• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Brooke Norton-Cuffy

GoonerBoy19

I would prefer to have him sent for another loan to get 20-30 games under his belt. I wouldn't throw him to PL right now and league cup/EL games would not be enough for his development. Let's be realistic, if Tomi gets injured before a top-6 match it will be unfair to put this boy on the pitch, Arteta will again have to play someone out of position. We should behave like a top 6 club by selling Cedric, and finding a suitable replacement who can step in when needed.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Yeah that's fair enough and I like the idea of giving him a chance as well. My fear would be that he misses out on a loan, has a couple of timid performances and then gets benched for half a season where he could have been getting genuine game time. But with EL and the cups he should be able to get some lower level matches hopefully whatever happens. If he takes his chance it would be amazing.
I have this fear as well especially with Arteta. That's why I said he must be given proper scheduled game time the way we developed youngsters during the Graham and Wenger eras.

Goonger

We'll have pre season to impress Arteta. If he does, then he should get League Cup games & some Europa League group games. There we can make a further assessment.

If he performs well in those games he becomes a genuine option for the squad. If he doesn't do quite as well we can loan him to the Championship for the 2nd half of the season.

That's 20+ games right there even in the worst case scenario.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I defo understand the concern of dropping him straight into a PL scenario - that said, Norton-Cuffy is one of few who I'd back in that situation. Has a habit of adapting very quickly.

I would still think a loan would be most beneficial for him specifically but I also think he'll be a better option than Cedric so it's tricky.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I've got no problem with giving BNC a shot in the first team, but don't you think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a young player who's had half a season in League One to suddenly be good enough to be PL standard? Nuno wasn't and he had 3000 minutes of Portuguese division one... Cedric has a career as a mid table PL player and full international.

I'm optimistic about BNC I just don't want the pressure on his shoulders of being our next great hope before we know how be adjusts to top level football. Seen it with Balogun and lots of others before.
Well that’s the thing about young players. Some can shock you and hit the ground running (Saka). Some need a loan to see what they’re made of (Wilshere) and most will not make it. You will only know for certain which category BNC fits in until he gets minutes under his belt against suitable opposition. The one of the few good points of being Europa is that it’s a great way to blood in youngsters in the group games. In the last couple of years we’ve faced Molde, Dunkirk, Rapid Vienna, Frankfurt etc. Those teams aren’t much better than the ones BNC has already faced in league one tbh. At home with more talented players I think he’ll be fine.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Well that’s the thing about young players. Some can shock you and hit the ground running (Saka). Some need a loan to see what they’re made of (Wilshere) and most will not make it. You will only know for certain which category BNC fits in until he gets minutes under his belt against suitable opposition. The one of the few good points of being Europa is that it’s a great way to blood in youngsters in the group games. In the last couple of years we’ve faced Molde, Dunkirk, Rapid Vienna, Frankfurt etc. Those teams aren’t much better than the ones BNC has already faced in league one tbh. At home with more talented players I think he’ll be fine.
Yeah some young players are already on high level and can take to senior straight away. He definitely seem to have the physicality to play in the pl and looks very good on the ball. And let’s be honest, full back is the position you need least experience in

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yeah, well said. I think my original post was more about our expectations as fans - the assumption is always that the shiny new youth player will be better than what we have but the hit rate is actually the opposite - chances are more likely that he fails to make the grade than he succeeds, but I'm honestly not trying to trash BNC - he looks really talented and I'd be happy to see him get his shot in the first team next season.

Mraven

One day he’s going to come on and save us from Cedric and that limp Japanese. We’ve been cursed at RB for too long

Reactions: Xln

GoonerBoy19

One day he’s going to come on and save us from Cedric and that limp Japanese. We’ve been cursed at RB for too long

Our left-backs have been even worse. We have had Flamini, Gael clichy, Gibbs, Sylvestre, Andre Santos, Nacho, Kolasinac, Tierney & Tavares since Cashley left us. At least we had Sagna for a few years on the right side.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Best thing for him is either a full season loan if we bring in someone who can play RB. If we don't 1st half combo of LC & EL fixtures before a 2nd half loan unless he Saka's it up.

Thought he has a chance long term for 2 years now, so glad to see him making strides. But caution and patience needed

benjamin86

Established Member
I could see us loaning him to a Championship club in January once the early cup games are over unless he really impresses and jumps ahead of Cedric as the backup RB.

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom