• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Abou Diaby (Out)

Unforgiven

Established Member
Re: The news we have all waited for ... Diaby

I think diaby is one of the worst passers I have ever seen at times, and just does not know how to play flowing football. I remember him even passing to players who are 6 meters to the left of him and the ball would go out for a throw in. The fact he has no actual position makes him useless as a squad player since he can't actually play anywhere and at least make some impact unless its a supporting striker which I doubt will happen. Sell him.

Proof

Established Member

DaGunners said:
Denilson should be defending the midfield, and he has done that well. If defenders can't defend against strikers, that's their fault.
Denilson has done well in protecting the midfield ?!? I have seen him many times jogging on the pitch while the opposition was attacking. Firstly he's not a DM so it's not his fault that Wenger played him there. IMO he isn't better than Diaby in the centre of midfield.

Webdesignlab

Established Member

Hey you lot ... Diaby bashing NOT Denilson. Keep on topic.

beck

Established Member

Webdesignlab said:
Remember Touré when he was first here? He was played as a striker, MF holding MF ... I donno ... maybe GK. Diaby has a similar history with us ... but can he nail down one particular place? Which place would that be? Too much in the air about this bloke.

No more promise. We don't have the time.

You know that Man City, Villa and whoever else all see us as the weakest link ... the easiest to beat to CL place? They do not even think about the other three ... only us. To finish above Man U or Chavs or Liverpool does not enter their heads ... only to dethrone us.

We turn up at most grounds and they are confident of a win or a draw ... with chavs, they sink before they play them ... same with man U ... we HAVE o change that. The battle is 50% in the mind ... maybe more.
man city have taken 6pts off man utd at home in the last 4 seasons the same they have taken off of us.
aston villa have taken 5 pts off chelsea at home in 4 years,liverpool 2pts the same as us

taylor314gh

DaGunners said:
Me, protect Diaby? :lol:

You got the wrong guy.

As for your point about Denilson's assists, he has 7, top 10 in the league this season if I believe.

Also, shielding the defense from attackers? WTF is this, a daycare? Denilson should be defending the midfield, and he has done that well. If defenders can't defend against strikers, that's their fault.

My fault on diaby, this is a diaby thread, maybe I misread your posts. Denilson had 7 assists, putting him 22nd according to the premier league website. RvP, Fabregas, Arshavin, and Ade had more assists last season. Diaby had 2, which is pathetic. the point I am trying to make is that he is being played in the holding/defensive midfielder role for us, which is not his role, nor is it Diaby's. Those two guys are not going to over take cesc as the attacking mid, and they are not good enough as defensive mids.

By the way, it is the midfield's job to stop attacks before they get to the defense, so they are supposed to shield the defenders. A quality defensive mid would have alleviated alot of the defensive issues we had this season. If the defense is constantly put under pressure, they will eventually make a mistake. The idea is to keep the ball in the other teams attacking third, preventing them from ever getting a chance to score. That is what the midfield is supposed to do.

To bring this all back on the threads topic, neither of them are good enough for the role we are playing them in, I have no problem with offloading them if we replace them with a stronger, more defensive minded mid.

beck

Established Member

scytheavatar said:
DaGunners said:
gstew said:
Regardless of statistics, I don't believe that Denilson is a ball winner.
That is ridiculous. He is top 5 in terms of tackles won, and destroys every other mid in terms of interceptions. While you may not like his style of play, which is completely acceptable, he does his job as a CM well, and saying he isn't a ball winner or that he has taken baby steps in development is not acceptable in my opinion.

Have you actually seen him play this season? See how he was muscled out in almost every game, against third rate midfields like Hull, Stroke and West Brom? How we was easily dispossed everytime (granted Diaby was even worse than him)? Please read though the match game ratings and see how many bad games Denilson had. If Flamini hasn't left I bet that we would have won the title this season.
which game against westbrom are you taling about?
the opening day of the season where he linked up with nasri to score the only goal of the game or the one where he picked out bendtner to put us in front?

beck

Established Member

Unforgiven said:
I think diaby is one of the worst passers I have ever seen at times, and just does not know how to play flowing football. I remember him even passing to players who are 6 meters to the left of him and the ball would go out for a throw in. The fact he has no actual position makes him useless as a squad player since he can't actually play anywhere and at least make some impact unless its a supporting striker which I doubt will happen. Sell him.
played well enough at right back bolton[h] in 05/06.
on the left in the cc final.
in the middle at everton and Sp**s
just behind ade at newcastle.06/07.
on the left [h] to steau bucharest.08/09.
in the middle of a 5 at fenerbahce
on the left at boro;behind rvp at villa and in the middle at newcastle 08/09.
to give up on diaby without him fulfilling his full potential would be criminal.his been desperetly unlucky with injurys and looking vaugely like paddy.let him blossom and grow as abou of the arsenal

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

beck said:
which game against westbrom are you taling about?
the opening day of the season where he linked up with nasri to score the only goal of the game or the one where he picked out bendtner to put us in front?
Thats a bad example mate. They are talking about Ball Winning FFS.

tam1886

Established Member

Big Poppa said:
Diaby's been used as a utility player by Wenger in almost every position going, and had significantly less minutes than any of Song, Denilson, Nasri, and Fabregas. That should tell you two things;

1) Wenger currently does not see him as a first choice midielder ahead of the aforementioned.
2) He's not played enough to excel in any one position - be that through injury, form or whatever.
All it tells me that he hasn't got the ability to get ahead of those players at this time. As it seems to be the general consensus that Denilson and Song aren't quite ready yet themselves, where is the point in sticking by the guy behind them in the pecking order when we could move him on, which I think is possibly now best for both parties, and replace him with a player more suited to our needs and weaknesses right now as opposed to sometime in the future when we hope Diaby pulls it together.

ibby said:
The crowd are clearly on his back right now.
Which crowd? I don't think he's been getting it hard off the fans?

ibby said:
I keep on harping on about his injuries because with young players like Diaby they need an extended run in the first team to show their true capabilities, not an on and off season like the one now. Players like Theo and Bendtner are similar.
The quality of competition for the midfield positions in this squad is bad enough as it is. I think if Diaby is struggling to impose himself on Denilson and Song, then there is seriously something he isn't doing right. You talk of him getting an extended run in the team, what has he done to show he has earned it? Would you just give him the place and see if he sinks or swims?

Big Poppa said:
Its probably because we have so many pre-pubescents at this club that people get itchy trigger fingers about someone being 23 and not the bonafide finished article. Ridiculous.
It's not that he's not the finished article which is making people doubt his place, but that he is currently the weakest and offering the least of the three non-finished articles in the team. And he is the one that we could alledgedly move on if we wanted.

I don't think he's a bad player, but we can't keep throwing playing time at players who aren't doing the biz. If we sign the CM we all need, and keep Diaby then things might work out fine for him, if he accepts it and fights for his role in the team. I would just hope that by then we would have enough cover in the wings to ensure we don't see him on the left again. In that situation though, I'd question how he would improve with limited playing time. Like I've said before, it might be the time for Diaby to move and and get himself a regular game in his own position for his benefit more than Arsenal's.

ibby

Established Member

tam1886 said:
Which crowd? I don't think he's been getting it hard off the fans?

The crowd/fans/supporters don't necessarily have to boo a player for the player to notice that they are unhappy with his performances. It's clear Diaby is lacking confidence and the best thing we can do right now is just get behind him.

The quality of competition for the midfield positions in this squad is bad enough as it is. I think if Diaby is struggling to impose himself on Denilson and Song, then there is seriously something he isn't doing right. You talk of him getting an extended run in the team, what has he done to show he has earned it? Would you just give him the place and see if he sinks or swims?

Denilson and Song have been getting games for the first team, one can ask what did they do to deserve 35+ games this season. Diaby started 25, more than half of that as a left winger, a position he isn't used to. Add that with the lack of quality and confidence in the team it's no wonder why Diaby (and a few others) have been putting the kind of performances they have recently.

Just as an add on, in an ideal world Denilson, Diaby nor Song would even be at my Arsenal, none of them are good enough for the Arsenal I want to see week in week out but in the real world there isn't much us fans can do nor is there much Wenger can do (unless you see him selling them and bringing in Yaya, Chiellini and co). However Diaby has shown me that he has the highest ceiling out the trio and like I said, I'd give him a season more.

tam1886

Established Member

ibby said:
Denilson and Song have been getting games for the first team, one can ask what did they do to deserve 35+ games this season. Diaby started 25, more than half of that as a left winger, a position he isn't used to. Add that with the lack of quality and confidence in the team it's no wonder why Diaby (and a few others) have been putting the kind of performances they have recently.

Just as an add on, in an ideal world Denilson, Diaby nor Song would even be at my Arsenal, none of them are good enough for the Arsenal I want to see week in week out but in the real world there isn't much us fans can do nor is there much Wenger can do (unless you see him selling them and bringing in Yaya, Chiellini and co). However Diaby has shown me that he has the highest ceiling out the trio and like I said, I'd give him a season more.
I agree with you, the competition isn't good and ideally Denilson and Song would be fighting Flamini or someone to get their own place in the team. I said as much myslef before about spots being handed to players who haven't earned them. But as it is, the spot is up for grabs and Denilson did his best to grab it, then Song came into the team stronger and both left Diaby flouncing around in their wake.

I kinda agree with you on them being in the perfect Arsenal team. I like them as squad options, but as first team choices I'm not happy with any of them really at this point.

As for Diaby, I just think the point has come where it's a perfectly viable option to be looking at replacing him. I don't doubt his high ceiling, I just think it would be more harmful to us as a team in the short term to help him achieve it in the longer term. If we signed the right player, I wouldn't be against him going on loan. But right now to further his development he needs games in his preferred position, and he isn't good enough currently to get them here.

banduan

Established Member

I had ibby's same stance on Diaby. The season before. This season I want him out. In fact, he's the only player now that I want out.

Unforgiven

Established Member

to be fair he is a very tall guy and could really help us in the air. Problem is he doesn't, yes he scored against stoke from an easy stoke but for his height and some of the chances he has had in the air, he can't make up for how bad 90% of the time he is on the pitch like Bendtner can at times. His defensive marking has been atrocious at times, such as when we lost to Porto 2-0 and he let the guy jump over him to score a header.

Top Bottom