• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Darren Bent

Status
Not open for further replies.

_scorpion_

Established Member
On Sunu - physically he is quite mature, but not ready for EPL.

On Henry - he has not peaked in terms of physical ability.

He was carrying injuries that required prolonged rest & rehab.

He is back to being injury free. He will recover his match fitness and be back playing at his best.

Barca are shrewd and they know this will be the last chance to snap him up before he disperses all doubt about where he is at in terms of his career.

My doubts are not Henry. But rather the gang of unproven strikers who will support him.

Yes.... Unproven.

Both Ade & RVP have it all cut out for them this season. We simply won't be having this conversation again at the end of next season.

Nobody has stepped up to claim the role and I believe Arsène could do the team & himself a huge favor by paying a premium this time for someone capeable of playing that role.

"Ball in the back of the net" should be the last thing Arsène thinks of before authorising the money men to finalise any deal.

We need players that will do that.

Relying on an egotistical young Dane and lightweight Mexican are not the solutions.

A proven goal scorer that can make it a 3 way shoot out to support Henry is required.

Someone capeable of starting in place of Henry when he is injured.

Probably our next 'ball runner' and long term front man. RVP & Ade will have their roles to play, but a true goal getter with pace and strength of leg to finish chances after all the hard work.

It will be an interesting transfer window.

Some big big talk coming out of Liverpool. Chelsea will wait for the Premira to finish and United are taking the initiative very early after winning a title.

For the first time since I can remember, Arsène visits Spain a month earlier than normal. We all know he has business with Reyes....but what else?

Today we hear Quaresma linked with Athletico. For a club, scint with money, why would they look at a 15 million pound rated winger?

run

Excellent post Scorpion...

There could be a tremendous amount of movement this window. And the new TV deal could see talent moving into the Premiership at an even faster pace.

If Chelski, Manure, and Pool all move to strengthen (and I think it is clear they will) then Arsène has to be agressive; he'll have to do what he always says he'll do bring in two "super class" players.

He hasn't really delivered in the past...I'm on pins and needles hoping he does this summer.

kel varnsen

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
On Sunu - physically he is quite mature, but not ready for EPL.

On Henry - he has not peaked in terms of physical ability.

He was carrying injuries that required prolonged rest & rehab.

He is back to being injury free. He will recover his match fitness and be back playing at his best.

exactly how do you know that? imo, the decline started already last season. sure, he still scored goals on a regular basis, but already back then did the signs become quite obvious. he didn't dominate games like he once used to. he didn't run with the ball like he used. he didn't run past defenders with such extreme ease anymore. this season was even worse. that makes it not just a coincidence, but rather a trend over a long period of time. a rather worrying trend if you ask me.

are you telling me henry has been severly injured for nearly 18 months now? if so, then he clearly IS past it...

_scorpion_

Established Member
He carried injuries for that period but could not rehabilitate because he wanted to play WC.

Yes i know.

Its not a physical decline.

It's chronic injury that needed more attention and care - that Henry was not willing to take because he wanted the club qualified for the CL & to play in the WC.

He will be back.

Zico

Established Member
It's frustating to see our supporters pummel Henry with criticism.

I hear a lot about how Henry didn't dominate games. There are a few reasons for that:

1) sore back - he was injured and lacking match fitness

2) lack of service from midfield. When you see a striker constantly coming back and playing next to Gilberto you know that he is not getting service from those behind him.

3) lack of alternative threats. Too often Henry was covered by two guys because people knew the likes of Cesc and Shleb were not about to score goals.

Henry did not play a big attacking role in games, but whenever he had the ball he was far and away our most dangerous player.

banduan

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
Both Ade & RVP have it all cut out for them this season. We simply won't be having this conversation again at the end of next season.

Nobody has stepped up to claim the role and I believe Arsène could do the team & himself a huge favor by paying a premium this time for someone capeable of playing that role.

I don't get how RVP can be our top scorer despite being injured, and yet be considered as not having stepped up to the role.

Zico

Established Member
banduan said:
_scorpion_ said:

I don't get how RVP can be our top scorer despite being injured, and yet be considered as not having stepped up to the role.

You just have to get used to our top players being savaged, mate. Henry, van Persie, Fabregas, Gallas, Gilberto are always being picked apart on this forum. Funny how it's these very players that are wanted by the world's biggest teams like Real, Bayern, Barca and Juve.

sabret00the

Established Member
It's not a case of our best players being slated, it's just that due to the rapid rise in infamy regarding van Persie. the goal posts are slightly wider than on average. While Adebayor gets plaudits for running around doing a lot of nothing, van Persie does the job of a striker and is still left wanting.

As i stated above, van Persie deserves more of a starting berth than Henry going into next season but he won't get it. he'll be made to share minutes with Adebayor which is quite ridiculous. We should pick players on form, won't happen though. this is almost as much as Thirry Henry FC as much Arsenal FC.

Arnie

a loan? interesting idea but unlikely.

and the whoever said RVP hasn't stepped up needs to look at the goalscoring charts!!

i want to start a "buy benni mccarthy" crusade. He ticks all the boxes, more than bent anyway.

Zico

Established Member
Arnie said:
a loan? interesting idea but unlikely.

and the whoever said RVP hasn't stepped up needs to look at the goalscoring charts!!

i want to start a "buy benni mccarthy" crusade. He ticks all the boxes, more than bent anyway.

You'd have to be careful with Benni. He's old but he's everything to Blackburn. His price might be far higher than his value.

Arnie

can't disagree, i could see some ludicrous price being offered, but if he is what we need, why not, a ludicrous price for him is still lower than a fair price for eto'o or torres (both unlikely in my opinion) but i could see the same results if not better because there is less problems with transitional periods etc.

kym7224

Charlton's Darren Bent will join West Ham for £18m in a deal that will net the striker £80,000 a week. (Star)

Hayden Mullins and Marlon Harewood will head the other way across London and link up with former boss Alan Pardew at the Addicks in a £12m deal. (Mirror)

two on BBC gossip.

Westham really spend too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom