• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Was exactly my worry before we signed him. But the obsession with the DLP (deep lying playmakers) was in full swing. The idea he’d be plopping long diagonal balls onto the feet of wide men and strikers was like a FIFA fantasy. The reality was different. Always said we needed someone with more to their game.

I don't think it was an outlandish plan, but there are two sides to the game and while Xhaka's decent at one, he's really poor at the other. He'd do very well in a side that defends deep, surround, by two mobile and tenacious midfielders, but that's not how we set up.

He also doesn't have the guile to drop a shoulder or disguise passes with his body shape which means we end up playing pointless U shaped passes across the pitch when he's pressed.

There's often talk about his errors, but the bar cannot be for a player to get through a game without making mistakes.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I don't think it was an outlandish plan, but there are two sides to the game and while Xhaka's decent at one, he's really poor at the other. He'd do very well in a side that defends deep, surround, by two mobile and tenacious midfielders, but that's not how we set up.

He also doesn't have the guile to drop a shoulder or disguise passes with his body shape which means we end up playing pointless U shaped passes across the pitch when he's pressed.

There's often talk about his errors, but the bar cannot be for a player to get through a game without making mistakes.
We need to talk about the type of errors and frequency of errors. We have possession in our own half, beginning to build an attack and all of a sudden he gifts the ball back catching our own defense by surprise. How can we ignore it if he has the record for errors leading to goals for any outfielder in three years? How can we ignore the unnecessary penalties he conceded?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We need to talk about the type of errors and frequency of errors. We have possession in our own half, beginning to build an attack and all of a sudden he gifts the ball back catching our own defense by surprise. How can we ignore it if he has the record for errors leading to goals for any outfielder in three years? How can we ignore the unnecessary penalties he conceded?

I agree completely.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
On June 15-th, there will be a friendly match between Xhaka brothers team and Rashica (Werder Bremen) team.
It will be to mark the occasion of 20-year anniversary of Kosovo freedom.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think this was one of Ivan's specials. I remember the furore when Wenger misdescribed Xhaka's position and role. He had no idea what to do with him.

Nah he was after him for two seasons , he didnt not know what Xhaka was but he wanted him to play a bigger role because he considered his stamina elite.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

With our injury prone lot, I can understand the thinking but I think Wenger must have been on the optimism drug.

Nah I still think Wenger is one of the greats when it comes to recognising player potential .
By the way if you look at Xhaka's interviews mid year you'll see Emery wanted him to progress further up the pitch as well :lol:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Yep. Wenger wanted Kante but as usual, the club couldn’t deliver.
Didn't he admit he could've had him much earlier for nearly nothing? Not to mention he practically missed out on a golden generation of French players while wasting resources on clowns like Diaby etc. Its unbelievable we haven't got a single one of them apart from Guendouzi who was signed under the new regime.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Didn't he admit he could've had him much earlier for nearly nothing? Not to mention he practically missed out on a golden generation of French players while wasting resources on clowns like Diaby etc. Its unbelievable we haven't got a single one of them apart from Guendouzi who was signed under the new regime.

Diaby was 2 times as good as Guendouzi at 19 though , honestly .

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Diaby was 2 times as good as Guendouzi at 19 though , honestly .
Doubt that but he was 2 times worse in his mind and pretty evidently and unfortunately unable to recover from his injuries. That was just negligent use of clubs resources. But anyway, the original point is, he missed out on a whole host of French talent raining down in the world and completely made a disaster out of our recruitment in his final years.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Doubt that but he was 2 times worse in his mind and pretty evidently and unfortunately unable to recover from his injuries. That was just negligent use of clubs resources. But anyway, the original point is, he missed out on a whole host of French talent raining down in the world and completely made a disaster out of our recruitment in his final years.

No doubt he did .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom