner, Diaby has shown the least of those 3 and we still need a new midfielder. Where does that leave Diaby as a player? Behind Cesc, new Mid, Denilson and Song. That just means Wenger will try to accommodate him out of position on the left or playing off the striker.

We are too far off being competitive to keep guys like Diaby in the squad. Not until we let go of these mediocre players will we get back to the level we all know we should be at.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot

Suitable tag - Inconsistent player...

ibby

Established Member

qs said:
Ibby if we don't judge him on this season what can we judge him on? And why can't we judge him on this season? We started with 3 players battling for the position as Cescs partner, Diaby has shown the least of those 3 and we still need a new midfielder. Where does that leave Diaby as a player? Behind Cesc, new Mid, Denilson and Song. That just means Wenger will try to accommodate him out of position on the left or playing off the striker.

We are too far off being competitive to keep guys like Diaby in the squad. Not until we let go of these mediocre players will we get back to the level we all know we should be at.
Diaby is a wierd one, I don't think we can judge him on this season because:

a. He has been injured for parts of it
b. He has been played out of position for large spells

I think we can both agree that Diaby's position isn't as a winger, now if we play Denilson, Song or even Fabregas as a winger do you think the quality of their performances would be far off Diaby's?

I keep on harping on about his injuries because with young players like Diaby they need an extended run in the first team to show their true capabilities, not an on and off season like the one now. Players like Theo and Bendtner are similar.

qs

Established Member

The fact he's so often injured and can't nail down a regular position are just more reasons to get rid of him IMO.

Diaby is 23 now. Time to cut our losses, he no longer counts as a young player with potential. At Arsenal I expect more from 23 year old mifielders.

ibby

Established Member

Between 7 to 10 million if we are looking to sell in my humble opinion.

qs

Established Member

I think we'd easily get over £5m, maybe even £7m or £8m

Latest posts+

Top Bottom