• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Porto vs Arsenal | 10/12/08

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Re: FC Porto v Arsenal | CL, Group G | 10 December 2008 | 19:45

outlaw_member said:
patrick42uk said:
These boys are too young. You cannot expect them to perform with consistency. Who here between 19-24 had mastered whatever career or path they chose? In fact who here can tell me they knew what the f**k they wanted from life at that age.

I dont think its a coincidence that our level dropped with the average age of the team.

I've been saying that to death. People are expecting the likes of Diaby, Song, Denilson, Nasri, Bendtner and co. to play like seasoned pros. It just isn't going to happen because people at that age are supposed to be inconsistent. Lay the blame at Wenger but definitely not the players.
Many of us expected very little from Diaby, Denilson and Bendtner etc in the first place. Thats what all the *****ing over the summer was all about. So yes it is Wenger's fault in that regard.

I still think you need to play closer attention to people's posts though. Quality is obviously an issue, but what hurts more is the lack of heart, grit or fight on display.

dos1986

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
These boys are too young. You cannot expect them to perform with consistency. Who here between 19-24 had mastered whatever career or path they chose? In fact who here can tell me they knew what the f**k they wanted from life at that age.

I dont think its a coincidence that our level dropped with the average age of the team.

Rubbish!!

Name someone besides a centre back or a long streak of piss upfront, who got better after 25?

At 19 - 24 your at your physical peak, you wont get faster, you wont get stronger and you wont magically get consistent.

Loads of modern stars peaked at those ages and some rapidly declined.Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Giggs, Vieira, Henry ( he was better at 24 than 27 ), Figo, A Cole, Ballack etcetera, etcetera were all at the top then.

Alot of stars are finished as world beaters at 24, not getting started.Thats fact.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

dos1986 said:
At 19 - 24 your at your physical peak, you wont get faster, you wont get stronger and you wont magically get consistent.
Faster? You can a little, but it's more of a refinement of what's already there. Stronger? Absolutely you can. Consistent? Again, definitely. Not saying this will be the case with the players mentioned, but physical improvements can happen after 24. The problem or balance to this is the level of beating you take prior to this age and that varies by individual, position, and so on.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Did i really see someone say Diaby was two footed in this thread. :shock:

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

lagosgooner said:
I am not saying he should be a starter but I rate him! he is not being developed properly. he has more talent than Song,Denilson and Theo(less pace) combined. There!
What's up with you and talking sense all of a sudden? :)

People are gonna have to eat a lot of comments made about Diaby sooner or later. He's not good enough right now - in fact he's more or less useless when he's utilised the way he was against Porto - but in a couple of years he'll find his right place in the team. A lot of fans will be as remorseful then as they were when they deemed Flamini to never be good enough for anything shortly after his arrival here.

hackajack

Established Member

He's a remarkable talent but the question still is - can we use that talent to consistent good effect? The games at Fener away and ManU would suggest yes - but that means he needs to play centrally as an AM.

asajoseph

Established Member

hackajack's spot on there.

He is incredibly gifted in many ways, but it's so rare to see him use that gift in any meaningful way. He needs to learn how to be more effective.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member

You have to have intelligence and passing ability to play AM, Diaby has neither.

asajoseph

Established Member

Diaby has an astonishing ability in posession at times though. He's incredibly skillful, and at times does display remarkable awareness, though it's often a very fleeting thing, because at times he's awful here too and tries to do to much.

The question is whether or not he can shoehorn this talent into an area of the field where he can regularly be useful, and though I still want to give him more time, he seems no closer to doing this than ever.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member

Hes got dribbling skill, but hes poor in almost every other aspect.

I just can't see him playing in any area of the field.

Hes still got a lot of 'developing' to do though, I just don't want to see his development take place in important matches.

banduan

Established Member

I've reverted my opinion of Diaby from 'jury's out' back to 'sell 'im'. I really thought he might prove me wrong this season.

outlaw_member

Established Member

psycho said:
Many of us expected very little from Diaby, Denilson and Bendtner etc in the first place. Thats what all the *****ing over the summer was all about. So yes it is Wenger's fault in that regard.

I still think you need to play closer attention to people's posts though. Quality is obviously an issue, but what hurts more is the lack of heart, grit or fight on display.

I don't deny that Wenger is responsible for those players. I do think some have the quality but at the same time, others don't. Some players do play without showing apparent fight, but they all need to be in the right frame to show their true worth. At the moment, we don't have that frame.

In regards to the Diaby debate, he is incredibly talented but his lack of games since he's arrival, has clearly impacted his progress. I do think he will become a quality player, but at the moment I can't see a place for him in the team. He has stunning ability, nevertheless, but it remains to be seen whether he can fulfill his potential.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

outlaw_member said:
In regards to the Diaby debate, he is incredibly talented but his lack of games since he's arrival, has clearly impacted his progress. I do think he will become a quality player, but at the moment I can't see a place for him in the team. He has stunning ability, nevertheless, but it remains to be seen whether he can fulfill his potential.

The guy played more than Rosicky, surely lack of games is not an excuse. And his time on the wing should've improved his passing and tactical decision

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Rain Dance said:
The guy played more than Rosicky, surely lack of games is not an excuse. And his time on the wing should've improved his passing and tactical decision
In his Arsenal career, yes, a couple more than Rosicky. In his career overall, excluding internationals, more than 150 less than Rosicky.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

AnthonyG said:
Rain Dance said:
In his Arsenal career, yes, a couple more than Rosicky. In his career overall, excluding internationals, more than 150 less than Rosicky.

:roll: So do you also think Diaby has lack of games??
My point is Diaby has had plenty of games under his belt to make the lack of games excuse void

Captain

Established Member

He can't pass and it is a big area of his game that needs to be improved. The problem is that there is little to no discernible improvement in all of his time here.

Vagabond is a quality comic.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Rain Dance said:
:roll: So do you also think Diaby has lack of games??
My point is Diaby has had plenty of games under his belt to make the lack of games excuse void
Compared to Rosicky (as you did), yes, i.e. overall in his career, I also think Diaby has a lack of games; I'm not sure how one could think otherwise. Is it an excuse for his sometimes lacklustre showings? Not sure, but he is yet to get a string of consistent games in his time here at Arsenal not to mention the disruptive injuries. The lad doesn't even have a settled position.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot

<a class="postlink" href="http://espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item167991/Wenger:-Title-race-will-be-tight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espnstar.com/football/premier-le ... -be-tight/</a>

He continued: "I believe we have come back into some consistency - we have beaten Chelsea and Wigan, also Kiev, and that the Porto result was a special game.

Wowowo... special game?It was a hint that he wanted to finish second in the group? :?

Err... :roll:

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom