• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Amazing news this he been our most important player in last 2 months he deserve to play the final.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Sure the RB / RWB slot will be Hectors providing he gets his **** together over the summer. Still not in great form but came way with two assists at the weekend. His higher ability to defend sets him apart for me. When we return to 4 at the back Ox infront is way more beneficial than Theo though.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

That Sp**s game where Son rinsed Chamberlain like a towel should have made it clear Chamberlain has no business being a wing back...... no way he should be one over Bellerin who actually has the skillset to play well there.
Ouch. We should have pulled the cover in better as Sp**s essentially double teamed him for most of the match. That said he has done well, if not excellent, in every other game.

It'll be interesting to see where we go next. I'd like to see Hector at Lwb and Ox at Rwb next season. Just to see how it goes.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Ouch. We should have pulled the cover in better as Sp**s essentially double teamed him for most of the match. That said he has done well, if not excellent, in every other game.

It'll be interesting to see where we go next. I'd like to see Hector at Lwb and Ox at Rwb next season. Just to see how it goes.
Isn't Hector a bit one footed for that role.

skip spence

Isn't Hector a bit one footed for that role.
Yeah. If both of them should play wing back it has to be Ox on the left. And frankly, although Ox has a good left foot, I doubt even he can be very effective as a LWB. A right-footed wing forward can work well on the left attacking the box but the role of a wing back is to provide width and as such it is imperative that he is a natural crossing with the left foot.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah. If both of them should play wing back it has to be Ox on the left. And frankly, although Ox has a good left foot, I doubt even he can be very effective as a LWB. A right-footed wing forward can work well on the left attacking the box but the role of a wing back is to provide width and as such it is imperative that he is a natural crossing with the left foot.
It might actually force the Ox to use his left more. Which in turn could make him a better player. Problem is he may need a fuill season in an unnatural position to achieve that. Can't have risks like that

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I certainly think there is merit in trying it. Teams play a lot with inverted wingers so by having a right footed left wing back the inverted winger will be dribbling onto the defenders stronger foot rather than weak foot.

Also you have to consider how we play these guys while keeping everyone happy. The Ox has been a revelation in the Rwb role and Bellerin has basically cemented the Rb role. One of those two guys are gonna be unhappy, either Bellerin with significantly reduced game time or the Ox who has finally found himself playing having his game time cut.

Nevilles comments last night after the Chelsea game ring true. Their starting Xi picked itself and now Conte is in a position where he has to strengthen again. Do you bring players in to go straight into the Xi and risk upsetting the apple cart or do you bring in stronger back up players? We don't know our Xi and have two very good players going for the same position. How will that impact the harmony of the squad. Simple solution try one of them in the opposite full back position. Azpilicueta made the transition well to playing on the wrong side, Dennis Irwin was arguably as strong at both full back positions, Philip Lahm as well. We won't know until we try it.

I guess that's what preseason is for.

Ewarwoowar

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain channels Dani Alves spirit as Arsenal prepare for FA Cup final
Last Updated: 26/05/17 6:32am

skysports-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-arsenal_3933496.jpg

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is available for Arsenal's FA Cup final against Chelsea
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain hopes to channel the spirit of Dani Alves if he makes Arsenal's FA Cup final side on Saturday.

The England international is fit to take on Chelsea, but his recent three-match injury absence allowed Hector Bellerin a route back into the team at right wing-back.

Oxlade-Chamberlain shone in the position before straining his hamstring, winning man-of-the-match in the Wembley semi-final against Manchester City, but could now miss out on selection for a third final in four years.

Injury kept him out in 2014, while he was a late substitute 12 months later, and he said: "It's a bit of a trend. When [the injury] happened I thought, 'Oh no, here we go again'."

In the meantime the 23-year-old, who is approaching the final season of his contract, has been studying the likes of Juventus' Brazilian Alves to brush up on his knowledge of a defensive role which is still unfamiliar.

PE3O6Z9ojHeNSk7H4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

Danny Welbeck thinks Arsenal can make up for a disappointing Premier League season by beating Chelsea in Saturday's FA Cup final
He said: "When I've watched teams that play with five at the back and wing-backs, I've looked at their starting positions and positions out of possession because that comes a little bit more unnaturally to me.

"I take note of anyone when they play. Tottenham play with that formation, Chelsea play with that formation. There's a lot of teams who have played with that formation, so I watch all the full-backs, the left-back, the right-back.

"When I've watched Dani Alves recently, he might not play the five at the back, but the way he plays, he marches on and he adds a lot in an attacking sense as well as defensively. Players like that, you watch and you learn from them."

dani-alves-juventus-monaco-champions-league_3949420.jpg

Dani Alves' threat from right-back is an inspiration for Oxlade-Chamberlain
Saturday's game represents a chance for Arsenal to finish the season positively after missing out on Champions League qualification for the first time since 1998.

"There will obviously be that feeling of wanting to finish higher up the league," Oxlade-Chamberlain said. "There's no doubting that and we can't hide from it. We need to own up to that.

"But it's a big trophy, one that we want to win and it will definitely boost morale going into next season."

promo319901681

Arsenal's Per Mertesacker is looking forward to potentially featuring in Saturday's FA Cup as injuries and suspensions mount up at the club
The game could yet be the last of Arsène Wenger's 21-year reign, with his future up for discussion at a board meeting next week, and Oxlade-Chamberlain said: "He has been a massive influence on my career.

"He took me from League One into a massive club in the Premier League and Champions League. That changed my career and my future, ultimately.

"We all respect our manager massively and we want to give him the win just as much as we want to give the fans the win. That's the most important thing. It is Arsenal Football Club. Everyone here wants to win."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...es-spirit-as-arsenal-prepare-for-fa-cup-final

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Be interesting to see if he starts now Hector has found a little form & the likes of Hazard to defend against. Rather see both start on the right side with a back four.

karl

I really like Ox this season, because he was the one player that takes on a fullback and creates uncertainty. The rest of our team seem to pass from side to side in hope of an opening. Of course, that works eventually, but makes the team one-dimensional.

However, I am not so keen to see him if he plans to leave this summer. There is not enough between him and Hector to worry about, so go with the player likely to still be here next season.

Karlos14478

Catch 22 really you give him the new contract and he'll still be one of those players that gets injured to regular. But his ability to cross in recent weeks and work rate have helped a lot unlike bellerin who still needs to learn to cross and be stronger. Would be nice if someone from the scouting team could find the new Dani Alves :eek:ops:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His value is unlikely to drop, I'd give him a new contract even if next season is the his final chance.

I'm sure they'd be plenty of teams that would be willing to pay at least 20M for him.

The FBI

Was very excited for Ox as he was breaking through. He destroyed Milan. But that was a long time ago and if he left, would he go to City? Sp**s? United? Liverpool? If not, he's not good enough for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom