• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Interesting that’s he has featured in midfield against Brentford. There was a post that theorised he could play there. I guess the reasoning could be how poor we are in the midfield area that Arteta is considering a LW/LWB/LB as a midfield option. What do people think about him in midfield? Obviously, The Ox wanted to be a midfielder and I guess he could be compared to AMN and Saka.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Interesting that’s he has featured in midfield against Brentford. There was a post that theorised he could play there. I guess the reasoning could be how poor we are in the midfield area that Arteta is considering a LW/LWB/LB as a midfield option. What do people think about him in midfield? Obviously, The Ox wanted to be a midfielder and I guess he could be compared to AMN and Saka.
@The_Playmaker looks like Arteta is a fan of your tactics

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm not 100% about their long term futures in midfield, but they're both far more suited to being midfielders than Ox was. Far more technical ability for starters.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Would be a strange adaptation for Saka to make now. We lack natural width in the team and Saka offers it in abundance

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Would be a strange adaptation for Saka to make now. We lack natural width in the team and Saka offers it in abundance

Arteta has an eye on the future. Tierney is clearly a better left back than Saka. We tilted the entire formation to protect Saka. However in doing so it made him indispensible. So if your left back has to start and Auba plays on the left with Martinelli there in the future, the one place you can play Saka is the left side of a 3. He becomes a left winger when he wants to. He is also effective shooting near the area so it just makes sense to have him involved as often as possible.

RunTheTrap

Does anyone remember when Jack Wilshere went from right winger in the academy to CM in the first team? I didn't watch academy football at those times but when exactly did he become a midfielder and why? Was that Wenger's doing or Bould's? And do you think there are similarities with Saka.

Obviously, Wilshere was more talented but maybe Saka is more robust and dynamic to play midfield. I guess its sacrificing technical qualities for physicality, which you might need in the PL. I'm not saying Saka is the next Wilshere but I'm just looking for reasons why Arteta is experimenting with Saka in this way.

Afro Mugo

Does anyone remember when Jack Wilshere went from right winger in the academy to CM in the first team? I didn't watch academy football at those times but when exactly did he become a midfielder and why? Was that Wenger's doing or Bould's? And do you think there are similarities with Saka.

Obviously, Wilshere was more talented but maybe Saka is more robust and dynamic to play midfield. I guess its sacrificing technical qualities for physicality, which you might need in the PL. I'm not saying Saka is the next Wilshere but I'm just looking for reasons why Arteta is experimenting with Saka in this way.
Most midfielders start off as wingers from Modric, Kroos KDB, Scholes, Silva, Cazorla, Iniesta etc . Wenger used to say playing on the wing refines their technical ability in tight spaces and in Midfield there's a lot of space hence why he regularly played his midfielders there. In the case of Wilshere it was his attributes that pushed him centrally the dribbling ability and passing. Saka is a very interesting player. He has more talent than sometimes people give him credit for. I noticed in videos even as an LB he drifted a lot centrally and he could dribble across the field from there . Its very difficult getting the ball off his feet and his passing is actually really accurate with both feet which is not always easy as a makeshift LB. He's always being a goal scorer since youth level as he was a rocket of a left foot and his right is actually also really good. I can understand why Arteta would keep him at LCM. Aside from his athleticism, which we lack in midfield, Tierney is a good full back plus he is the ideal inverted fullback as his defensive nous is really good. You also want to maintain one of Aubameyang/Martinelli in the team so you get a left side of Tierney Saka Auba/Martinelli. He can still use his crossing ability in a similar way playing CM hasn't prevented KDB . He has a lot of talent , that kid. .

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

From my memory, Wilshere started in a central role for our first team and I think he played that way at Bolton as well. He wasn't exactly a right winger at the academy either, more like a AMC who would move wide sometimes and then cut inside once he receives the ball. It was a joy to watch the way he did that and there was that famous academy goal he scored in front of Wenger which brought a smile on a big man's face. I think that was the moment when people noticed Wilshere outside of the academy

As for Saka, he doesn't look like that type of midfielder for me. There will probably be more similarities with Chamberlain than Wilshere if he ever plays a central role.

And for Wilshere being more talented, idk about that. Saka was very impressive this season, more than Wilshere was at Bolton.

RunTheTrap

From my memory, Wilshere started in a central role for our first team and I think he played that way at Bolton as well. He wasn't exactly a right winger at the academy either, more like a AMC who would move wide sometimes and then cut inside once he receives the ball. It was a joy to watch the way he did that and there was that famous academy goal he scored in front of Wenger which brought a smile on a big man's face. I think that was the moment when people noticed Wilshere outside of the academy

As for Saka, he doesn't look like that type of midfielder for me. There will probably be more similarities with Chamberlain than Wilshere if he ever plays a central role.

And for Wilshere being more talented, idk about that. Saka was very impressive this season, more than Wilshere was at Bolton.
The first time I saw Wilshere was when we played against Celtic in the Emirates Cup. I saw him out on the right wing and assumed that was his position in the academy. Not as a traditional winger but the David Silva type. As for his time at Bolton, I think the manager had him out wide mostly but he did play game some games in the middle as an attacking midfielder.

Yeah, I do see the similarities with Ox but I also compare Saka with Wilshere because they're kinda similar in how they both impacted the team at such a young age. 18 year old Wilshere ran our midfield, 18 year old Saka is our whole attack at times. Hence the comparison. As for talent, I believe Wilshere is ahead of Saka. I don't know how to put it but his technique looks "cleaner". Maybe it's down to his locomotion or gait. Saka just looks more powerful when he runs with the ball. I think I'm doing a bad job explaining it but Wilshere had a bit more elegance for me.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Yeah, I do see the similarities with Ox but I also compare Saka with Wilshere because they're kinda similar in how they both impacted the team at such a young age. 18 year old Wilshere ran our midfield, 18 year old Saka is our whole attack at times. Hence the comparison. As for talent, I believe Wilshere is ahead of Saka. I don't know how to put it but his technique looks "cleaner". Maybe it's down to his locomotion or gait. Saka just looks more powerful when he runs with the ball. I think I'm doing a bad job explaining it but Wilshere had a bit more elegance for me.
Saka can also be trained to play a different role, he is 18 years only and looks to be versatile.
We'll disagree on their talent. For me, the way Saka was attacking in the final third was absolutely impressive, especially when he was coming up from a LB.
That's saying more about Saka than putting Wilshere down who was amazing as well

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The way football is going wide men are now essentially the main "strikers" for the team, and with Saka I don't think he has that goalscorer instinct, he is more of a creator.

Hopefully he can develop and fulfil the role KDB does for city (not comparing the two directly as players), that advanced 8 that provides the final pass/cross.

Really do think he has the football iq to play there.

Afro Mugo

The first time I saw Wilshere was when we played against Celtic in the Emirates Cup. I saw him out on the right wing and assumed that was his position in the academy. Not as a traditional winger but the David Silva type. As for his time at Bolton, I think the manager had him out wide mostly but he did play game some games in the middle as an attacking midfielder.

Wilshere played a lot on the wing at youth level .I remember the FA youth cup games the midfield was Coquelin and Frimpong with Jay Emmanuel Thomas ahead of them and Sanchez Watt played stiker. Wilshere played right wing a lot like Man City's Phil Foden. On Wilshere , it's that he's style was more aesthetically pleasing to the eye ; there was some finesse about how he played the ball. Saka's dribbling style is very direct and it sometimes look like he's not in control but is very much in control. I'd say it's a bit like Bergkamp-Henry. Almost equally talented but there was some finesse with Bergkamp while Henry's pure athleticism could fool the eye on how good his technicality actually is . Similar case with Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez . Saka's playing style is very deceiving . Not many notice how good his passing actually is with both feet . In terms of pure talent I think they're equal from what I've seen of both .

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The way football is going wide men are now essentially the main "strikers" for the team, and with Saka I don't think he has that goalscorer instinct, he is more of a creator.

Hopefully he can develop and fulfil the role KDB does for city (not comparing the two directly as players), that advanced 8 that provides the final pass/cross.

Really do think he has the football iq to play there.
He has a great shot on him and takes his goals well. No reason at all to think he couldn’t at least provide both goals and assists. I personally expect goals to be quite a big part of his game

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wilshere was one of the best young players I have ever watched...out of all the players who have had injury issues at Arsenal, Jack is the one I most regret, fantastic player at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom