• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 944,158
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonzka

I really want this one to happen.

he’s been on my radar for a while and he plays ball how I like to watch it. And I want more of those on my team.

Squillaci

He'll wait for us and we are going to spend 100 million on Maddison at the end of the window when we sell all we can sell.

Kav

Established Member
Says a lot when Villa doesn't even bother to sign him to replace Grealish
Quite the false narrative. Smith isn’t interested in a player of Aouar’s profile. He wants athletic players and work horses. He plays a counter attacking style that requires considerable off the ball defensive work.

Aouar wouldn’t fit into that team style of play.

Thats like asking why stoke weren’t interested in Iniesta.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Bernardo is not the kind of player who will have you on the edge of your seat, but neither was Santi and we were a completely different tram when he played. I think Silva would transform our football.

Santi had me on the edge of me seat all the time. Most enjoyable to watch list of the Emirates era ?

RVP, Sanches, Santi, prime Özil, Cesc, Nasri, Arshavin.
Maybe even in that order.

Could've forgotten someone, obviously.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Santi had me on the edge of me seat all the time. Most enjoyable to watch list of the Emirates era ?

RVP, Sanches, Santi, prime Özil, Cesc, Nasri, Arshavin.
Maybe even in that order.

Could've forgotten someone, obviously.

I loved watching Santi- he was right up there for me as well. A beautiful technician. I remember PSG focusing their whole game trying to stop Santi by doubling up or even trebling up.on him.

Fair to see he wasn't an exciting player for masses though?

I mean I doubt many junior Gooners were trying to be Santi in the playground.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I loved watching Santi- he was right up there for me as well. A beautiful technician. I remember PSG focusing their whole game trying to stop Santi by doubling up or even trebling up.on him.

Fair to see he wasn't an exciting player for masses though?

I mean I doubt many junior Gooners were trying to be Santi in the playground.

Think Patino just said Santi was his man. Think I've heared it from others.

Almost everyone from our teams and Wenger sais Santi is the best technician and probanly craziest in training also.

People from outside Arsenal say the same.

The Athletic: Aouar is still an option

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

https://theathletic.com/2766303/202...-targeted-in-goal-but-maddison-deal-unlikely/

Currently, Arsenal’s transfer window has the whiff of unfinished business.

Fans entered the window hoping for a substantial overhaul of the squad — and that ambition was reflected among Arsenal’s technical staff. There was hope that, if buyers could be found for certain players, there might be a feeling of revolution at London Colney.

That, however, has proved to be a considerable-sized “if”. The club have experienced difficulty moving on Granit Xhaka, Hector Bellerin and Alexandre Lacazette. After a strong start to the window, in which they signed three young talents — Nuno Tavares, Albert Sambi Lokonga, and £50 million acquisition Ben White — there is a sense that momentum has stalled.

There is, though, still some way to go. Arsenal have believed throughout this window that their business would essentially be conducted in two phases: there were certain targets who could be secured relatively early in the summer, others that they might need to wait for. “In this first period of the transfer window, I think we’ve done a few things that we wanted to do,” manager Mikel Arteta admitted in Thursday’s press conference. “There is still window to go so I’m sure things will happen either way … It’s how deals develop and sometimes what’s not possible to do on 12 August, it’s possible to do on the last day.”

The most pressing priority is the need for a second goalkeeper. The number one target throughout the summer has been Sheffield United’s Aaron Ramsdale. Arteta and his coaching staff believed that Ramsdale could not only provide back-up to Bernd Leno for the forthcoming season, but succeed him next summer. They admired his distribution, both with the ball in his hands and at his feet, and his bravery coming off his line for crosses — areas in which doubts over Leno persist.

Negotiations have been ongoing since the end of last season, but without much success. The clubs met at the Sopwell House hotel close to Arsenal’s training ground on Wednesday, hoping to find some common ground. Arsenal hoped Sheffield United’s willingness to meet in person indicated there would be some movement on their £35 million asking price. When Arsenal’s improved verbal offer of £20 million plus considerable add-ons was rejected out of hand, Arsenal decided to pursue other targets. Any slim hope of the deal being revived would be dependent on Sheffield United dramatically revising their position.

Aaron Ramsdale Sheffield United

Arsenal aren’t willing to pay Sheffield United’s valuation of Ramsdale (Photo: Gareth Copley/PA Images via Getty Images)
And so Arsenal will now look elsewhere. While Ramsdale was envisaged as a future No 1, their intention now is to secure a player regarded solely as a back-up, at a considerably lower fee — or even potentially on loan.

A few weeks ago, Arsenal staff made discreet enquiries about the availability of West Brom’s Sam Johnstone. It is unlikely, however, that they will follow up with formal interest. Johnstone does not fit the profile of goalkeeper they are looking for, and as a member of the England squad would still command a significant fee, with West Brom demanding more than £10 million.

The Athletic understands that Barcelona’s 32-year-old goalkeeper Neto is a target. The Brazilian moved to the Nou Camp from Valencia for an initial €26 million in 2019, but has made just nine La Liga appearances in his time there. Even having shed Lionel Messi, Barcelona are still working to reduce their wage bill, with president Joan Laporta admitting the club may have to sell more players in this window. In the case of Neto, who has two years remaining on his current contract, Arsenal may even be hopeful of striking a loan agreement.

Neto is represented by Kia Joorabchian, who Arsenal have also collaborated with on the signings of David Luiz, Cedric and Willian. The close relationship that exists between Joorabchian and technical director Edu could make a move for Neto expedient. Crucially, this would not be a deal driven purely by relationships — Neto has also been closely assessed by Arsenal’s analysts, and there is a consensus that this could be a sensible solution to a relatively urgent problem.

The other major area of concern is attacking midfield. Arsenal have tied Emile Smith Rowe down to a new long-term contract, but still look light in this area. Since last season, they have effectively lost the on-loan Martin Ødegaard, with a replacement yet to arrive. The club have also accepted an offer for Joe Willock, who has agreed personal terms over a permanent move to Newcastle.

It leaves the club looking for creative reinforcement. Although both Real Madrid and Ødegaard have spoken of the player as an important part of plans at the Bernabeu, Arsenal are yet to give up on signing the man who began the summer as their number one target. It was Ødegaard’s insistence on playing regular first-team football that made a loan deal possible in January — and Arsenal still feel that, if they are to land their man, it will require him to push for the move.

The remaining weeks of the window will be critical. La Liga begins this weekend, and Ødegaard should quickly get an indication of where he ranks in Carlo Ancelotti’s pecking order. If he is unconvinced of his place in the plans, he may become available again — and Arsenal are clear that they are prepared to do what is necessary to sign him.

The familiar name of Houssem Aouar is once more being discussed behind closed doors at Arsenal. Despite lengthy talks last summer, Arsenal failed to agree a price with Lyon, instead turning to Thomas Partey. When January came around, Arsenal’s interest had waned, due to concerns raised in their scouting and background checks.

The economic situation currently afflicting French football, however, presents an opportunity. Even if some at the club harbour concerns over Aouar, there is a growing acceptance that at around €25 million, he would represent an excellent market opportunity. Arsenal are even believed to have enquired about the possibility of taking him on loan.

Arsenal have been linked with a move for James Maddison, but while the player does have admirers within the club, The Athletic understands he is not someone Arsenal are seriously pursuing at this time. Intermediaries are believed to be keen to ‘match-make’ Arsenal with Maddison, given the club’s obvious need for a creative midfielder. So far, however, the club do not appear ready to take the bait.

GettyImages-1012841850.jpg

Aouar might be available for cheaper this summer (Photo: IAN KINGTON/AFP/Getty Images)
It has been reported that the cost of the deal would be prohibitive, and while there are other factors at play, there is some truth in that. The contract Maddison signed with Leicester last year was reported by David Ornstein to be worth £110,000 per week. After a blockbuster move to a ‘big six’ club, he would most likely expect a significant uplift. While Arsenal agreed a £50 million fee for White, his salary is understood to be relatively modest. Ramsdale too would not have been a particularly high earner. While Arsenal’s owners are prepared to support Arteta with substantial transfer fees, there has been a definite attempt to balance the wage bill.

There is a list of creative targets beyond Ødegaard and Aouar, but Arsenal will be reluctant to turn to them, unless perhaps the season gets off to a particularly bad start.

While goalkeeper and attacking midfield are perhaps Arsenal’s priorities, they had hoped to make additions in other areas. Plans in central midfield have been altered by the fact that Xhaka is now staying, and set to sign a new contract. At right-back, they can currently choose from four players: Calum Chambers, Bellerin, Cedric and Ainsley Maitland-Niles. Adding a fifth would leave the squad lop-sided and imbalanced.

Bellerin finds himself in a catch-22: Arteta does not want to lose him without a replacement, but Arsenal can only replace him if a buyer comes to the fore. Talk of a new contract is premature — for now, Bellerin’s preference remains to embrace a new challenge.

And then there’s the striker situation. Arsenal (and Tottenham) were enthused about the prospect of a deal for Lautaro Martinez, but Inter’s decision to instead sell Romelu Lukaku to Chelsea appears to have put paid to those ambitions. There is also interest in Tammy Abraham, who is currently the subject of an approach from Roma.

Again, Arsenal find themselves in a bind. They would like to add a forward, but only if they can find a taker for Lacazette. Roma themselves showed substantial interest in Lacazette last summer, and there have been some suggestions Arsenal may attempt to persuade the Italian club to opt for the Frenchman instead. That would, in turn, free Abraham up for them. These are the moving parts that will make these final few weeks of the window potentially so enthralling.

There’s a way to go yet. It is almost, as Arteta suggests, “another window”. Arsenal still require significant activity for their transfer business to avoid looking like a job half-done.

My good friend James McNicholas.

- Can't find takers for Xhaka, Bellerin, Lacazette
- Now looking for cheap number 2, will consider loan deals
- Looked at Sam Johnstone, won't be pursuing
- Neto from Barca is still an option
- Ødegaard still #1 target
- Auoar still an option but club have reservations after prolonged scouting reports and background checks
- Arsenal want Tammy but can't until Lacazette goes, might offer the latter to Roma
- Maddison has some admirers but Arsenal not pursuing, rather it's intermediaries trying to match make him and Arsenal

Last edited:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If the club are discussing Aouar again I’d actually like Ødegaard to turn us down.
The familiar name of Houssem Aouar is once more being discussed behind closed doors at Arsenal. Despite lengthy talks last summer, Arsenal failed to agree a price with Lyon, instead turning to Thomas Partey. When January came around, Arsenal’s interest had waned, due to concerns raised in their scouting and background checks.

The economic situation currently afflicting French football, however, presents an opportunity. Even if some at the club harbour concerns over Aouar, there is a growing acceptance that at around €25 million, he would represent an excellent market opportunity. Arsenal are even believed to have enquired about the possibility of taking him on loan.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So we're taking another AM on loan instead of fixing the problem, Maddison was never the number 1 target unlike a lot of people here would try to have us believe and we'll be doing Kia a solid favour before the window ends?

Lovely stuff.

Aouar on loan is very wise if their background checks aren't stacking up. Loan him and see if he adapts before splurging 25M on someone you may not think will work.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Aouar on loan is very wise if their background checks aren't stacking up. Loan him and see if he adapts before splurging 25M on someone you may not think will work.

I would rather we fix this permanently. Next summer we'll be looking at CF, RB, CM (if Xhaka ends up not renewing) and GK (if Leno wants to leave) without having to search for an AM.

Mind you, having said all that, if the options aren't good I rather do a Liverpool and wait until our target becomes available. But in this particular case, we should have the whole thing wrapped up as soon as said target's availability presents itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom