• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 736,597
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Martinelli - Jesus - Saka
XX - Øde
Rice - Caicedo
Gabriel - Saliba - White
Ramsdale​

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Well, a man can dream. Really would like to see that lineup if they both come. And not like some inverted ****ed up out of position bullshit, but the real WM with two proper halfbacks that have the engines to cover the whole pitch.

Guess it's more likely we continue to invert Zinchenko though. Starting out as LB but this in possession

Rice - Øde
Zinny - Caicedo
Gabriel - Saliba - White
Ramsdale​

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Well, a man can dream. Really would like to see that lineup if they both come. And not like some inverted ****ed up out of position bullshit, but the real WM with two proper halfbacks that have the engines to cover the whole pitch.

Guess it's more likely we continue to invert Zinchenko though. Starting out as LB but this in possession

Rice - Øde
Zinny - Caicedo
Gabriel - Saliba - White
Ramsdale​

I like this formation, between Rice & Caicedo they have the athleticism to cover the defensive deficiencies we get with Zinny. I think it would work well.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

From all the noises out there it seems pretty reasonable to think that we're going to be targeting two CMs this window. Ideally we get Rice and Caicedo, that would be unbelievable, but there are other options that would seriously improve us.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I would go Rice as the 8 and Caicedo in the Partey role. Honestly, if that was our midfield, the amount of transition opportunities we would create as well as the way we could pen teams in. It would be devastating. One can hope.

I would go the opposite. So Rice CDM, Caicedo LCM.

Reason being Rice’ best attribute is intercepting and driving with the ball, attributes suited to a DM. Whereas Caicedo could be a weapon when counter pressing high up the pitch. He hunts the ball down. He’s also a lot better than Rice at chasing back to win the ball. Feel he’d be better at covering Zinchenko.

Also, the further forward you are, the more nimble you need to be in tight spaces. This suits Caicedo more than Rice aswell.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I would go the opposite. So Rice CDM, Caicedo LCM.

Reason being Rice’ best attribute is intercepting and driving with the ball, attributes suited to a DM. Whereas Caicedo could be a weapon when counter pressing high up the pitch. He hunts the ball down. He’s also a lot better than Rice at chasing back to win the ball. Feel he’d be better at covering Zinchenko.

Also, the further forward you are, the more nimble you need to be in tight spaces. This suits Caicedo more than Rice aswell.

Personally, I disagree. I don't think we want the DM to drive out our own half, I think we want our CM to be doing that. Xhaka has many opportunities to drive and simply can't.

They can both press but Caicedo is simply better on the ball. He is more agile, he positions his body better when receiving.

However, it is an agree to disagree situation. I have said from the very beginning that Arteta wants both because they can both play 8 and 6. The fact that there is a debate about who is best where proves it.

It allows for more positional rotation and patterns. I can easily see them swapping in the same game. Rice holds Caicedo goes and vice versa. It poses a different threat.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Personally, I disagree. I don't think we want the DM to drive out our own half, I think we want our CM to be doing that. Xhaka has many opportunities to drive and simply can't.

They can both press but Caicedo is simply better on the ball. He is more agile, he positions his body better when receiving.

However, it is an agree to disagree situation. I have said from the very beginning that Arteta wants both because they can both play 8 and 6. The fact that there is a debate about who is best where proves it.

It allows for more positional rotation and patterns. I can easily see them swapping in the same game. Rice holds Caicedo goes and vice versa. It poses a different threat.
Definitely can see both swapping in a game. Ødegaard movement also will be adjusted based on who is playing as 8

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Rice - Øde
Zinny - Caicedo
Gabriel - Saliba - White
Ramsdale​

Yes this is possible, but you are also likely to see Zinchenko or Caicedo as the #8, with Rice deeper in the average positioning. A more balanced split, with defenders in defensive positions and vice versa.

Doesnt really matter though, because its about positioning on the pitch depending on the game situation. You could see White moving into midfield, Ødegaard into the defensive midfield 2, Caicedo out wide, and same with Zinchenko. The main thing here is that the players understand the different positional requirements and can adapt their game to perform the needed role.

lomekian

Essays are my thing

Also, Rice has been the left sided CM for West Ham for some time, and for England when they double pivot. His heat maps show him barely setting foot on the right side of the pitch. In the current system he is undoubtedly a left 8, as it is a primarily off the ball role with some transition responsibilities.

But ultimately, given that Arteta changes his system every year, and is clearly looking to be able to have different systemic options, we can't do much more than speculate.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yes this is possible, but you are also likely to see Zinchenko or Caicedo as the #8, with Rice deeper in the average positioning. A more balanced split, with defenders in defensive positions and vice versa.

Doesnt really matter though, because its about positioning on the pitch depending on the game situation. You could see White moving into midfield, Ødegaard into the defensive midfield 2, Caicedo out wide, and same with Zinchenko. The main thing here is that the players understand the different positional requirements and can adapt their game to perform the needed role.
I personally don't think we'll see Caicedo as the 8. Zinny I'd agree on, I'd even put him there right away, but inverting from LB to LAM is a long way and we'd have to give up having four at the back

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Both are young and will develop a lot more. Caicedo probably has the higher ceiling.

On form Partey is a clear level above both atm. But how much can we really count on an in form Partey..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould
Top Bottom