• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Top Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'm actually amazed how he wasn't able to get on the ball at all, and a few times he did he did some stupid flicks and lost the ball.
Saka comes in and he is constantly on the ball playing the same role, so can't even blame Arteta there as it's obviously on the individual.

How long will it take to understand that he doesn't do well on the wing?

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'm actually amazed how he wasn't able to get on the ball at all, and a few times he did he did some stupid flicks and lost the ball.
Saka comes in and he is constantly on the ball playing the same role, so can't even blame Arteta there as it's obviously on the individual.

How long will it take to understand that he doesn't do well on the wing?
I don’t know how it’s come about that he’s a winger. His first appearances under Emery he was playing up front and scored the majority of his goals there. For Brazil in the Olympics he was playing up top in a two when he got on.

He doesn’t have the dribbling or 1v1 ability to play out wide, he’s a striker in the Luis Suarez mold - CLEARLY nowhere near that level, but that’s how he needs to be used.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Not a winger. Playing there and injuries have really hindered his development.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
This guy has the same weaknesses as Auba and hasnt developed one bit since that europe league run.
He needs regular game time but I don't think that's completely fair. He had very good attacking numbers last season but just lacked the end product. You can see from the eye test that he has strength's as well. Pace, acceleration, movement, good in the air for his age, tenacity, instinct, range of finishes.

I don't think you can say 100% what his final level is but he definitely has bags of talent. Guys only 20, never played not than a few matches in a top league. What was Ivan Toney doing at 20 for example.

Maybe a loan or a half season loan at least is best for his development right now though.

TheDrunkenMaster

He needs regular game time but I don't think that's completely fair. He had very good attacking numbers last season but just lacked the end product. You can see from the eye test that he has strength's as well. Pace, acceleration, movement, good in the air for his age, tenacity, instinct, range of finishes.

I don't think you can say 100% what his final level is but he definitely has bags of talent. Guys only 20, never played not than a few matches in a top league. What was Ivan Toney doing at 20 for example.

Maybe a loan or a half season loan at least is best for his development right now though.
I thought we would be amazing but his all round game simply isn’t improving. He is one footed, can’t pass or create, dribbling is terrible. His best performances came as a cf being in the box getting onto the end of chances taking as less contacts as possible. I only see him making it here as a striker long term

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It is because you don't understand his qualities.

He isn't a give-me-the-ball player, ball dominant player, but that doesn't mean he wasn't good tonight, ball-dominant players like Saka seems to be better visually that doesn't mean they actually are.

In fact Arsenal was playing better with Martineli on the pitch (as usual, 0.63 for x 0.43 against expected goals going by Understat) and he did a lot of work in terms of pressures and recovering the ball as well as making intelligent runs, off-the-ball work etc... but he was largely limited because of the unbalanced lineup.
You need to have ESR plus at least one from Willian, Saka to balance the team. . Pepe, Balogun, Auba, Martinelli, even Laca all need at least two ball-progressors, ball-dominant players around them to exceed.

Martinelli is a good example of a ceiling raiser player rather than floor raiser player btw.
Really smart posting, especially that last paragraph. That type of understanding is often missing on here.

Regardless it’s going to be hard to judge players this season, Arteta’s dark energy is in full effect.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I thought we would be amazing but his all round game simply isn’t improving. He is one footed, can’t pass or create, dribbling is terrible. His best performances came as a cf being in the box getting onto the end of chances taking as less contacts as possible. I only see him making it here as a striker long term
I get the frustration but his underlying numbers - from a very patchy, low sample size of minutes last season - was very good.

xA was 92nd percentile; npg xA + xG was 98th percentile. His dribbling completed was pretty good as well (2.4 per 90/ 80th percentile). Look at the the pressing and defensive numbers as well. These are mostly from playing left wing.

I doubt he can sustain these with higher numbers of minutes, but there is a very promising player there for sure. Needs game time to develop now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-14-12-53-47-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-14-12-53-47-52.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3

KingT

I think it’s harsh that people are saying his progress has stalled as it’s only been 1 game. Didn’t help our fans were overrating him and saying he should get the 11 number and etc. Let the season play out a bit and don’t be in a rush to crown him

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I think it’s harsh that people are saying his progress has stalled as it’s only been 1 game. Didn’t help our fans were overrating him and saying he should get the 11 number and etc. Let the season play out a bit and don’t be in a rush to crown him
It's been more than 1 game tbf, this guy can barely pass 5 yards he should never be left wing ever.

CF, loan out whilst Arteta is here or don't bother.

Black Noir

score doubled figures goals under Emery and showed so much promise at CF. Work rate, positioning look on point and look very good on air, looked to have a decent header on him.?He has regressed because of injuries and Arteta yes was non existent but never liked him as wide player anyways.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Either give him minutes at CF, or loan him out so that he can get minutes at CF.

The lad's not a winger, not now, not ever. He doesn't impact the game beyond his work rate when he's deployed there. At CF his nose for getting himself into goalscoring opportunities makes a difference.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
A just turned 20 year old started less than 10 games in a year clearly following his managers directions to stretch the defence and makes runs being destroyed because he wasnt getting on the ball enough?

Would've been a bit more interesting if there had been any chances coming in from the right side of the pitch he could've got on the end of. Not a great performance but definitely helped the defence and was constantly looking for balls he was never provided with.

This rubbish of sending him away after one less than stellar performance is a joke, hes normally quite good on the ball and constantly looking to move it forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom