• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I am not sure about that. I remember Walcott being quite a star at Southampton, but perhaps that's not saying much!

But this again calls into question Wenger's eye for potential - missing out on such as Kante and Mahrez, and instead signing players with little technical ability. And as he has made it quite clear that he is, and will be, in total control of all footballing matters at Arsenal, he cannot blame it all on the scouts.
Quite a star? He was a kid and hardly played. I saw his Southampton clips and he was a total joke.

Of course he has had his fair share of mistakes and I'm highly critical of the fact. Specially in terms assessing the mental make up and personality of players he has had made many mistakes no doubt. And like I said you have to take into account the actual potential of a player.

If I list you the number of players Wenger has developed and found you wouldn't dare say that.

notafan

This isn't FIFA kid. You don't just hit the X button five times and voila, new signing. The player has to ACTUALLY want to play there....

Mahrez, is that the guy who had a one season wonder for some small club and nobody heard a peep out of all season? Yeah, great addition that would have been.
Good point. I probably quoted bad examples. Yet I gather that Mahrez is being reported as one of Wenger's present targets, although that might just be tabloid nonsense.

And thanks for calling me "kid". I'm 71 y.o. And started watching football in the '60s! But it's nice to be considered young when you're my age.

BTW, congratulations on getting one of your posts quoted in a national daily.

notafan

Quite a star? He was a kid and hardly played. I saw his Southampton clips and he was a total joke.

Of course he has had his fair share of mistakes and I'm highly critical of the fact. Specially in terms assessing the mental make up and personality of players he has had made many mistakes no doubt. And like I said you have to take into account the actual potential of a player.

If I list you the number of players Wenger has developed and found you wouldn't dare say that.
I bow to your superior knowledge. My memories of Walcott at Soton aren't quite as negative, but you probably know better.

But the bit I've highlighted in your reply is what bothered me, and since you've said it, it still bothers me.

However we all make mistakes, so I'll take your word that Wenger's successes in the transfer market, and in player development, outweigh his mistakes.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I agree we had injuries but we had Koscielny in the stand and could have paid the money much earlier to get Mustafi in.

The patterns are certainly the same. Not prepared for the beginning of the season players given extended holidays, signings not made early enough or no signings made at all.

Wonder what will come out later. As a betting man I'd say it was the Alexis bust up and the hostility between him Özil and Giroud or in generals deep divisions within the squad.
Whatever his deluded mind conjures up to absolve himself of any and all blame. You can't trust a narcissist's account of anything because it will always exclude the part of the truth that makes them culpable for things gone awry.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Blaming the toxic atmosphere in stadium for the losses? The atmosphere was toxic because the team was losing. Not the other way around.
Mind you, if it were not for the strong protests, Wenger would not even have tried a tactical change. He would have sat on his stubborn a** trying the same thing, but expecting different results. Remember him telling sometime in the middle of the season that the CL money is not important anymore as it is compensated by tv money and sponsorship. He wouldn't have given a damn about the losses, if the fans hadn't turned hostile and his deal was in line.
It's like pouring pepper on a buffalo's b*lls, getting kicked by it and complaining about the buffalo for turning hostile. You started it, you idiot.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Formations are just a structural framework highly dependent on the players, tactics and the opposition. You can't prove this formation is better than that on its own, yes.

That said variations of 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 diamond are the most successful. Its easy to fit in most profile of players and dominate the ball. I say variations since Johan Cruff is popular for 4-3-3 but he interpreted as being a diamond. The 3-3 could be viewed as an expanded diamond.

Remember opening the "Tactics Talk" thread with my analysis that diamond in three stages is the way to go in term of formation. But of course nobody gave a **** apart from Lancelot who I miss dearly.
No change there. Most people are on here to vent rather discuss football as a subject worthy of study in its own right.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Nothing more valuable than the opinion of the man who handpicked David Moyes as his successor.
You can't put a piece of aluminium foil between Moyes, LVG and Mourinho in terms of outcome measured against financial input. All finished on a similar number of points and a similar position in the league.

Moyes was sacked, the others weren't. He was no worse.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
And how many of our players could you say have actually improved this season compared to last?

• Walcott with 19 goals across all comps. Had only 9 the season before.
  • Mesut Özil has improved on his goals scored. Got 8 last season across all comps and has 12 this season.
  • Ox has improved massively as a player this season compared to last season.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
You can't put a piece of aluminium foil between Moyes, LVG and Mourinho in terms of outcome measured against financial input. All finished on a similar number of points and a similar position in the league.

Moyes was sacked, the others weren't. He was no worse.
But it isn't just about where you finish man. Don't you get it? Fans want to see exciting football. That is why we love the sport. I hate Mou as much as anyone else but his football (although still utterly boring) was, certainly to me, much more exciting than either Moyes or LVG. With Wenger we could deal, for years, with the fact that we were not winning because we played a brand of football the whole fricken world respected. That is now gone. Our football sucks and it is boring. Not Mourinho boring. But boring!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
  • Walcott with 19 goals across all comps. Had only 9 the season before.
  • Mesut Özil has improved on his goals scored. Got 8 last season across all comps and has 12 this season.
  • Ox has improved massively as a player this season compared to last season.
That wasn;t the question and you know it!

RoadrunnerReloaded

But it isn't just about where you finish man. Don't you get it? Fans want to see exciting football. That is why we love the sport. I hate Mou as much as anyone else but his football (although still utterly boring) was, certainly to me, much more exciting than either Moyes or LVG.

Is Mou's football really more exciting than Moyes or LVG or is it simply that Ibra, Mkhi, and Pogba are more exciting than an aged Rooney and Fellaini?

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Blaming the toxic atmosphere in stadium for the losses? The atmosphere was toxic because the team was losing. Not the other way around.
Mind you, if it were not for the strong protests, Wenger would not even have tried a tactical change. He would have sat on his stubborn a** trying the same thing, but expecting different results. Remember him telling sometime in the middle of the season that the CL money is not important anymore as it is compensated by tv money and sponsorship. He wouldn't have given a damn about the losses, if the fans hadn't turned hostile and his deal was in line.
It's like pouring pepper on a buffalo's b*lls, getting kicked by it and complaining about the buffalo for turning hostile. You started it, you idiot.
I disagree. The fans have as much blame to take as the board along with Wenger and the team. The infighting was embarassing along with the planes, banners, protests. Our club became a laughing stock across the country. If you are going to go to the game then at least give your all during the game by singing and supporting the players ESPECIALLY when things are bad. Yes, the performances were frustrating at times, but we could have done better as a fan base to get behind the team when our backs were against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom