• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I think we should sell Leno and get a more modern keeper who's good with his feet. Imo Leno actually had a very good 18 months leading up to this poor form which started a couple months ago now. When he's on form he's one of the best shot stoppers in the league easily. He had improved his aerial dominance etc in the first few months of the season (which has admittedley gone to **** now), but something he won't really be able to be coached into having is composure and footwork. Some keepers just don't have it.

Gunners1616

We should have just trusted the guy that led our defence to 2 trophies... This is an old debate and i know Leno was good before his injury but goalkeeper is a position where you shouldn't be dropped as long as you are excellent and consistent. Martinez was a leader in that defense that won Arteta his 2 trophees.

Leno is a better stopper but for everything else Martinez was better despite the small sample. Taller, more dominant, stronger in the air and much better with his feet which is supposedly very important for Mikel's style (whatever that is).

I never liked the entitlement of Leno everything he was asked about competition. He always kept saying he is number 1 because the club told him he is always number 1 whereas Martinez has had a tough path before getting there. It's easy to speak today with Emi having a better season at Villa but it was clear that he had the better profile and leadership for our defense.

Now we are stuck with Leno who has only 2 years left on his contract whereas Emi would have certainly signed for a long time for half of Leno's salary.

1619467805151.png

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Need a tall keeper 👌🏻 No more Ospinas.

Are French clubs still bust? Heard Maignan is supposed to be good.

Yeah I begrudgingly agree. I don't want to sound heightist (seeing as I'm a relative midget myself) but I'm really really really not feeling the trend we've had recently for going for shorter keepers (relatively).

Raya (who apparently we chased quite a bit in the summer), Matt Ryan and Runarsson are quite small for keepers, and contrary to my earlier beliefs just one or two inches with the extra reach can make a massive difference.

That's not to say smaller keepers can't be great (Iker Casillas) but I do admit that Martinez's size was a great comfort and Leno is a big lad too at 6 ft 3, even if he doesn't dominate the box during crosses.

I sort of feel like it's an Inaki Cana (5 ft 8 donnie lol) thing which kind of worries me but let's see what happens in the summer. If we sign Ryan though I'd start to worry a little.

shoot for the top

We should have just trusted the guy that led our defence to 2 trophies... This is an old debate and i know Leno was good before his injury but goalkeeper is a position where you shouldn't be dropped as long as you are excellent and consistent. Martinez was a leader in that defense that won Arteta his 2 trophees.

Leno is a better stopper but for everything else Martinez was better despite the small sample. Taller, more dominant, stronger in the air and much better with his feet which is supposedly very important for Mikel's style (whatever that is).

I never liked the entitlement of Leno everything he was asked about competition. He always kept saying he is number 1 because the club told him he is always number 1 whereas Martinez has had a tough path before getting there. It's easy to speak today with Emi having a better season at Villa but it was clear that he had the better profile and leadership for our defense.

Now we are stuck with Leno who has only 2 years left on his contract whereas Emi would have certainly signed for a long time for half of Leno's salary.

View attachment 2685

Should have kept Emi.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Should have kept Emi.

Yeah......I think the big question for me is whether he would've stayed and we'd have been able to let them fight it out for no1 this season.

I think if you'd have asked most people, this would've been the preferred option.

If it's true that Arteta was making promises that Bernd would come straight back in as no1 (instead of earning his place back) and that contributed to Martinez leaving then it was a big booboo in retrospect.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Dortmund are signing the Stuttgart GK so I think we’re stuck with Leno.

With 2 years left on his contract it’ll be interesting to see if he gets a new deal.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Rumours that we're looking at Unai Simon of Athletic Bilbao. Just my opinion that Leno's weak mentality is something Arteta conceded he can't do anything about.

Pop Tart

Established Member
All the posts at the start of the season with fans giving it the Christopher biggins. What a keeper. Best shot stopper In the league etc. Keeper is supposed to save shots same as a striker has to score. He is a nervous wreck who I would not trust to make a cup of tea

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
He really is quite okay for our level. We have much bigger issues currently. He makes 2-3 mistakes a season but is extremely solid outside of those. We really need to spend whatever limited money we have on ensuring that an Elneny-Ceballos boring pivot never starts again

Iceman10

Established Member
Yeah......I think the big question for me is whether he would've stayed and we'd have been able to let them fight it out for no1 this season.

I think if you'd have asked most people, this would've been the preferred option.

If it's true that Arteta was making promises that Bernd would come straight back in as no1 (instead of earning his place back) and that contributed to Martinez leaving then it was a big booboo in retrospect.
A question perhaps is whether we would have got Partey without the sale. If the Kroenke's did a Liverpool type loan arrangement there would have been no trouble being so bothered with balancing books in the short term so much, we would also have been able to go beyond Partey being the end of business for that window, but they didn't. It was almost like a key sale every summer was becoming part of our business model to maintain around 80m on incomings every summer while out of the CL. It was Iwobi the season before. If this is all the case (managing the books) then maybe one can see why Emi was pushed out.

Letting Emi go for 20m though was very underpriced for me, probably was lower with add-on clauses to make 20m; no buyback, and no sell-on clause anyone is aware of.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

View attachment 2685
Is Leno even a better shot stopper? Some of the saves Martinez makes are outrageous.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He's been so bad since the Wolves red card, still don't really trust him anymore.

But credit's where it's due, big save from Moreno at 2-0, would have been game over!

GDeep™

League is very weak
He’s actually one of the most expensive keepers in the history of the game, in the top 10 list.

Guy is bang average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom