• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aleksandr Golovin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
On a real though, I don't think the past crop of Russian players is too big a factor to consider.

Otherwise, you wouldn't have your Aubameyangs, your Weahs, your Mkhitaryans, your Adebayors, your Litmanens, your Yorkes...

If he's good, he's good.

I get what you're trying to say, but your examples don't really add up.

Aubameyang might play for Gabon, but he was born in France, and clearly is a product of France. Also, his dad played professional football in France and for the Gabon national team.

Mkhitaryan gradually worked his way up from Shaktar to Dortmund before he moved to the EPL.

Weah and Adebayor were both relatively unheard of players that Wenger gave a chance to that few others would. But Africa had also been creating scouting networks and sending players to Europe.

Litmanen might be Finnish, but he made his name at Ajax, and the Dutch League has long been a destination for players prior to moving to a big league.

Yorke is from Trinidad, but he played for Aston Villa for nearly a decade before he moved to ManU.

Golovin looks talented, but there are few examples of Russian players moving to the EPL and being successful. Pretty much everyone on their national team plays in Russia. Not a good indicator of Golovin being able to thrive in a much more competitive league.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I get what you're trying to say, but your examples don't really add up.

Aubameyang might play for Gabon, but he was born in France, and clearly is a product of France. Also, his dad played professional football in France and for the Gabon national team.

Mkhitaryan gradually worked his way up from Shaktar to Dortmund before he moved to the EPL.

Weah and Adebayor were both relatively unheard of players that Wenger gave a chance to that few others would. But Africa had also been creating scouting networks and sending players to Europe.

Litmanen might be Finnish, but he made his name at Ajax, and the Dutch League has long been a destination for players prior to moving to a big league.

Yorke is from Trinidad, but he played for Aston Villa for nearly a decade before he moved to ManU.

Golovin looks talented, but there are few examples of Russian players moving to the EPL and being successful. Pretty much everyone on their national team plays in Russia. Not a good indicator of Golovin being able to thrive in a much more competitive league.
Fair points, I can see why Golovin's case is different.

I still think however that it's unfair to judge a player based on their nationality, which is effectively what this argument hindges on. Was Golovin raised in the same way as the other Russian players? Did he learn to play football the same way? Does he have the same physique? Does he play in the same role? The answer isn't yes just because he's Russian, and it'd be silly to dismiss him by making that assumption.

Golovin has been great for CSKA Moskow not only in the Russia League, but also in the Europa League facing a multitude of big, international clubs. There isn't a guarantee that he'll be a world star, but there is plenty to suggest that he can have a successful career. It's no less possible than that of young French talent #273.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Yet, Arshavin teared the league a new one at times ;)

Think it is somewhat of a fair argument but nethertheless
each player should be merely judged based on his quality or potential which Golovin both seems to have.

That being said I am still not too convinced that this guy would be the
answer to one of our glaring weak points in the squad.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
@Aevius is making all the sense, this talk of his nationality is absurd. Talent can come from anywhere. Yes it is usually concentrated in certain areas, but there are always statistical outliers. If anything the fact that Golovin learnt his insane technique from playing futsal in Kaltan just makes him more interesting than someone who learnt it at La Masia.

Newchange

How much do CSKA actually want for him? If it’s £10m as has been reported, it’s worth the risk.

I think they would want closer to 20m after his performances in Europe plus he will be showcased at the World Cup. Be interesting to see how many people want him when 20-30m is his pricetag

BBF

I still think however that it's unfair to judge a player based on their nationality, which is effectively what this argument hindges on. Was Golovin raised in the same way as the other Russian players? Did he learn to play football the same way? Does he have the same physique? Does he play in the same role? The answer isn't yes just because he's Russian, and it'd be silly to dismiss him by making that assumption.

Golovin has been great for CSKA Moskow not only in the Russia League, but also in the Europa League facing a multitude of big, international clubs. There isn't a guarantee that he'll be a world star, but there is plenty to suggest that he can have a successful career. It's no less possible than that of young French talent #273.

What argument? The current crop in the national team who have been hyped to no-end are rubbish, and haven't lived up to the hype. What's to argue there?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Andrey+Arshavin+Liverpool+v+Arsenal+Premier+IpLlP6LDQnol.jpg
As much as I loved old fat arse, he only proves what I'm saying. He's the best player they've ever produced, and look at his career :lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The best Russian players are Ukrainian. Khabib Nurmagomedov would get a game for Russia.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
For such a huge nation with quite a strong national team a very very long time ago they havent really produced any players at all since the 60's, especially if Arshavin is the best of the best, they should be doing a lot better a country that wide spread.

In other news has anyone seen 'Tim the bear' which has caused a bit of a stir, he was pitch side and delivered the ball to the ref..? :lol:

Hmm saying that things like Tim the bear can probably be linked somewhere to why they are so **** at football..

Reactions: A_G

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, strictly judging someone based on their nationality should be frowned upon.

What I'm trying to say is that most of this depends on the player development structures within a nation. It has nothing to do with whether Russians are "good" players, but if Russia has developed the soccer infrastructure to develop players who can produce at the highest level. And there are a lot of ways to go about this.

Plenty of countries like Holland, Belgium, and Portugal are stepping stones to the bigger leagues. The bigger leagues obviously develop players to play at the highest level. Players from all over the world go to these smaller leagues before jumping to the big leagues.

And then there is Russia. Their talent hardly ever leaves the country. Foreign players rarely flock there with the expectation of then jumping to a bigger league. Their national team never produces at the highest level. As a national league, it neither develops top players or attracts quality foreign players.

Golovin looks talented, and being Russian isn't the problem. However, being developed in Russia should make everyone skeptical of his ability to produce at the highest level.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Yeah, strictly judging someone based on their nationality should be frowned upon.

What I'm trying to say is that most of this depends on the player development structures within a nation. It has nothing to do with whether Russians are "good" players, but if Russia has developed the soccer infrastructure to develop players who can produce at the highest level. And there are a lot of ways to go about this.

Plenty of countries like Holland, Belgium, and Portugal are stepping stones to the bigger leagues. The bigger leagues obviously develop players to play at the highest level. Players from all over the world go to these smaller leagues before jumping to the big leagues.

And then there is Russia. Their talent hardly ever leaves the country. Foreign players rarely flock there with the expectation of then jumping to a bigger league. Their national team never produces at the highest level. As a national league, it neither develops top players or attracts quality foreign players.

Golovin looks talented, and being Russian isn't the problem. However, being developed in Russia should make everyone skeptical of his ability to produce at the highest level.
Can't say I disagree with that.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Up to a point, but you have to trust what you see in front of you. And what you see is clearly a very talented player good enough to play in a better league. I agree that Russia simply doesn't have the correct structure to systemically develop footballers to the highest level, but there are always exceptions.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

I have no idea where I heard this from, I think it was either a documentary or a player interview but they said money was one of the big failings of player development.

I cant remember the exact wording but it was something to do with when Russian clubs were loaded Zenit,Anzhi etc and Russian youth players were hitting the first teams they were then on ridiculous wages in Russia and then the youth players were priced out of development moves to Europe but would also stop putting in the effort for their club as they got comfortable and had 'made' it with no intentions to leave Russia.

Mastercutor

Tidy player, but not convinced that he's at that level that we need (and want), so I hope we have some better options up our sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom