• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
If you don’t rate Santi then you don’t understand football, the guy is ambidextrous to perfection, can dribble, has quick feet and knows how to control games - We missed him badly last two seasons...

yes I agree, but as a CM he lacks certain things to truly be a great

I am saying he is overrated, not bad

as a CM playing with 2 brutes he would be stellar, he was alright with just Coq

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Özil, Wilshere, Ramsey and Mkhi. That is some serious creativity in our midfield department. How do we incorporate all this creative talent into the starting eleven without losing our defensive capabilities?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

At this moment without Auba.

Lacazette
Mkhitaryan Özil
Wilshere Xhaka Ramsey
Monreal Mustafi Koscielny Bellerin
Cech
This is probably our best eleven, Auba gives us a bit of a headache should he come in, but a good one. Whatever the formation is on paper won't be the same as on the pitch in an attacking sense.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Lacazette
Mkhitaryan Özil
Wilshere Xhaka Ramsey
Cech
This is probably our best eleven, Auba gives us a bit of a headache should he come in, but a good one. Whatever the formation is on paper won't be the same as on the pitch in an attacking sense.

Damn right it wont!

We can play free flowing attacking footy again. We don't have a chilean cut inside merchant, who slows our play up looking for a stupid ball over the top that blatantly isn't on.

We have more creativity but less goals. If we get Auba in, we'll have a monstrous attack.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Lacazette
Mkhitaryan Özil
Wilshere Xhaka Ramsey
Cech
Bench is weak af though, even with Aubameyang.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Cech
Bellerin Kosh Mustafi Kolasinac/Monreal
Xhaka
Mkhi Wilshere
Özil
Lacazzete Auba

that my preferred line up if auba did join it could be too attacking and lack width but we'll be enjoyable to watch.

MATHEO

Formation.jpg

Above is the average positions against Crystal Palace in the first half

It looks like a diamond + a winger formation for me, It looks exciting because we have kept our numbers in the middle of the pitch, yet we have width provided by Bellerin on the right, Iwobi & Monreal interchanging on the left.

I've always liked the idea of having 4 players in the middle, because most teams defend with 3 players in that area which means that we can always find spaces between the lines. I think this tactical move is motivated by the idea of incorporating both Jack & Ramsey, with Xhaka anchoring them, his proper position.

Advantages gained is that we have proper protection in front of the defense, an extra attacker compared to a back three, and our defensive shape is more compact, distributes the weight of pressing and forces the opposition into pressing traps.

Its early to make conclusions about what we've seen, but signs are encouraging and its refreshing to see change of tactics and new balances in the team

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH

Lacazette
Mkhitaryan Özil
Wilshere Xhaka Ramsey
Cech

I like that lineup. However, Jack, Granit and Ramsey would have to remain very disciplined defensively so as not to leave our defenders exposed.

Re: Auba. Honestly, I don’t want him. I would take Mahrez over Auba in a heartbeat. We already have 2/3 strikers (Laca, Giroud and Welbeck). Getting Mahrez would solve the winger dilemma. Plus Mahrez likes Arsenal and isn’t carrying disciplinary baggage like Auba is. One more point, Mahrez won't Cup tied unlike Auba.

TheArsenalis

i like the 3 midfield set up. and there are many different applicable combination.
Özil, Wilshere, Ramsey and Mkhi. That is some serious creativity in our midfield department. How do we incorporate all this creative talent into the starting eleven without losing our defensive capabilities?
**** to play them all though. we need one on the bench.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I like that lineup. However, Jack, Granit and Ramsey would have to remain very disciplined defensively so as not to leave our defenders exposed.

Re: Auba. Honestly, I don’t want him. I would take Mahrez over Auba in a heartbeat. We already have 2/3 strikers (Laca, Giroud and Welbeck). Getting Mahrez would solve the winger dilemma. Plus Mahrez likes Arsenal and isn’t carrying disciplinary baggage like Auba is. One more point, Mahrez won't Cup tied unlike Auba.
I'm a bit undecided about Auba too. Two years ago I'd have been delighted. Mahrez will give us width,goals and assists. Theoretically,he replaces Alexis' contribution.

arsmile

Established Member

Lacazette
Mkhitaryan Özil
Wilshere Xhaka Ramsey
Cech

i think this is definitely the formation

I think if we sign PEA he probably just comes in as a straight swap for laccazette- with PEA being able to fill in the mikhi or Mesut positions if need be so that laccazette can come in instead of that iwobi/Welbeck dross. We also only have elneny at CM cover in 3 positions- so can even see Özil dropping deeper to be honest if wilshere/ramsey ever aren't both fit (as if!!)

Aevi

Hale End FC
I really liked how we mirrored City's 4-1-4-1 against Crystal Palace, hopefully we continue with it. Combining new signings and the return of the injured Ramsey, this is the strongest version of that formation I think we can field:

Aubameyang
Mkhi ---------------- Özil
Wilshere - Ramsey
Xhaka
Monreal - Kosc - Mustafi - Bellerin
Cech
This looks like the best squad for Wengerball I've seen in a while :drool:

Let's give it a run, I'm just not sure if it'll work with slower wingers.

EDIT: Pretty much the same as what @Tir Na Nog said earlier... though I made it prettier tbh ;)

Aevi

Hale End FC
I worry Xhaka lacks the mobility to play dlp. Starting to worry that he is going to be a bust.
This formation dominates possession (so less defending to do) and gives him the support of an extra midfielder, so I think it shouldn't be too big of a worry.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom