• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Why the anti-coquellin vibe? He's been a great partner for Santi and El Nenny. He's good enough. Our system next year will determine if he's a starter or not.
Some people are still pissed about the brainless sending off against Sp**s. Cost us the game there.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
My opinion on him is relatively unchanged - I still consider him a valuable squad member. He's proven he can start games (big/small) and do a job - he's proven he's a highly proficient ball-winner and at the very least, he is technically capable without being especially great in possession.

He just wasn't the guy to help us build an elite first XI - but I see no reason why he can't go on to be a relatively prominent member of an elite squad (if we ever get far enough towards building an elite XI let alone squad).

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He's technically very good , good short passer , lousy long range passer . Team might as well get back in defensive structure as soon as he goes long .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
:lol::lol:

What I find funny is that we have a decent defensive record despite the clear lack of a defensive system. Mind boggling.
If there's one thing we do well defensively, we are extremely good at getting into a shape. It's about the only thing we get right consistently :lol: - on a good day that shape can actually stay compact :lol:

Pressing? Man-marking? None of that sh*t tbh - just the shape.

If there's one thing we do well defensively, we are extremely good at getting into a shape. It's about the only thing we get right consistently :lol: - on a good day that shape can actually stay compact :lol:

The opposite team gets way to easily through our shape, that is a huge problem.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I've noticed that, it's simply get into shape and wait for the opposition to make a mistake. I remember 13/14 where we saw out so many games with that 'tactic'.

Nerve-wracking for the fans. Selfish club.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I've noticed that, it's simply get into shape and wait for the opposition to make a mistake. I remember 13/14 where we saw out so many games with that 'tactic'.

Nerve-wracking for the fans. Selfish club.
We didn't even have a shape before that to be fair. I think a lot of that has to do with Steve Bould. It's a start, basically, but it needs more impetus and a cohesive strategy. Are we gonna win the ball straight back or control the space? We seem to flit between the two and never do one specifically.

Wilshere did an interview stating that they were working on a counterpressing strategy but I've never seen Arsenal do it that effectively save for a few games. I'd love to see us employ it somehow.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Bad passer of the ball, wrong attitude for a title winning side.

Does his job fine, but since sometime I've felt we aren't going anywhere with as starter. Hopefully that will change next season, squaddie he is.

So Coquelin has a wrong mentality for a title winning side yet Ramsey is a brilliant brilliant character? Please do elaborate, because I might misinterpret your quotes; but as I see it - character wise - Coquelin is pure passion and Ramsey is trying to become Wales' next topmodel.

He is a squaddie though, nobody will deny that. Useful in tough away matches or when we need to set up shop to defend a slender lead.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don't see why Coq is a squaddie, our best midfield next season is probably Coq/Xhaka. A lot of people here seems to misunderstand Xhaka if they think he's the type of midfielder who can defend the midfield by himself, and they are not appreciating how much Xhaka relies on Mahmoud Dahoud. Coq has already proven how irreplaceable he was when we played that goddamn awful Ramsey/El Neny partnership, and I suspect a lot of people will remember why they wanted Arteta replaced in 2013/2014 when they see Ramsey/Xhaka in action next season.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
People's short memory is astounding. He was so solid in the first half of the campaign. Offers enough on the ball, and so much more off the ball. Did need some time to get back in form after the injury and I'm still pissed about his idiotic red card against Sp**s.

If we don't get Kanté, my bet is that Coq/Xhaka is the initial pairing, with possibilities of Xhaka/Wilshere/Cazorla against weaker sides.

I'm totally fine with Coquelin being close to the first XI, that isn't a sign of lack of ambition, rather I reckon an improvement in other areas gives us more and we can't replace half the outfield squad in one window. I'm with Wenger on that instability issue, especially in a tournament summer which messes with the prep.

Coquelin is a very good player.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Whether he's in the first 11 or a fringe player we shouldn't even be thinking of selling him. Some fans have a weird fascination that every player needs to be world class.

N

NotAUserName

Xhaka is here to replace Coquelin in the starting line-up, there's no doubt about that. Maybe we'll see them together when trying to close a match but that's it.

Still, we shouldn't sell him. How many teams have a better second choice defensive midfielder?

ksarp

Xhaka is here to replace Coquelin in the starting line-up, there's no doubt about that. Maybe we'll see them together when trying to close a match but that's it.

Still, we shouldn't sell him. How many teams have a better second choice defensive midfielder?

A colossal mistake if Xhaka starts as a 6. Coq should start at the 6, Xhaka at 8. If Xhaka starts as 6, it will be a long day.

N

NotAUserName

A colossal mistake if Xhaka starts as a 6. Coq should start at the 6, Xhaka at 8. If Xhaka starts as 6, it will be a long day.
And that's why you partner Xhaka with someone who is good defensively as wells as offensively. A box-to-box midfielder like Ramsey.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Not necessarily - that kinda defeats the purpose of signing Xhaka in the first place. Coquelin as the 6 may prove to be an uber cautious move in lieu of his defensive abilities, but if we push Xhaka too far forward, we lose his distribution ability in the first phase - unless we look to plant both he and Coq in the first phase which would be a bad idea as we would have no link between them and the furthermost 4 players. Coq will have no impact in possession as the 6 - I actually think Coq would be a better 8 in this scenario. A roaming ball-winner, with decent dribbling ability - a bit like Blaise Matuidi. Push Coq further forward while we're in possession (if you watch us closely, Coquelin does this anyway) and have Xhaka hang back.

The key IMO is the midfielder who accompanies Xhaka in the pivot - the midfielder has to have attacking and defensive capabilities. Last season, Xhaka played alongside a young midfielder in Dahoud who displayed both attacking and defensive qualities. Coq-Xhaka IMO could be too defensive - it's a pairing that would do very well in closing out a game and perhaps springing an effective counter attack in the last stages of a game but I don't think it would be our best combination in other scenarios other than those that require utmost defensive stability, which I would be careful of in terms of our attacking game.

I think Xhaka in the 6 should have a partner who is both skilled at dribbling, is good at ball-winning and can contribute attacking-wise. Ramsey at his best would be a good shout, as would Wilshere but I think all our options while good aren't necessarily the most complementary but we could get them to work. We signed Xhaka primarily because he can defend in the 6 but more importantly he can distribute quickly and effectively - long and short. Coq cannot do that as well as Xhaka.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I think Xhaka in the 6 should have a partner who is both skilled at dribbling, is good at ball-winning and can contribute attacking-wise. Ramsey at his best would be a good shout, as would Wilshere but I think all our options while good aren't necessarily the most complementary but we could get them to work. We signed Xhaka primarily because he can defend in the 6 but more importantly he can distribute quickly and effectively - long and short. Coq cannot do that as well as Xhaka.
That's my only worry, they're all close to being ideal but each is missing one or two crucial attribute which could make the partnership perfect (on paper).

Reckon Wenger realises this but he won't tear up the midfield in one summer. He'll bank on Wilshere picking up some defensive nous, Elneny developing or Ramsey simply returning to his 13/14 self. Not a bad decision imo, the midfield would still be decent even if none of those things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom