• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Deadline Day Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Ox was a fairly prominent player when he was fit, really divided opinion like Havertz.

They gave him a huge contract and tried to make him a CM after we played him out wide.
Both way too expensive for what they bring but similarities end there.

Havertz is a talented player who's played out of position and looks like sh*t in the progress.

Football was never for Ox, guy should've done hurdles or something.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Wouldn't say 8 but I actually liked how we did our business early and actually did not do any deadline day bullshit.

I think people need to applaud that bit more especially seeing our rivals scrambling around for mid players which we have done years gone by.

I'm not as mad at the sales as the rest of the forum for reasons I have repeated enough but the entitlement lack of understanding on the landscape and basic football finance is still surprising.

6 or 7 out of 10 depending on Havertz.
I kind of agree with this.

A huge positive was that we went into the window with intent and a clear plan that we executed on in terms of incomings. That bit was nothing short of fantastic tbf but is clouded by Havertz performances and Arteta’s stubbornness to keep playing him to the detriment of others. We’ll see if it continues today or not.

I do feel that with a season ending injury to one of these new key players the club has to react. There’s no one who can convince there wasn’t an available player that we could have gotten on loan. I’d even be fine with Tierney or Holding staying for the sake of good enough backups. Now we’re way too thin and relying exclusively on luck.

For the outgoings I feel the Balogun deal was very positive and a huge step in the right direction. For these late deals for Tierney, Lokonga, Holding etc I understand the state of affairs we’re in and acknowledge we maybe can’t expect better than to get them out. But it’s Arteta and Edu that got us here and I feel while they’re responsible they’re not held accountable. And I personally can’t look beyond that and judge only this window without context

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Do you also not think we’re simply not there yet as a club? City and Liverpool can demand such fees because they’ve been a constant at the top over the past few years. Any club sniffing around youngsters or fringe players will be like, ok cool, CL level squad players at least they’ll be good for us.

Also the youth players City sells are genuinely top draw and teams know it. So Sancho, Lavia, Iheanacho and Cole Palmer being the latest. I think most clubs would try and integrate those players

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Jorginho has an option to extend until 2025. I'm fairly certain this is used, and he might be kept in the Elneny type role.
Yeah I agree. Next summer TP will have a year of his contract left & i wouldn't be surprised if we were open to selling him. Reckon next summer we buy a striker, defender (maybe 2) & midfielder.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
An early deadwood listing for next summer:

Runarsson (out of contract)
Okonkwo (out of contract)
Hein
Cedric (out of contract if still here)
Tavares
Tierney
Elneny (out of contract)
Jorginho (out of contract)
Lokonga
Pepe (out of contract if still here)
Marquinhos

No doubt more pieces will be added to the DEADWOOD pile as the season progresses - I’m looking at YOU ESR and Fairy Vieira.
See the tabloids have the story from Arsenal that they’re prepared to rip up Pepe’s contract because there’s been no interest. Don’t think a club could make it plainer that a player is completely dusted. What a way to do business? Imagine a second hand car salesman advertising that his cars‘ll be scrapped if nobody buys them, instead of the usual one lady owner stuff.:lol:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I do feel that with a season ending injury to one of these new key players the club has to react. There’s no one who can convince there wasn’t an available player that we could have gotten on loan. I’d even be fine with Tierney or Holding staying for the sake of good enough backups. Now we’re way too thin and relying exclusively on luck.
What is your opinion of not panic buying any stop-gap players at this point for the team, and trusting own top talent youth players if needed? Which is what they did in the end?

Cozier-Duberry has a year in contract, so buying an attacker would very likely ensure he doesn't renew.

Walters looks pretty good, surely he can try at RB, and apparently Sousa is promising too. So there is talented RB & LB in the youth squad available, plus a RW. Now Arsenal got rid of the high wage players who blocked their game-time. Apart from Cedric, but he can still be rid to Portugal, Turkey and Saudi.

Personally I would absolutely risk playing Walters, even with some mistakes, because Holding did those mistakes anyway in recent times. And is too slow.

Getting good enough player on loan is not easy. Bella-Kotchap can play only CB for example, and is still developing. And he was wise to go to PSV to get enough game-time. United got Evans for example. I doubt Chelsea would have loaned Chalobah to Arsenal. I would not buy Walker-Peters or such as a stop-gap.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's very hard to rate the window, firstly I don't care that much about outgoings, I'm sure it's important in terms of balancing the books, from a business aspect and all that stuff. But for example Pepe still being here or whatever doesn't really impact what happens on the pitch this year. For me it's a small part of rating the overall window because I only care about how the team/squad has improved.

We've essentially traded Xhaka for a combination of Rice and Havertz, you can't see either one is a direct replacement because neither will be replicating what he did and the system has changed so I'll say it's a combination of them replacing him. You could argue if Rice is replacing Partey and Havertz for Xhaka from last season then it's not really a great improvement at all, certainly not enough to bridge the gap between ourselves and City. Equally if it's Rice replacing Xhaka and Havertz just being another option. But regardless at this point it's hard to judge.

Again Timber was an excellent signing I feel but now unfortunately he's not gonna play a part so do you factor that in when judging the overall window? Again this is a weird one to judge because it's not the clubs fault he got injured (unless you're of the belief keeping him on is what injured him, i don't think so but whatever), however the club have had a few weeks to come up with something, it seems like the solution will be internal though so again we're gonna have to wait and see.

Raya again, he's not that much of an upgrade on Ramsdale but might be more reliable and the competition might be mutually beneficial as both will have to step up their game but is it a needle move? I think perhaps fractionally.

At the moment you're hovering around a 7, we've probably improved, definitely if not for the Timber injury but there's also a lot of uncertainty that whatever way you look it's hard to give anything about a 7 at this point. 6 is an understandable rating too but I think that's if you care a lot about outgoings.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I kind of agree with this.

A huge positive was that we went into the window with intent and a clear plan that we executed on in terms of incomings. That bit was nothing short of fantastic tbf but is clouded by Havertz performances and Arteta’s stubbornness to keep playing him to the detriment of others. We’ll see if it continues today or not.

For the outgoings I feel the Balogun deal was very positive and a huge step in the right direction. For these late deals for Tierney, Lokonga, Holding etc I understand the state of affairs we’re in and acknowledge we maybe can’t expect better than to get them out. But it’s Arteta and Edu that got us here and I feel while they’re responsible they’re not held accountable. And I personally can’t look beyond that and judge only this window without context

Well said and I largely agree with what you have said as well. A loan or keeping one of the out of favour was probably the way to go but lets see.

I feel like smaller squad is better for Mikel.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
People keep moaning about not being able to sell our deadwood.

Tierney should be 25 million
Holding should be 15 million

We have developed away from these players but so has the rest of the league. Teams play deep blocks vs US. They do it because we are good and will get ripped apart of they leave space in behind. They don't deep block vs other teams.

All teams are trying to invert full backs.
There is a dearth of number 9s so who wants a 1 dimensional full back who can only push and run but can't pass inside.

The only player that I genuinely believe has value that we are unable to sell is Pepe. He has his flaws, but he is able to score goals and goals should be worth something. Pepe in a transition team like Brentford would be really effective. His wages are the problem. A 72 million pound player is on 72 million pound player wages.

Lol no one is saying 15m for Holding, they’re saying like 4-5m. We bought the guy for 2m from Bolton and somehow made a loss on him lmao.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It's very hard to rate the window, firstly I don't care that much about outgoings, I'm sure it's important in terms of balancing the books, from a business aspect and all that stuff. But for example Pepe still being here or whatever doesn't really impact what happens on the pitch this year. For me it's a small part of rating the overall window because I only care about how the team/squad has improved.

We've essentially traded Xhaka for a combination of Rice and Havertz, you can't see either one is a direct replacement because neither will be replicating what he did and the system has changed so I'll say it's a combination of them replacing him. You could argue if Rice is replacing Partey and Havertz for Xhaka from last season then it's not really a great improvement at all, certainly not enough to bridge the gap between ourselves and City. Equally if it's Rice replacing Xhaka and Havertz just being another option. But regardless at this point it's hard to judge.

Again Timber was an excellent signing I feel but now unfortunately he's not gonna play a part so do you factor that in when judging the overall window? Again this is a weird one to judge because it's not the clubs fault he got injured (unless you're of the belief keeping him on is what injured him, i don't think so but whatever), however the club have had a few weeks to come up with something, it seems like the solution will be internal though so again we're gonna have to wait and see.

Raya again, he's not that much of an upgrade on Ramsdale but might be more reliable and the competition might be mutually beneficial as both will have to step up their game but is it a needle move? I think perhaps fractionally.

At the moment you're hovering around a 7, we've probably improved, definitely if not for the Timber injury but there's also a lot of uncertainty that whatever way you look it's hard to give anything about a 7 at this point. 6 is an understandable rating too but I think that's if you care a lot about outgoings.

After Timber injury the defence is basically exactly the same as last season but without Tierney and Holding. So on paper it’s gotten a bit worse.

Arteta needs to get a strong defence into gear cos that’s what’s gonna put you high up the league table. My worry atm is the defence isn’t stable, why’s Gabriel not starting? We started last season well because we had a stable defence, Arteta needs to sort it out quick.

drippin

Lol no one is saying 15m for Holding, they’re saying like 4-5m. We bought the guy for 2m from Bolton and somehow made a loss on him lmao.
Why are you claiming it's a loss, when it's 1 million + 2,5 million in add-ons?

We can't know what the requirements are for the add-ons, so you claiming that as a fact looks very silly.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Looking at the squad now I'd say Cedric, Pepe and Elneny are the last of those we won't get anything for. Jorginho as well if he doesn't get a new deal.

Outside of that we have to start getting into the habit making decent money on anyone who goes out the door in future. These constant loan deals are a killer.

Ljonin

Why are you claiming it's a loss, when it's 1 million + 2,5 million in add-ons?

We can't know what the requirements are for the add-ons, so you claiming that as a fact looks very silly.

Of course it’s a loss. Even if it’s 1:1 in terms of fee, inflation makes it a loss. Transfer fees today are not comparable to when we bought Holding.

drippin

Of course it’s a loss. Even if it’s 1:1 in terms of fee, inflation makes it a loss. Transfer fees today are not comparable to when we bought Holding.
Holding cost 2-2,5 million pounds.

How often do you see talk about inflation regarding transfer fees? This is the first time I have seen it, and it's no surprise as people here love to mock their own club even by totally silly things.

I already said it's not a good fee btw. So it's not about that. Stick to the facts though.

Ljonin

Holding cost 2-2,5 million pounds.

How often do you see talk about inflation regarding transfer fees? This is the first time I have seen it, and it's no surprise as people here love to mock their own club even by totally silly things.

I already said it's not a good fee btw. So it's not about that. Stick to the facts though.

Look, we don’t have to debate it. It’s a terrible deal in all honesty.

And I agree with you btw. The mocking here has become completely ridiculous. Season has barely started and people are acting like we are being run by clowns, even tho they almost led us to a league title over arguably the best English team of the century

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Saying the club is horrible in moving players out does not mean you think the club did poorly with incomings this transfer window.

Hope this helps.

drippin

Look, we don’t have to debate it. It’s a terrible deal in all honesty.

And I agree with you btw. The mocking here has become completely ridiculous. Season has barely started and people are acting like we are being run by clowns, even tho they almost led us to a league title over arguably the best English team of the century
If there was no other offers, or Holding only wanted Palace in London, then I think it was an okay deal, as long as Walters takes Holding's place in the squad.

Not sure about Holding's wages, but I assume he earned like 70k per week with the extensions he has made (Google says like 40k but I don't trust that). So that's possibly like 6 million overall to use in future transfers, while giving a chance to develop own promising youth.

I bet the same people who think Holding isn't EPL level at all, mock this transfer fee for not being enough, which would be quite conflicting, but no surprise. :lol:

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I think the window is a 9/10 from me. I'd rate the signings as follows:

Rice 9/10 - I do think it's a transformative signing. His engine is immense, his defensive awareness is world class and I think his offensive output will surprise a few people. I initially put 10/10 but I think that rating has to be kept for generational players

Timber 8/10 - perfect for our system. Great at inverting, carrying and distributing while being an aggressive ball winner. Let's just hope he comes back the same player

Havertz ?/10 - He's had some uninspiring performances. But the defensive side of his game is easily matching Xhaka's. He's still learning his midfield role in this side and has only played against parked buses. He's a big game player by all accounts and off the ball he looks great. His stamina looks to be top tier.

Now people are knocking the window based on an injury. I don't think that's reasonable. It's not something you can forsee. Has it left us short? Maybe, but I think we're intentionally playing with less defenders it is.

Sales

Disapointing we didn't get fees for more of our players. I suppose with Tierney clubs are questioning why he's barely played for 12 months and his 100k a week contract or however much it is. That's allot of wages to then pay a fee for when you don't know what Tierney's fitness and current ability actually is.

The Balogun deal is pretty decent coin. He went for the same amount other similarly scoring forwards in ligue 1 are going for. The Xhaka deal was good business.
☝️
This is the best take I have seen so far tbh.
We have signed 4 starting quality players.

We got our no1 target Rice👍👍
Timber looks top quality but we have been super unlucky.😔
Havertz is a player who likely will always divide opinion rather like the guy he replaced at '8'.
However his workrate & off the ball stuff is very good & his height can be valuable. That was the reason he was bought. He gives us different options at both 9 & as an 8. The guy works hard despite his languid style & has ability.

He is likely the sort of player more appreciated by teammates & managers rather than fans. ✊🏿

Raya is a very decent goalkeeper👌

Ok I would have liked better on some of the outgoings but it's an 8/10 window for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury
Top Bottom