• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The gulf in ability between this idiot & his uncle is unfathomable.

How were we ever duped into taking him on as a prospect?

Thank God some competent people are running the academy now to filter out players of his ilk before he gets within a sniff of the first team.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Can’t beat a bit of casual * accusing on a Monday morning :drool:
Actually didn't intend for it to insinuate he was a peado but no turning back now. Was more aimed at the fact he'd rather start Nketiah and ESR than PEA and Ramsey on most days...

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The gulf in ability between this idiot & his uncle is unfathomable.

How were we ever duped into taking him on as a prospect?

Thank God some competent people are running the academy now to filter out players of his ilk before he gets within a sniff of the first team.
Last of the Wengers, I feel. Fantastic technique, touch, athleticism; he can show he’s really sharp at times in the middle to get things moving —not unlike Rozza at times. But he just cant maintain it and loses his composure in the final third too often. His shooting technique is as bad as I’ve seen. You can only feel there’s a really good player in there for so long. I’d hold onto him and let him prove himself from the bench next season and if he’s cant push on, let him go.

Last edited:

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Last of the Wengers, I feel. Fantastic technique, touch, athleticism; he can show he’s really sharp at times in the middle to get things moving —not unlike Rozza at times. But he just cant maintain it and loses his composure in the final third too often. His shooting technique is as bad as I’ve seen. You can only feel there’s a really good player in there for so long. I’d hold onto him and let him prove himself from the bench next season and if he’s cant push on, let him go.

That chance yesterday when he had Schmeichel at his mercy had me bellowing in anger!! Had that gone in the complexion of the entire match would've changed.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
That chance yesterday when he had Schmeichel at his mercy had me bellowing in anger!! Had that gone in the complexion of the entire match would've changed.
As much as he needs to do better, it's his wrong foot... Auba's release was a fraction late and heavy tbh, meaning a chance on his right foot disappears. It'd be nice to not have to make that excuse though! What pisses me off the most is when he looks up where he wants the ball to go before he's struck it and strikes it poorly . I'd say schoolboy stuff, but schoolboys theses days do better than that.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

As much as he needs to do better, it's his wrong foot... Auba's release was a fraction late and heavy tbh, meaning a chance on his right foot disappears. It'd be nice to not have to make that excuse though! What pisses me off the most is when he looks up where he wants the ball to go before he's struck it and strikes it poorly . I'd say schoolboy stuff, but schoolboys theses days do better than that.

He's no longer a prospect who we can leisurely wait for to come good. This is his level & it is far below the level a player aspiring to play at Arsenal should be at.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
In fairness, he was never a great finisher, bar that one purple patch he had as a false 9 for the U23s. He was a much better finisher when he wasn't sidefooting everything and slapping his laces through it instead, but his technique for shooting always was a problem. Gnabry was the real shooter in that group, he had such a true, accurate finish. Real power and precision.

Iwobi was great at carrying the ball and playing good passes from the middle 3rd, even as a winger. He could reinvent himself as a CM but I don't think he'd have the space to do that here, so it's difficult for him. He's fortunate that Wenger was his biggest fan, otherwise I wouldn't have thought he'd make it here. But he has good technique outside of shooting, good body strength and ability to carry the ball. There's still a lot we can do with Iwobi if he stays - I just don't think he has any more potential as an attacker.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I don't think we can replace everyone from the deadwood next window and getting good result next season. I think we will have to settle for keeping few of them and wait for another window to get rid.
Agreed. But i would argue Iwobi is more sellable then some of the others. Young, homegrown, he's far easier to sell then someone like El Neny whose sitting on a fat contract and nobody would want or Jenkinson who has no ambition and also happy to see his contract out. Iwobi while **** strikes me as a decent lad. Think he might move on if advised too.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
In fairness, he was never a great finisher, bar that one purple patch he had as a false 9 for the U23s. He was a much better finisher when he wasn't sidefooting everything and slapping his laces through it instead, but his technique for shooting always was a problem. Gnabry was the real shooter in that group, he had such a true, accurate finish. Real power and precision.

Iwobi was great at carrying the ball and playing good passes from the middle 3rd, even as a winger. He could reinvent himself as a CM but I don't think he'd have the space to do that here, so it's difficult for him. He's fortunate that Wenger was his biggest fan, otherwise I wouldn't have thought he'd make it here. But he has good technique outside of shooting, good body strength and ability to carry the ball. There's still a lot we can do with Iwobi if he stays - I just don't think he has any more potential as an attacker.
Lengin' and rassin' da ting? How could anyone forget :lol:

He doesn't have the range of passing yet even if he's got the brain. The further forward he gets, the dumber he becomes. He has to wake up one morning and see the light, whatever light that be. It'd seem a waste of a guy with some good tools if he amounted to zero.

Aevi

Hale End FC
So, so disappointed.

I've always had time for Iwobi, but I think we've reached a point where we've got to doubt this project. I can't say I see much improvement in his game from day 1. The numbers aren't up to scratch from what one would expect from an Arsenal attacker. He's been given many, many opportunities and just hasn't taken them. If this were Liverpool of the last 3 years, he'd be sold along with other underperformers and the money would be reinvested. I think it's time we do the same. There are players out there who could offer us more.

progman07

Established Member
So, so disappointed.

I've always had time for Iwobi, but I think we've reached a point where we've got to doubt this project. I can't say I see much improvement in his game from day 1. The numbers aren't up to scratch from what one would expect from an Arsenal attacker. He's been given many, many opportunities and just hasn't taken them. If this were Liverpool of the last 3 years, he'd be sold along with other underperformers and the money would be reinvested. I think it's time we do the same. There are players out there who could offer us more.
Yes, unfortunately his lack of any kind of end product is a huge reason for our failures, you just cannot allow a player who doesn't have a proper defensive contribution to score just 5 goals in 49 performances (31 starts) as a winger. I'm not sure about his assists, but I can't imagine it's over 5.

EDIT: He scored 3 goals in 30+9 games last season. So 8 goals in 88 games as a pure attacker.

It increases the burden on Laca-Auba to produce chances alone, and on Kolasinac to put in crosses he is obviously average at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson
Top Bottom