• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What reason he'll be blamed? Maybe slow getting back? Other than that you can't blame him Ceballos tried to dribble El-Arabi

Don’t see what options he had other than trying back to him. Why didn’t Leno go wide? Ceballos was by far the worst option .

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

What reason he'll be blamed? Maybe slow getting back? Other than that you can't blame him Ceballos tried to dribble El-Arabi
Actually think the pass to Ceballos today was worse than the one to Xhaka on the weekend. Ceballos dribble attempt was of course rubbish, but feel that Leno could have picked a better option in this case. Or if he passes Ceballos there it needs to be more pace on the ball so Ceballos can easily get it out wide. Would have preferred a wide pass right away from Leno. Arteta needs to work on this with Leno, Ceballos and Xhaka as they really haven't covered themselves in glory these last two games.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Actually think the pass to Ceballos today was worse than the one to Xhaka on the weekend. Ceballos dribble attempt was of course rubbish, but feel that Leno could have picked a better option in this case. Or if he passes Ceballos there it needs to be more pace on the ball so Ceballos can easily get it out wide. Would have preferred a wide pass right away from Leno. Arteta needs to work on this with Leno, Ceballos and Xhaka as they really haven't covered themselves in glory these last two games.
Yes you right the one against Burnley he didn't have choice even tho he should have gone long. Today he has more options our players should really stop rushing things

Pop Tart

Established Member
The way arteta wants to play from the back is not suited to Leno despite a great keeper he is. Martinez ironically was more suited to it but whatever. Until we get a keeper who is suitable for it we should just stop

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I was never keen on him from the start but I thought with the better command of his box for example, he was going up a notch. He won me round this season. BT Sport showed Ceballos surrounded by four in a double pincer and as Keown says, he's not learning. He's starting to give me jitters again. He's not young and he's been here long enough now. He'll make great saves again but we have been down this path many times before. We should have our eye on the market. Not sure but Donnarumma is free this summer. I can't in good conscience condemn Xhaka and give Leno a free pass just because of his shot stopping.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yeah Leno should've done better in picking the pass and I feel like he sold out Ceballos there.

However, I dunno, I'm not personally so concerned as his actual goalkeeping has been solid this season. I think sh!t like this happens from time to time and his mistakes have not been as egregious as Alisson's who apparently every commentator sucks dry when complimenting.

But Alisson has made more high profile mistakes in a single game (Man City if memory serves correct) than I really remember Leno making this season (though his madness at Wolves.....:lol:).

Additionally Leno's mistakes have been "soft" errors, apart from Wolves.

Melquiades

I'm a big Leno supporter but the whole team has been far too casual playing out from the back in the last few games and Leno is one of the biggest culprits. Needs to be more of a leader and needs to make smarter safer decisions rather than playing casual risky balls to players in non-ideal positions.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

As much I'd love to say it was a purely Ceballos error it was a ridiculous decision to play it to Dani. I'm not convinced Leno is as good at playing out from the back as some would believe. I've seen a theory going around that Arteta is always shouting at Leno where to pass because a lot of the time he freezes and doesn't know where he should be passing it.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arteta is blaming Leno for the goal, not long before the dressing room is lost. :shivering:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
As much I'd love to say it was a purely Ceballos error it was a ridiculous decision to play it to Dani. I'm not convinced Leno is as good at playing out from the back as some would believe. I've seen a theory going around that Arteta is always shouting at Leno where to pass because a lot of the time he freezes and doesn't know where he should be passing it.
As much as I'd love to say it was a purely Lenos error, I'll go on and blame Arteta. Let's not forget for a second that Luiz made the same blunder, Xhaka game before that, and so on. The players don't have quality on the ball to play that, simple as that. They are afraid to receive the ball, some of them hide from it (Bellerin, Elneny, Xhaka), some of them want it too much (Luiz, Ceballos) but don't have the quality to do anything with it.

You simply can't go forward and blame different player every game, it only means the problem is elsewhere

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Leno isn't a bad keeper by any means. But objectively I still don't think he's as good as Martinez, and the stats this season show it.
Leno 9 clean sheets Martinez 14
Leno 70% save rate on 90 shots on target
Martinez 78% save rate on 122 shots on target.

But I guess that's all water under the bridge now. Still can't help but think Arteta should have seen how good Martinez was when he gave the manager a superb end to last season with a string of terrific saves and commanded his box with such style.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Don’t see what options he had other than trying back to him. Why didn’t Leno go wide? Ceballos was by far the worst option .

Yh he has an option to his left and his right he could have gone for. Idk, I mean maybe blame the system, maybe blame the ability of the midfielder who is losing the ball, but maybe at some point Leno just has to not play such passes?

Like if we had Verratti or whoever Leno could play whichever pass he wants, but perhaps he should acknowledge to himself that our midfielders are not world class and if you pass them the ball in a dangerous position often enough eventually they will lose it.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Yh he has an option to his left and his right he could have gone for
He doesn't have the option to the right because his body is already turned left when he receives the ball. Their CF did amazing there and made it almost impossible to pass it back to the keeper or playing it left.
Agree with Verratti comparison, there a few players out there who would be able to keep the ball, Cazorla did that so well for us a while ago.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

Nah, after taking the first touch the option to the left was no longer available, because you don't pass across your 18 yard box when a striker is that close. Should've been a first time pass or nothing.

To the right was also difficult. Imo Ceballos was the best option (after kicking it long) so Ceballos could pass it to Bellerin in a triangle, but the problem was the pass was underhit, which is why the attacker was close to Ceballos and would've been able to block the pass.

The lazy turn Ceballos made didn't help though, especially as he turned towards the attacker. He could've considered turning the other way, which would've given him enough space to safely get rid of the ball.

Mostly Leno's fault for the poor pass, but Ceballos could've salvaged it.

Tir Na Nog

As much as I'd love to say it was a purely Lenos error, I'll go on and blame Arteta. Let's not forget for a second that Luiz made the same blunder, Xhaka game before that, and so on. The players don't have quality on the ball to play that, simple as that. They are afraid to receive the ball, some of them hide from it (Bellerin, Elneny, Xhaka), some of them want it too much (Luiz, Ceballos) but don't have the quality to do anything with it.

You simply can't go forward and blame different player every game, it only means the problem is elsewhere

Yeah perhaps Arteta should realise Leno isn't Ederson, Luiz isn't Stones and Xhaka isn't Rodri and adapt in the knowledge of this fact.

Tir Na Nog

We still must acknowledge the fact that Leno is prone the errors, he's made plenty in his time here. I don't think he'll ever be world class. He's better than most, I'd say only City, Liverpool and Villa have a better keeper than us.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We still must acknowledge the fact that Leno is prone the errors, he's made plenty in his time here. I don't think he'll ever be world class. He's better than most, I'd say only City, Liverpool and Villa have a better keeper than us.
He’ll never be a league winning GK unless he has a world class team in front of him, but he’s one of the few in our squad that’s good enough to start for a top four team.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

He’ll never be a league winning GK unless he has a world class team in front of him, but he’s one of the few in our squad that’s good enough to start for a top four team.

Course he can be, I think if he was in Liverpool’s team last season they’d of still won the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom