• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

BobP

Memri Fan
I really liked how we mirrored City's 4-1-4-1 against Crystal Palace, hopefully we continue with it. Combining new signings and the return of the injured Ramsey, this is the strongest version of that formation I think we can field:

Aubameyang
Mkhi ---------------- Özil
Wilshere - Ramsey
Xhaka
Monreal - Kosc - Mustafi - Bellerin
Cech
This looks like the best squad for Wengerball I've seen in a while :drool:

EDIT: Pretty much the same as what @Tir Na Nog said earlier... though I made it prettier tbh ;)

Laca is an interesting weapon here I think.

He's a very well rounded footballer who has done well to integrate himself, despite the external difficulties. He's perfectly capable of playing in any of the front 3 positions. He can serve as an exceptional foil to Aubameyang.

I'd also look to add a more defensively capable midfielder during the summer.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
The issue I have is how we integrate both Auba and Laca, while keeping Miki, Özil and Wilshere in the side.

We need to sacrifice one of Xhaka/Ramsey and put a pure ball playing DM instead. I'd take a chance with AMN.

-----------------Lacazette
Miki-------------Özil---------------Auba
-------------Wilshere
-------------------AMN
Kola------Mustafi----Koscielny----Bellerin
------------------Cech.

Both 4231 and 433 with Wilshere adjusting accordingly. Positional discipline and remaining compact overall is key here.

What do you guys think?

Longy

Only 2 out of Wilshere, Xhaka and Ramsey can play.
Given our attacking options here and coming we need our central players moving the ball and moving it quick.

Wilshere is perfect.
Xhaka is good but can get ball going and recycle
Ramsey is Captain Chaos with kamikaze runs, does not fit in midfield.

-----------Cech----------
Bell---Kos---must---nach
--------Xhaka-Jack------
Mikh------Özil-------pea
--------Lacazette---------

Ospina
Chambers, holding, Greeky, kolasinac, Per
Elneny, AMN
Ramsey, Iwobi, Neilson
Giroud, Wellbeck

Need a Coquelin replacement
Need to upgrade wellbeck
Need a bfg replacement

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
The issue I have is how we integrate both Auba and Laca, while keeping Miki, Özil and Wilshere in the side.

We need to sacrifice one of Xhaka/Ramsey and put a pure ball playing DM instead. I'd take a chance with AMN.

-------------Wilshere
-------------------AMN
------------------Cech.

Both 4231 and 433 with Wilshere adjusting accordingly. Positional discipline and remaining compact overall is key here.

What do you guys think?

Mkith is starting from scratch, he does not deserve a starting spot straight away

both Jack and Ramsey has had pretty decent runs this season

And AMN over Xhaka? get real ffs

We lost ATLEAST 10 goals possible 15 with Alexis gone
0-10 goals with Theo

Mkith will not replace them just like that and should not be seen as a straight replacement

I would line up

---------------Auba------Laca---------------
----------------------Özil------------------------
--------Jack------Xhaka----Ramsey----------
--------------------Cech.-----------------------

Mkith covers Özil, Jack, Ramsey
Heck if Laca/Auba is out push Özil up and in with Mkith

TheArsenalis

i cant put these new players in the starting 11 yet. ai t seen them in an arsenal shirt. to know how they tick. its all in wengers hands, mhkitarian is confirmed where will he play? propably left back knowing wenger. lol
the striker is gonna hard to fit without a formation change.

thinking

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Cech
Bellerin Mustafi Koscielny Kolasinac
Xhaka Wilshere
Özil ——————- Mkhi
Auba Lacaz
Against poorer teams and home games.

Cech
Chambers Mustafi Koscielny
Bellerin Mkhitaryan Xhaka Wilshere Kolasinac
Özil Aubameyang​

Away from home and against strong attacking teams.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'd like to see us play with two strikers and four midfielders, three of whom are creators and one a DM. It could be in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3.

A good DM is all we need to get the right balance, other than that we should have all the necessary attacking ingredients. No direct wingers of course, and I'd like to have one of them, but it doesn't look like we're heading down that route.

Maybe, maaaaaybe we can get away with Xhaka/Elneny/AMN as DMs till the summer. We'll see, but i'm not confident.

Imperative that we sort out the defence from now till the start of next season. We simply cannot go into yet another season so chaotic and unsettled at the back. That starts with having a good DM, but a solid CB and GK too.

Despite our lack of attacking fluency at times this season, only City and Liverpool have scored significantly more than us. These new additions should be great and make us even better in attack, but let's be clear: defence has been the problem and continues to be the problem.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
It probably won't happen, but (assuming Aubameyang gets over the line) I'd like to see Arsenal go to a 4-4-2 diamond.

-----------------PEA------------------Lacazette-------

------------------------Mkhitaryan--------------------

-----------Özil----------------------------Wilshere----

--------------------------Xhaka-------------------------

Kolasinac-----Koscielny-----Mustafi------Bellerin

-------------------------Cech---------------------------

It's a very flexible formation and the movement should suit Arsenal well. Özil thrived in this system under Thomas Schaaf at Werder Bremen. Lacazette was Player of the Year in Ligue 1 playing in the 4-4-2 diamond alongside N'Jie with Fekir in behind. Aubameyang's speed would be a natural asset. Playmakers such as Özil, Micki and Jack could create tons of opportunities.

nick gould

I felt that we were lucky not to get punished in the first. We were clueless on who to pick. The most worrying thing though is how easy our central defenders get dragged out of position. Someone has to tell Kos that his job description is to make sure no one has a free run at his goal keeper. The danger zone is the 18 area and the central areas in general. He should be dragging Bellerin into position instead of following him and gallavanting into offensive position.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Last night makes me question why sometimes we seem to have a real tactical plan and specific roles and other tones we just don’t.

Do the players forget? Do we need a CM and CB who can command and ensure the tactical plan is adhered to?

IslingtonBornandbred

Last night makes me question why sometimes we seem to have a real tactical plan and specific roles and other tones we just don’t.

Do the players forget? Do we need a CM and CB who can command and ensure the tactical plan is adhered to?

I've got a opinion based theory. When it's a "big game" or against a "big team" or it's a game where it's in the balance or we are perceived as the underdogs, more focus and effort is put into the tactical plan and the players are more switched on.

When it's a game that we are expected to win, or the player's feel they are playing against poorer opposition, they seem switched off or not as "on it", like a "just go out and play lads, you're better" mentality. It's really quite odd though because if were playing at the weekend, we could quite easily witness a game where the defence is a shambles, and the off the ball stuff is comical which is actually quite odd considering they've shown they are capable of doing it.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

-------------Wilshere
-------------------AMN
------------------Cech.

What do you guys think?
You are right man, those are our most important assets. However, we are also sacrificing one of nacho or sead.

If we go 3 atb, then putting mikhi and wilshere on seems risky unless you have akante

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Ospina
Hector Mustafi Kos Nacho/Sead
———Xhaka———
Wilshere—Ramsey
———Özil———
Giroud Lacazette

That would be my starting lineup against Man City in the Carabao Cup final.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Ospina
Hector Mustafi Kos Nacho/Sead
———Xhaka———
Wilshere—Ramsey
———Özil———
Giroud Lacazette

That would be my starting lineup against Man City in the Carabao Cup final.

Myour starting lineup in the CArling Cup final vs best team in England would be a formation we’ve never played before?

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I've got a opinion based theory. When it's a "big game" or against a "big team" or it's a game where it's in the balance or we are perceived as the underdogs, more focus and effort is put into the tactical plan and the players are more switched on.

When it's a game that we are expected to win, or the player's feel they are playing against poorer opposition, they seem switched off or not as "on it", like a "just go out and play lads, you're better" mentality. It's really quite odd though because if were playing at the weekend, we could quite easily witness a game where the defence is a shambles, and the off the ball stuff is comical which is actually quite odd considering they've shown they are capable of doing it.

Spot on for me with this. Is sooo frustrating to watch when we get mugged by some minor team but great when it pays off against Chelsea and Sp**s for example which seems to be the norm recently. Wish whoever IS in charge tactically could take note and see what is happening as we'd be contenders for big trophies if they played every game in a plan based way I reckon, even with the players we have. The team is capable its just not being directed well enough and consistently in a structured way. Bloody marvelous when they get their sh*t together though, amazing as a cup team. Message should be "treat every game as a cup game"!!! (forgetting forest in that)

Brown Gooner

Myour starting lineup in the CArling Cup final vs best team in England would be a formation we’ve never played before?
We have quite a few games between then and now to try that version of 442.

If not that then I would go with a back three:
Kos Mustafi Nacho
Hector Xhaka Jack Sead
Özil Ramsey
Lacazette

Or a 4123:
Hector Mustafi Kos Nacho
Elneny
Jack Xhaka
Özil Lacazette Welbeck/Ramsey

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
We have quite a few games between then and now to try that version of 442.

If not that then I would go with a back three:
Kos Mustafi Nacho
Hector Xhaka Jack Sead
Özil Ramsey
Lacazette

Or a 4123:
Hector Mustafi Kos Nacho
Elneny
Jack Xhaka
Özil Lacazette Welbeck/Ramsey

think clearly we are best with a back four and proper holding midfielder.
cech
hector mustafi kos monreal
maitlandniles/elneny
jack ramsey
Özil /mickey
laca (as things stand)

Would go with two up front if we get auba and stick one of Özil /mickey in with wilshere then. Not sure about elneny personally maybe he gets played out of position but has seemed very poor at times. Would like to see the energy of Maitland Niles at DM. Think hes done enough to get a chance there in the first team.

Brown Gooner

think clearly we are best with a back four and proper holding midfielder.
cech
hector mustafi kos monreal
maitlandniles/elneny
jack ramsey
Özil /mickey
laca (as things stand)

Would go with two up front if we get auba and stick one of Özil /mickey in with wilshere then. Not sure about elneny personally maybe he gets played out of position but has seemed very poor at times. Would like to see the energy of Maitland Niles at DM. Think hes done enough to get a chance there in the first team.
I was specifically talking about the final against Citeh. Mkhi is cup tied and Ospina is the cup goalkeeper.

I would personally give the tree formation a try.

———Lacazette———
——Özil———Mkhi——
—Ramsey—Xhaka—Jack
LB—Kos—Mustafi—RB
—————GK—————

LB= Nacho or Sead
RB= Hector or Debuchy
GK= Cech or Ospina

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I suspect that Wenger will shift towards continuing this 4-3-3 from now on but with Mkhi taking Iwobi's place. However if Arsenal can get Aubameyang over the line I think Wenger will simply employ the strategy of 'play the best players'.

I imagine we would see Aubameyang, Lacazette, Mkhitaryan, Özil + two out of Wilshere, Ramsey, Xhaka & Elneny. What formation/shape that would take would probably not be of huge significance as many players would interchange positions - a bit like a poor man's Brazil 1970 maybe - and Wenger would trust the quality of those players to make the difference. It could be a 4-3-3, 4-2-4 or 4-2-2-2 etc. It probably wouldn't matter that much.

We know already that Wenger is not strictly governed by shape in the same way that Conte is, for example. I think this particular set of players will allow Wenger to delve even further into shapelessness and interchangeability. I don't know what the results will be and I doubt we'll concede fewer goals, but I predict it'll be fun to watch.

I suppose the only shame is that it will happen midway through the season. But hopefully we'll stick to it and carry it through to next season.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom