<

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by American_Gooner, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Oh, yeah, so what were our finishes then, lol?

2. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member Trusted

You can't blame our finishes on the fans, I'm sorry its just never going to work, there were just so many factors.

3. Makingtrax

So what's your point, it was just coincidence that Arsène dropped out of the top four after 20 years of consistency when the protests, rants, planes and boycotts started? Or is your point that Wenger should have been able to work through that without any decline?

4. Macho

Poor recruitment
    Lack of financial fair play for a period where we fell behind
    Repeated mistakes
    Old age
    There is more but spoilers from his autobiography which he admits himself.

Yes fans and media played a part for sure, but like come on bro lol. Our fans are d*ckheads but it wasn't just them that had him walk away after 22 years.

5. Makavelii

Makavelii Well-Known Member

Enjoying the book a lot so far (on chapter 4). Really interesting to get a view into his mind.
    Amazing to hear how hard he took defeat. Was super hard on himself.

SomGooner and kash2 like this.
  6. Macho

And is obsessed with the grass on the pitch being correct lol

I do miss him tbh, keep telling myself he will be back but months turns to years.

Makavelii likes this.
  7. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Protests, rants, planes and boycotts started because of us dropping out of the top 4, and looking like utter **** on the pitch in Wenger's last 2 seasons. Nothing about our football during those times inspire confidence that we are heading towards the right direction, and Wenger can blame no one but himself for it.

Godwin1 and Jury like this.
  8. Makingtrax

The concerted campaign to finish off Wenger started early in 16/17 long before we actually finished 5th by 1 point. Entitled fans were p!ssed that the mighty Arsenal hadn't won the league and were stuck with boring top 4. Fans, including AFTV and posters on AM were frothing at the mouth for coming 2nd.

Strangely those same fans have been quite calm at coming 8th.

kash2 likes this.
  9. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

10. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

looks delighted to meet the clown his players & ivan were leaking **** to :lol:

[​IMG]

celestis, Rex Banter, Riou and 10 others like this.
  11. Ibadan

Ibadan Gagan Jr

top tier trolling, my respects.

Riou, Trilly, say yes and 1 other person like this.
  12. Macho

Came in just to say this tbh - Ornstein is a clown.

This promo run Wenger on is legendary though. Wonder where he will show up next.

DanDare and Garrincha like this.
  13. Get These Hands

Get These Hands Off of my purse !

Reading the book, you can see why Wenger has this romanticised view of football: Growing up in a small village where the football team was the heart of the community.

He showed total devotion to his mentor Max Hild and expected that kind of old-school loyalty from his players, which sadly he seldom received.

SomGooner and Macho like this.
  14. Macho

I made sure to blaze through it cause there are a ton of spoilers in the Arsenal related media I consume habitually.

Will let it breathe for a couple weeks before I start openly airing my views but goes without saying essential reading for any Arsenal fan. For me it’s what he doesn’t say or barely touches on that says a lot actually. His passion for football is really driven home in this.

SA Gunner, celestis and SomGooner like this.
  15. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

What is wrong with you? Why can't you accept that a manager simply declined and his methods became far too old school in modern eras.

Honestly baffles me that you support us getting bullied away from home so much in big games over the years. Poor tactics and poor purchases along with being incredibly stubborn led to a downward trend in form.

16. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

how does a declining manager rejig formation and tonk Chelsea led by Conte, while having Mertesacker and Holding at CB? Bear in mind this was a cup final less than a year before he resigned.
    Must have been a rather rapid decline. Even today Xhaka, Holding, Elneny have been shown to be better options than the genius buys of the next management.

Makingtrax likes this.
  17. Makingtrax

Those were the facts bro. Simple as.

kash2 likes this.
  18. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

this should be good...

19. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Fancy asking him about ‘nasty chants’, particularly the awful peedo stuff...

‘So, er... you must remember when opposing fans would call you a peedo, Arsène... that’s pretty nasty... How did it make you feel?’.

What could you possibly hope to drag out of him? :lol:

SomGooner and bingobob like this.
  20. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character Trusted

I really want Samuel L Jackson and Arsène to be on Graham Nortons sofa tomorrow. Corona virus ruining the vibe.

SomGooner likes this.