• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carw2005

Its good he's staying, hes the LB out there and we havnt got the players or the time to replace him.

Did i read this thread rite or did someone compare Flamini's LB skills in the same breath as Cole's??????

Im not worried about Coles presence havin a bad effect either as surely itll give the back line confidence knowing they have a recognised World class player on the left and not a youngster like hoyte!

Grampus_Eight

What is your idea of staying? Until January when his value drops because he's that much closer to having his contract expire and is cup tied in the cl? Or until next summer when he leaves for Madrid or Chelsea for significantly less money as he enters the last year of his contract?

Unless he signs a four year deal with no get out clause or one upwards of £30m, holds a joint press conference with David Dein, fires his agent Jonathan Barnett and apologizes to the supporters without any reservations he must leave.

Even then I will boo his every touch for a while...

Here's the latest...

ARSENAL vice-chairman David Dein turned down a staggering £21million offer from Chelsea for Ashley Cole - and now looks set to pay a heavy price as the deal is on the brink of collapse.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... _page.html

Chelsea's pursuit of Arsenal defender Ashely Cole is over as the Gunners want £20m for the England left-back. (Daily Telegraph)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... nar230.xml

Gooner83

If the £21m is true Dein is a ****!

we would be lucky to get £10m for him in January... either theres something going on behind the scenes like Cole making up with Wenger but it would not be good business to sell him after the window.

Grampus_Eight

Grampus_Eight said:
What is your idea of staying? Until January when his value drops because he's that much closer to having his contract expire and is cup tied in the cl? Or until next summer when he leaves for Madrid or Chelsea for significantly less money as he enters the last year of his contract?

Unless he signs a four year deal with no get out clause or one upwards of £30m, holds a joint press conference with David Dein, fires his agent Jonathan Barnett and apologizes to the supporters without any reservations he must leave.

Even then I will boo his every touch for a while...

Here's the latest...

ARSENAL vice-chairman David Dein turned down a staggering £21million offer from Chelsea for Ashley Cole - and now looks set to pay a heavy price as the deal is on the brink of collapse.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... _page.html

Chelsea's pursuit of Arsenal defender Ashely Cole is over as the Gunners want £20m for the England left-back. (Daily Telegraph)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... nar230.xml

By the way, the Times has a good article on this mess even if it's perhaps not as up to date.

It councludes with the following observation:

"Chelsea believe that Roman Abramovich, their billionaire Russian owner, could yet break the impasse by offering the full £20 million. He can afford it, after all. And at midnight tomorrow, even if they have failed to land their man, they might afford themselves a wry chuckle.

Arsenal, one of Chelsea’s main title rivals, will have an unhappy player who cannot leave for at least four months until the transfer window reopens. And unhappy players spell unhappy dressing-rooms."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 33,00.html

Almost every which way Chelsea win, especially with Gallas apparently off the table as they can afford to possibily let him rot in their reserves since they brought in the Cannibal or can come to an arrangement with him after the transfer window closes.

Grampus_Eight

Gooner83 said:

we would be lucky to get £10m for him in January... either theres something going on behind the scenes like Cole making up with Wenger but it would not be good business to sell him after the window.

If this story is true David Dein is making a very bad sporting and business decision for the club. Unless Cole apologizes, signs a 4 year extension, pulls his book, fires Barnett, holds a joint press conference with Dein, and apologizes unconditionally to the fans, it would be crazy not to accept £21m for him even if we were holding out for £25m.

I can only imagine this story isn't accurate or that Dein has a back-up deal in place with Madrid - perhaps Baptista plus £3m for Cashley.

The £30m number that we reportedly wanted at one point is ridiculous. Chelsea have never paid that much for a player and as good as Cole is and even though he plays for Chelsea's closest rival he isn't worth more than what Becks and Ronaldinho costs a few years ago.

Then again, maybe Dein knows that the architect of Chelsea's new transfer policy is the man at the top...and Roman will pay £25 if he really wants the player.

However, I doubt Roman does, his son's favorite player is the garden gnome Roberto Carlos not Cashley.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The fact that the newspapers quote different figures - what does that tell you ? No one really knows. So I don't see why people find it nesscessary to fling mud at DD. The facts are that he is a canny businessman and he will get the best deal possible.

As for how long Cole is staying , since we are using every rag for reference , Cole is apparently willing to stay another year according to the people newspaper .. I don't worry that he will perform because he has good relations with Wenger and the players.

cc

Gooner83 said:

21M for AC and 14.5M for JAR, both are nice price, but AC's case a bit different as he would go for our derby opponent

Grampus_Eight

celestis said:
The fact that the newspapers quote different figures - what does that tell you ? No one really knows. So I don't see why people find it nesscessary to fling mud at DD. The facts are that he is a canny businessman and he will get the best deal possible.

As for how long Cole is staying , since we are using every rag for reference , Cole is apparently willing to stay another year according to the people newspaper .. I don't worry that he will perform because he has good relations with Wenger and the players.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for DD. He is a genius and after Wenger is the best thing to happen to Arsenal in our modern history and he is responsible for getting the Boss here too. His business skills are incredible, he has become very wealthy from the rather modest investment he made in the club a couple of decades ago and helped turn the club and even the league into a juggernaut. So he certainly isn't a ****, but we have to remember that this mess started over the issue of 5k/wk. This whole mess is all Cashley's fault and he is the one in the wrong and a legendary dipsh*t, not to mention a traitor, but in retrospect DD holding up a new deal over 5k/wk was not a good business decision to say the very least.

Just like not selling him to Chelsea for £21m would be a bad business decision if it's as high as Chelsea will go and Madrid and Barcelona aren't interested in paying anything close to that number.

Cole is not staying for more than a year at the maximum and will not sign another extensio, even a short term one, so he will be worth £7-8m at most entering the final year of his contract next summer.

So unless Cashley signs long term extension of at least 4 four years (one without a get out clause or at least for around £30m), holds a joint press conference with David Dein which invloves burying the hatchet, huggs and a maybe even a kiss on the cheek, fires Barnett, and apologizes without reservation to the supporters, we need to sell him in the next two days. Period. End of story.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Grampus_Eight said:
celestis said:

I have nothing but the utmost respect for DD. He is a genius and after Wenger is the best thing to happen to Arsenal in our modern history and he is responsible for getting the Boss here too. His business skills are incredible, he has become very wealthy from the rather modest investment he made in the club a couple of decades ago and helped turn the club and even the league into a juggernaut. So he certainly isn't a ****, but we have to remember that this mess started over the issue of 5k/wk. This whole mess is all Cashley's fault and he is the one in the wrong and a legendary dipsh*t, not to mention a traitor, but in retrospect DD holding up a new deal over 5k/wk was not a good business decision to say the very least.

Just like not selling him to Chelsea for £21m would be a bad business decision if it's as high as Chelsea will go and Madrid and Barcelona aren't interested in paying anything close to that number.

Cole is not staying for more than a year at the maximum and will not sign another extensio, even a short term one, so he will be worth £7-8m at most entering the final year of his contract next summer.

So unless Cashley signs long term extension of at least 4 four years (one without a get out clause or at least for around £30m), holds a joint press conference with David Dein which invloves burying the hatchet, huggs and a maybe even a kiss on the cheek, fires Barnett, and apologizes without reservation to the supporters, we need to sell him in the next two days. Period. End of story.

Lol , we can rule the kiss and make-up bit out . I can tell you know that we are not going to sell him . Next summer to a different Club maybe . We simply don't have time to replace him . Arsène and Cashley must have had discussions as he has not moved for a defender and all indications suggest that he had one in mind . As for all the other transfers, we simply will not buy . The side is a work in progress , Hleb and Rosicky will develop into their roles as Wingman , RVP make or break, Walcott already looks like the most direct player we have. Defence will look good especially with Cashley(I hope that I have not spoken to soon.) Next season we will know where to buy and we will buy big.

Ratinho

Established Member
£5k/week what this is about, is it?

Try checking out the full story, not just the one from the papers. You're right about his need to be sold though.

It's solely Cole's issue, however if we've turned down anything like £20m~ upfront, it's a shambles.

Grampus_Eight

Ratinho said:
£5k/week what this is about, is it?

Try checking out the full story, not just the one from the papers. You're right about his need to be sold though.

It's solely Cole's issue, however if we've turned down anything like £20m~ upfront, it's a shambles.

You'll have to be a lot more specific, I've read the league's report on the breach of the rules by the player and chelsea and it as well as all the papers and the rags indicate that this mess started when Dein refused to include 5k/wk on top of what he was offering Cashley to pay Barnett's fee.

So please, do tell the full story or direct me to where I can find it as I'd like to be in the know on this.

Army of Me

Established Member
Ratinho said:
I'm leaning more towards the let's-not-sell-to-Chelsea-without getting-Gallas-in-return crowd.

It would be a big, big mistake to sell Cole to Chelsea for any amount without getting someone decent in to shape up that defence. A month ago I would've gladly accepted anything for the ****, but now, after I've seen our team in action, we need more than money.

Unfortunately, we need Ashley, and I'm almost ashamed to say it, but we do. We also need Lauren back. Strength, stability and experience is what we need at the back, and with Eboue, Djourou and Hoyte back there we have none of that.

Personally, after those 2 games I can't wait until we can line up with Lauren-Toure-Djourou/Senderos-Cole again.

Ratinho

Established Member
You cleared it up second time round mate, no club in their right mind would pay a player an extra £5k/week for his agent. Hardly Dein's fauklt he did not agree to that.

qs

Established Member
**** Chelsea. If they offered £21m now Im glad we didnt give in.

Theyve probably known all summer they'd pay that much but waited so they could **** us over and leave our defence light for half the season.

If things with Cole were as bad as they are being made out to be Dein wouldnt have turned down the money nor would Cole have been allowed to play for the reserves. You can call it bad business now but Chelsea are still a bit light at the back without Gallas and Del Horno, now Huths leaving and all theyve brought in is Boulahrouz.

They need Cole badly and at this point so do we. If Cole came back into the team and we found our shooting boots we could claw our way back into the title race. Hand Cole to Chelsea without time to spend the money and we cant get back in the race. Simple as that.

Grampus_Eight

Ratinho said:
You cleared it up second time round mate, no club in their right mind would pay a player an extra £5k/week for his agent. Hardly Dein's fauklt he did not agree to that.

Didn't claim it was Dein's fault, but he is the one who didn't give into this demand.

However, it's my understanding that most clubs do pay their player's agents and sometimes the player pays the agent too, depending on the situation.

I agree with Dein on the point of principle, but in retrospect surely paying off Barnett 5k a week for the next few years would have been better than this whole mess.

Anyone, who pays agents and how much they get paid and who is licensed to conduct business with english clubs is among other things what got Dein booted off the board of the FA as he wanted to clean things up and limit agents' power.

One of the things we wanted were sanctions against super-agent Pini Zahavi for his role in the tapping-up affair, but since his license in Israel (I think), the english FA couldn't take unilateral action against him, nor would they given his power and influence. But he's free to operate in england b/c his israeli license allows him to conduct business throughout UEFA.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

5k a week ? no way , not when there are players sloggin their asre of for the same amount. Cole should be the one to paying him , it is his agent . As you well know an agent gets a cut from the player. Anyway bit late to be arguing about this **** now. I'm with pha2er. If it means that our club makes it to the CL next year and Wenger and Henry are still here - then it is a small price to pay having ****ly for another year . As long as he is in an Arsenal shirt I will not boo him . If I saw him on the street well....

henry79

why is everyone here happy that we dint buckle to chelsea and accepted their offer of 12 mil the fact remains cashley cole doesnt want to stay at the club

how can everyone be happy with a player like that staying at our club he should be gone from the moment he went and met chelsea
its not going to be a problem for chelsea they have already a left back in bridge and they already bought a replacement for gallas and what did we do NOTHING !!!!!
we havent replaced campbell and we are hoping for god knows how long that they would sell us gallas which clearly not going to happen. wenger should have looked else where.

I think this time we made a bad mistake, let this thing rumble on for months and nothing is going to happen at the end of it

I am reall so frustrated!!!!!

hesham

Established Member
Im glad we turned them down. even if its 25mill. Id much rather sell Cole to spain or Italy for 10 mill rather than Chelsea for 25.
Im mean its not like AW is going to go out and spend the money on top players anyway. not the way he works.. so id rather not sell him to a rival even if were missing out on a couple of millions of Russian bloody money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It’s not impossible to go through a season unbeaten and I can’t see why it’s shocking to say that.

Arsène Wenger, 2 years before the Invincibles completed the unbeaten league season
Top Bottom