• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think a major issue last night was confidence more than anything but also he has geared so much of his game towards being a #8 that I feel he doesn't quite have the mentality of a winger anymore. At least not like when he was 16 and scoring goals.

In any event though, theres too much passivity from him at the moment in games where you feel he should be showing a lot more intensity and character. Hes in trouble for me.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Still, that's one of 2 positions he wants to play in - you would think he would have put more juice into the performance. Very disappointing.

In all honesty seeing him play further up the pitch , I am actually quie convinced in his ability , I think the guy has something special about him .
Think mentally he has to be a bit tougher but it's all there for him otherwise to make a big impact

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
In all honesty seeing him play further up the pitch , I am actually quie convinced in his ability , I think the guy has something special about him .
Think mentally he has to be a bit tougher but it's all there for him otherwise to make a big impact
I the reply ended up above! :lol:

I'll add though - ability is 100 per cent not a problem for Ainsley. Hes just as talented physically and technically as the others we are producing. Its everything else that's not working right now. And again I maintain that playing him full back ruined him.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think a major issue last night was confidence more than anything but also he has geared so much of his game towards being a #8 that I feel he doesn't quite have the mentality of a winger anymore. At least not like when he was 16 and scoring goals.

In any event though, theres too much passivity from him at the moment in games where you feel he should be showing a lot more intensity and character. Hes in trouble for me.

Yeah that is what I mean about being mentally stronger .
Then again Unai might find his ability to play 3 positions invaluable from a tactical sense . He could even play the Ramsey role 15/16 where he started on the right and drifted infield to help in possession and outnumber in midfield .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, that would make way more sense, though whether we need that role is up for debate. Do you think AMN could play as a number 6?
Ehhhh......he could do it but not as well as, say, Torreira does it. Dont see AMN being dogged enough or savvy enough as a tackler to do that role to a top 4 standard. Good interceptor though so he has that as an advantage. What he could add to that role is being able to carry the ball from deep and a good enough short passing game (when hes focused) that can progress us up the pitch.

Personally, AMN is comfortably an 8. It's his best role, where he can use all of his strengths and mitigates at least some of his weaknesses - all of which are intangible more than anything. He is much better when heavily involved on the ball. Last night, most of the game went through the left while Bellerin and AMN had fewer touches overall. It benefited Nelson, who's had a tough time recently aswell, as he similarly is a ball dominant player. Had AMN been playing further infield, I think he would have had a better game, but nonetheless his performance still would not have helped his cause no matter the mitigating circumstances simply because of how vocal he was before the game about what he is as a player. People still think he should suck it up and be a right back or leave. This will only strengthen that feeling.

Toast

Established Member
Ehhhh......he could do it but not as well as, say, Torreira does it. Dont see AMN being dogged enough or savvy enough as a tackler to do that role to a top 4 standard. Good interceptor though so he has that as an advantage. What he could add to that role is being able to carry the ball from deep and a good enough short passing game (when hes focused) that can progress us up the pitch.

Personally, AMN is comfortably an 8. It's his best role, where he can use all of his strengths and mitigates at least some of his weaknesses - all of which are intangible more than anything. He is much better when heavily involved on the ball. Last night, most of the game went through the left while Bellerin and AMN had fewer touches overall. It benefited Nelson, who's had a tough time recently aswell, as he similarly is a ball dominant player. Had AMN been playing further infield, I think he would have had a better game, but nonetheless his performance still would not have helped his cause no matter the mitigating circumstances simply because of how vocal he was before the game about what he is as a player. People still think he should suck it up and be a right back or leave. This will only strengthen that feeling.

Based on yesterday, it seems like Emery sees Guendouzi as a potential number 6. It's a real shame Emery took AMN off and played Toreira as an 8 instead. On paper, a midfield of Guendouzi as 6 with AMN and Willock should work quite well and I would've liked to see it in action. (Yes, Ceballos played instead of Willock at that point, but I think the balance would've been more or less the same.)

------ Willock
------------------------ AMN
-----------Guendouzi

Guendouzi is good at transitioning play from our third to the middle third, Willock excels at transitioning from the middle to the final third and AMN can contribute on both ends. Defensively it could be a bit shaky, but that can be fixed.

Last edited:

Impact

Established Member

Watching the game yesterday, there were several moments where his positioning was off. He kept defaulting to what you would expect for a full-back. Bellerin and him had to interchange back into the correct spaces at least 4/5 times in the game.

Think it will take some time/matches for him to relearn how to be a winger. Though we saw a glimpse of his potential with his smart footwork that opened up the space for Martinelli to assist Ceballos.

Still prefer him at #8. Athletic box-to-box ball winning midfielders are back in fashion and Maitland-Niles has the physical/technical makings of a very good one.

Bennett

Hate to be overly critical but I'm really yet to see any area where AMN excels in enough to ever think he'll be more than a utility man here. I really hope I'm wrong but out of all of our kids he just seems like he'll wind up at Bournemouth in 3 years having never really nailed down an exact role.

karquosa

You could tell that he was lacking in confidence and growing in frustration throughout the game particularly in the moments right after losing out on loose balls or coming up second in 50-50s. He kept looking up at the sky and cursing himself as he rued his missed opportunities. I would love for him to cut that out of his game and build a more resolute belief in his own abilities even when things go awry and am optimistic it will naturally dissipate with more playing time in his preferred positions and better performances.

The single thing that gave me hope about ainsley’s future after yesterday’s game was how unhappy he seemed with himself after he was subbed. The camera panned to his face a couple of times when he was on the bench and he just seemed lost in self-frustration. I take that as strong indicator that he was aware he didn’t deliver and that he expects more of himself (especially in a position that he covets and is allegedly more comfortable for him to play in). I don’t take him for a halfwit and think he genuinely fancies himself to be one of the better ballers in the squad.

With that being said this season, with all the other talent breaking through, will make or break him. I, for one, am hoping it’s the former.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Thought it was a bit weird he played wide right to begin with, did he play there at youth level? Again I'm obviously in a minority who thinks he could become a decent RB, like a good backup if he simply put his midfield dream to bed and focused on becoming the best full-back he could be. He has all the right attributes for it, I know sometimes he's a bit casual but there was times were he was doing really well especially on 1 on 1's last season.

If he wants to be a midfielder it won't be at Arsenal, heck it probably won't even be at a premier league side. Like look at Watford's midfield, one of the sides fighting relegation and they've got far superior midfielders to someone like AMN. I think he could be a decent level RB tho at a lower PL side, or a backup one for a higher up team. But he's got to make a choice. A position change has saved many a career.

lazyfreak

Thought it was a bit weird he played wide right to begin with, did he play there at youth level? Again I'm obviously in a minority who thinks he could become a decent RB, like a good backup if he simply put his midfield dream to bed and focused on becoming the best full-back he could be. He has all the right attributes for it, I know sometimes he's a bit casual but there was times were he was doing really well especially on 1 on 1's last season.

If he wants to be a midfielder it won't be at Arsenal, heck it probably won't even be at a premier league side. Like look at Watford's midfield, one of the sides fighting relegation and they've got far superior midfielders to someone like AMN. I think he could be a decent level RB tho at a lower PL side, or a backup one for a higher up team. But he's got to make a choice. A position change has saved many a career.
Yes, RW was AMN's "natural position".

Your sentiments about him being a RB is sort of what I previously said (#122). Either he tries to make RB his own or find a new club and try to be a CM there. It's just not gonna happen here at Arsenal. I'd say he was even lucky just to get a chance to play higher up the pitch. Had ESR been fit, chances are he would've played instead AMN.

Edit: RW is still his "natural position". From Ainsley himself, I'm a midfielder by trade, either central or on the wing, it's all the same to me. So he finally played in his natural position after a couple of years but ended up being anonymous.

Last edited:

nick gould

Play him defensive mid. His pace is insane. He should bring some intensity into his game or risk being shipped out to accrington Stanley. Try him in mid first unai.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
I wonder who finds this talented player. He completely plays in another level!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom