• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dinos Mavropanos: Mavro Number 5

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Mavropanos will become good cb we already saw that when wenger used him he looked a very good ball playing modern CB. He won't be sticking around here to be back up for Gabriel Mari Saliba Holding he'll look to move and he one of players we could use money from his sale to improve the team. So for me it's win situation whatever the outcome.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Have Holding and Gabriel for the starters backed up by Mari, Saliba and Mavro. RB Chambers, LB Tierney and Cedric as cover.

Ditch Luiz and Bellerin.

All sorted.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I need you seal of approval, Toby. Watching him regulary does he have "it" to succeed here?

I actually think this is a fair assessment:

Hope the club are thinking about giving him a chance, looks to have everything you want in a CB and seems to be putting it together now.

[...]think Mavro deserves a chance to play with him next seaon.

He's very well rounded, he's getting more and more consistent with his passing also getting better again. Very physical, pacy, beast in the air, dangerous at corners, good 1vs1, can break forward, some of the best stats in the league amongst CBs.

Will he become a worldclass defender for a PL and CL challenging side? Don't know. Does he have a lot of potential, a very complete and modern profile? Yes. Is he having a good season putting it together after a string of injuries? Yes. Should he get a chance at regular football at Arsenal, especially considering other right footed options at Arsenal? Yes.

Thing with him though, I feel, is this: He seems a player who needs to play regularly. He's definitely not someone like say Holding's a bit like, that when you throw 'em in after a while on the bench they will mostly give you solid perfomances. My impression is Mavropanos really needs to play to get into rhythm, at least right now and the short term future. So imo it's either give him a shot challenging someone else for a starting spot at right CB with regular game time, or sell/loan.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I actually think this is a fair assessment:

He's very well rounded, he's getting more and more consistent with his passing also getting better again. Very physical, pacy, beast in the air, dangerous at corners, good 1vs1, can break forward, some of the best stats in the league amongst CBs.

Will he become a worldclass defender for a PL and CL challenging side? Don't know. Does he have a lot of potential, a very complete and modern profile? Yes. Is he having a good season putting it together after a string of injuries? Yes. Should he get a chance at regular football at Arsenal, especially considering other right footed options at Arsenal? Yes.

Thing with him though, I feel, is this: He seems a player who needs to play regularly. He's definitely not someone like say Holding's a bit like, that when you throw 'em in after a while on the bench they will mostly give you solid perfomances. My impression is Mavropanos really needs to play to get into rhythm, at least right now and the short term future. So imo it's either give him a shot challenging someone else for a starting spot at right CB with regular game time, or sell/loan.

Both Gabriel and Mavropanos are only going be 24 next year, they could be the foundation of our team for a long time, if they can form a partnership.

None of our other CBs can be the long term solution (bar Saliba, but unsure what's gonna happen with him) had some hope for Holding, but feel he will only be good enough to be our 3rd choice defender...whereas you look at Dinos and think he could be that starter, hope he gets a chance.

Toby

Both Gabriel and Mavropanos are only going be 24 next year, they could be the foundation of our team for a long time, if they can form a partnership.

None of our other CBs can be the long term solution (bar Saliba, but unsure what's gonna happen with him) had some hope for Holding, but feel he will only be good enough to be our 3rd choice defender...whereas you look at Dinos and think he could be that starter, hope he gets a chance.

Actually thinking as the club is in the middle of this "process" anyway a CB roster of Gabriel and Mari + Mavropanos, Holding and possibly Saliba has enough quality and upside.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Actually thinking as the club is in the middle of this "process" anyway a CB roster of Gabriel and Mari + Mavropanos, Holding and possibly Saliba has enough quality and upside.
No leadership on the back end, we must retain David Luiz for the vibes and championship mentality.

Toby

No leadership on the back end, we must retain David Luiz for the vibes and championship mentality.

Nah. Thought about this, too, but came to the conlusion of letting that develop. Gabriel is too old to have someone in front of him but has enough quality already, Mari is a neat backup. Left CB settled. Holding is a decent backup, Saliba a talent and Mavro 23/24 so in the exact same bracket as Gabriel age and quality regarding - you don't want someone in front of them taking game time away.

You might think about keeping Luiz, but the big ifs are: is he actually that much of a leadership person and second aren't his wages far too high for 5 to 10 appearances so he can be a supposed leader? E.g. Waldemar Anton is 24, Gregor Kobel 23, and they're doing a fantastic job at central CB in a 3 and GK in terms of communication and leadership at Stuttgart. I would neither extend Luiz nor sign another old CB just for leadership. Let guys like Gabriel and Mavro grow into that.

The one I'd say who definitely has to take a step up in communication and leadership regards is Leno. He's 29, playing his 10th or even 11th season as a first choice GK in a European top flight league, but just seems a bit restrained and not vocal enough for that. Especially when I see someone like a 23 year old Kobel every weekend who's organizing his defence, pushing his teammates, etc.

Edit: I just realized you probably intended this as a joke:facepalm: :lol:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Nah. Thought about this, too, but came to the conlusion of letting that develop. Gabriel is too old to have someone in front of him but has enough quality already, Mari is a neat backup. Left CB settled. Holding is a decent backup, Saliba a talent and Mavro 23/24 so in the exact same bracket as Gabriel age and quality regarding - you don't want someone in front of them taking game time away.

You might think about keeping Luiz, but the big ifs are: is he actually that much of a leadership person and second aren't his wages far too high for 5 to 10 appearances so he can be a supposed leader? E.g. Waldemar Anton is 24, Gregor Kobel 23, and they're doing a fantastic job at central CB in a 3 and GK in terms of communication and leadership at Stuttgart. I would neither extend Luiz nor sign another old CB just for leadership. Let guys like Gabriel and Mavro grow into that.

The one I'd say who definitely has to take a step up in communication and leadership regards is Leno. He's 29, playing his 10th or even 11th season as a first choice GK in a European top flight league, but just seems a bit restrained and not vocal enough for that. Especially when I see someone like a 23 year old Kobel every weekend who's organizing his defence, pushing his teammates, etc.

Edit: I just realized you probably intended this as a joke:facepalm: :lol:
Well documented of my disdain for David Luiz but I do appreciate the sound logic my man, I am in favour of moving forward next year with that core five with the potential of Chambers in as opposed to Rob Holding.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Decent performance from Mavropanos again.
What do we do with this guy in the Summer? Great profile, puts up very respectable numbers and wins a lot of duels. But so many bodies at CB at the moment. As an RCB, he has potentially Luiz (if we extend), Chambers and Holding all vying for that spot. Then Saliba coming back from his loan spell too. That's way too many.

I'd sooner sell Chambers and Holding, think we need a clean break from them and to reinvent the profile of our squad to include more athleticism and duel-winning capabilities both on and off the ball. Mavropanos goes some way to solving that IMO. It's lacking a bit of experience but Mavropanos isn't much younger than those other guys. Think Arteta's just fine with a good crop of defenders young or old - it's the attack and midfield so far I'm worried about with him.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
What do we do with this guy in the Summer? Great profile, puts up very respectable numbers and wins a lot of duels. But so many bodies at CB at the moment. As an RCB, he has potentially Luiz (if we extend), Chambers and Holding all vying for that spot. Then Saliba coming back from his loan spell too. That's way too many.

I'd sooner sell Chambers and Holding, think we need a clean break from them and to reinvent the profile of our squad to include more athleticism and duel-winning capabilities both on and off the ball. Mavropanos goes some way to solving that IMO. It's lacking a bit of experience but Mavropanos isn't much younger than those other guys. Think Arteta's just fine with a good crop of defenders young or old - it's the attack and midfield so far I'm worried about with him.
I think we sell i don't think he staying to be 4th-5th choice anything between 10-15M we should sell

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
I think we will sell too, but it's not ideal when we have defenders worse than him getting regular games for us.
That's depends on mikel for me I'd sell holding Chambers keep him Saliba Gabriel and Mari but after holding signing extention i don't think he leaving

LG10

It’s him or Saliba. We’ll most likely sell him and give saliba a chance next season which is the right move

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That's depends on mikel for me I'd sell holding Chambers keep him Saliba Gabriel and Mari but after holding signing extention i don't think he leaving
Gabriel
Mari
Saliba
Mavropanos

Much stronger 4 than the current 4 we usually rotate between. Although maybe a bit unfair on Luiz as he hasn't been terrible but he's made grave errors many times for us.

We have to trim the right kind of fat this Summer yet even in defence I don't see us doing it.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
I think he has a very high ceiling and is someone we will regret if we let go. Agree with @MutableEarth that we need more atchleticism in the team and this guy is a beast physically.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Let him and Rob Hokding have a boxing match. Winner stays, loser gets their contract ripped up.

Iceman10

Established Member
Don’t renew Luiz. Sell one of Chambers and Holding, should be Chambers, and force Mikel into making something from Saliba and Mavro. That’s what the board should be forcing on Arteta, and it should really be Edu’s job to do so. If Mikel is saying he needs time to see through a project it isn’t sincere unless he is actually committed to a coherent project.

Otherwise, sell Mavro and Chambers to buy a top quality RCB, but anything other than that that doesn’t work out as instant top quality would be unforgivable as far as Arteta and Edu (and owners/board) are concerned.

Gabriel, Mari
Mavro, Holding, Saliba

Would be passable for an acceptable bunch of CB’s for next season, but only because there is so much to prioritise with CM, RB, AMC, etc. first with limited budget that doesn’t make brining in a 40-50m RCB seem realistic. Might be borderline for next season, will have to see how it goes and replace the weakest RCB player with sure quality the following summer.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom