• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I thought the pandemic CL format in one city with no second legs was a winner.

Gave me World Cup vibes. I know they love second legs because more matches mean more money but I’m tired of it.

Even the field so every group game isn’t irrelevant by putting wage caps in place and the standard in the groups improves.

Wage caps would have to be imposed nationally via each club's respective FAs, surely based on the financial strength of their league. UEFA can not place the same wage cap on the Primiera Lige as it does on the PL, I wouldn't think.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Having smelt the coffee a wee bit it's abundantly clear that you're not gonna get government legislation, 50+1 or any such sweeping changes to the fundamental ownership structure of English football. I mean very obviously these people own the clubs, you can't just wish that away or requisition them, and even if you could requisition them there is 0% chance that a hyper neoliberal conservative government is going to be the one to do it. The most you might get, if you're lucky, is mandatory fan consultations.

So clearly the core of the super league idea isn't going away, it's not been defeated, it's just been heavily wounded by a laughably bad PR fiasco. This probably forces the decision-makers, who thought they were the smartest people in the room, to actually go out and hire the smartest people in the room, who over the course of the next couple of years will work on and develop the idea.

Eventually it will come back, with much better branding, with much better preparation, and with all the necessary big clubs actually on board (this idea goes nowhere without Bayern for example), and people will accept it.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Having smelt the coffee a wee bit it's abundantly clear that you're not gonna get government legislation, 50+1 or any such sweeping changes to the fundamental ownership structure of English football. I mean very obviously these people own the clubs, you can't just wish that away or requisition them, and even if you could requisition them there is 0% chance that a hyper neoliberal conservative government is going to be the one to do it. The most you might get, if you're lucky, is mandatory fan consultations.

So clearly the core of the super league idea isn't going away, it's not been defeated, it's just been heavily wounded by a laughably bad PR fiasco. This probably forces the decision-makers, who thought they were the smartest people in the room, to actually go out and hire the smartest people in the room, who over the course of the next couple of years will work on and develop the idea.

Eventually it will come back, with much better branding, with much better preparation, and with all the necessary big clubs actually on board (this idea goes nowhere without Bayern for example), and people will accept it.

They just need to tweak the idea slightly. Have a 30 team competition with the 15 founding members or whatever it is and then have 15 spaces based on league qualification for teams in the top leagues (minor leagues will be tossed aside because nobody will care about them). Split the teams into two groups where they play each other once and then the top 4 in each group go into straight knockout quarter finals (highest finishing team gets home advantage all the way to the final).

Their mistake was making it a closed shop. If they open it up a little bit and give other teams something to play for nobody will care. UEFA getting ****ed in the process won’t really bother too many.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Our participation in the Super League was Kroenke's way of financing the club with the capital it needs, he knows that we wont be getting the money we need in any other way.

Which is why Kroenke needs to go, and we need a billionare owner who will invest in the club. First, to help us recover the Covid losses and second, to build the team.

As @Iceman10 says, we are on our way down now. Midtable mediocrity with rubbish football is going to be the norm for us from now on. This only changes with City/Chelsea like financial injections.

The goodness of Arsenal Football Club has now completely left with Wenger, we are now a soulless, struggling corporate machine, instead of a corporate machine with some love for us supporters.

Agree, except for 50+1 which would have all owners leave entirely, eventually.

It's easy to do actually, but we know the world of power, so it isnt

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
City is Abu Dhabi, PSG is Qatar, what interests are they sharing exactly? Qatar was under a Saudi & UAE boycott as near as last year. If anything, they are rivals. City backing out will have had a lot to do with the positive press PSG got for not joining.

Sharing interest in the sense of having their own uni-dimensional power play and aren't really interested in corporation with Americans.

It's soo obvious that City was dragged into it first because they didnt want to be left behind.
Why should City change anything ?
Rich as ****, not doing much but being born rich and want to have a toy and be the best with it.
Of course, at the same time, they are likely to make less money with the ESL, not irrelevant.

The others wants to make money and nothing else. The ESL broke down because of City and indirectly before with PSG because it didnt fit their own wishes.

Similarly, Bayern is just being a bit more clever, nothing heroic there.

Vicki

Perez obviously a hypocrite there, but so is UEFA and I hate it so much.

Also, as much as I'd like to see it as a win of the people, the main factor probably was City and them sharing interests with PSG rather than the others.

Don't think the fans have been the main player there, probably not even the government, just the sheihks not going along
Yeah, Arab = Bad, we all get that

But...

Why then didn't the Germans ( Bayern, BVB ) go along with their Anglo-Saxon brothers ( Arsenal, Man U, LFC ) ?

Or the Iberians ( Porto ) side with their siblings ( Real, Atlético, Barça ) ?

Funny old World, isn't it?

🤔

Vicki

City is Abu Dhabi, PSG is Qatar, what interests are they sharing exactly? Qatar was under a Saudi & UAE boycott as near as last year. If anything, they are rivals. City backing out will have had a lot to do with the positive press PSG got for not joining.
Indeed

Vicki

Sharing interest in the sense of having their own uni-dimensional power play and aren't really interested in corporation with Americans.

Similarly, Bayern is just being a bit more clever, nothing heroic there.
OK, ignore my last post

I don't agree, but I accept this opinion of yours

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Yeah, Arab = Bad, we all get that

But...

Why then didn't the Germans ( Bayern, BVB ) go along with their Anglo-Saxon brothers ( Arsenal, Man U, LFC ) ?

Or the Iberians ( Porto ) side with their siblings ( Real, Atlético, Barça ) ?

Funny old World, isn't it?

🤔

Not talking about every Arab, that's pretty convenient, isnt it ?
I have many friends who are.
Really not feeling responding to something like that because it's so cheap.

Bayern would've joined eventually if it happened, their board even showed signs of will over the last years, it's just a VERY different world over here without owners.
The Bundesliga isn't at the state of the PL yet, there no 6 men deciding the fate of 6 clubs.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
They just need to tweak the idea slightly. Have a 30 team competition with the 15 founding members or whatever it is and then have 15 spaces based on league qualification for teams in the top leagues (minor leagues will be tossed aside because nobody will care about them). Split the teams into two groups where they play each other once and then the top 4 in each group go into straight knockout quarter finals (highest finishing team gets home advantage all the way to the final).

Their mistake was making it a closed shop. If they open it up a little bit and give other teams something to play for nobody will care. UEFA getting ****ed in the process won’t really bother too many.

True, I also think there'll be more joint leagues. So Beneliga will be a thing where the Belgian and Dutch leagues merge. Potentially the Scottish and English leagues could merge. Spain and Portugal could merge, France and Switzerland, Germany and Austria etc etc. So the best teams in the minor leagues don't get excluded. The problem there is you absolutely kill teams like Kilmarnock and such, but it looks like that's just the direction football is going in.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The leagues doing it together in gatherings seemingly really would cover all what I've seen UEFA produce noteworthy
Actually there is a reason. First you'd surely have to ask why is there a need for an FA? The answer is the same and it is what serves as "insulation" against ideas like the ESL being pushed through without discussion or opposition. The Premier League represents the clubs in it, whoever they might be as it is not a closed shop, and the FA in theory defends the entire "football family". This ensures decisions are taken which don't leave some clubs out of the picture.

UEFA (then FIFA) replicate this at higher levels.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Actually there is a reason. First you'd surely have to ask why is there a need for an FA? The answer is the same and it is what serves as "insulation" against ideas like the ESL being pushed through without discussion or opposition. The Premier League represents the clubs in it, whoever they might be as it is not a closed shop, and the FA in theory defends the entire "football family". This ensures decisions are taken which don't leave some clubs out of the picture.

UEFA (then FIFA) replicate this at higher levels.

I get your points, but why isn't it just possible to have the higher levels representing the leagues as a whole come together for big decisions to avoid this higher intermediary just acting in their own interests ?

Of course, humans are prone to do that in every possible hierarchical structure, it's part of life, but surely, it's better as what's presented with the UEFA.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

This one's my favourite.

EzkKUjDXEAMwF1M

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
If that Perez interview had been a real interview and not a public fawning someone would have, at least, asked him to remind them of how many trophies the Sp uds have won in the last 20 years.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsene Who?

Headlines of English media when Arsène was announced as new manager of Arsenal in 1996

Latest posts

Top Bottom