• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

How much will we spend?

How much will Arsenal spend in the summer transfer market?

• We'll make a profit

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Under £50m

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • £50m-100m

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • £100m+

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
@dashsnow17 its quite simple, the owner doesn't put anything into it. We're self sustained and that will never change.

The players we're linked with (Leno, Sokratis, Suyuncu and Seri) Would cost £100M as it is. I think our budget will be exactly the same as what it usually is. Around £80M.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Why would you sell Lacazette, who has been on fire lately and looks like he's developing a great partnership with Aubameyang up front, for 60% of what you paid for him last summer?

Doubt Iwobi or Xhaka are going anywhere. Possibly Welbeck if he's not extending. Mustafi probably most likely, but not for £15 million.

Let's run some hypotheticals:
- Le'ts assume the new manager (Arteta) plays some variations of 4-2-3-1, who is going to be the CF?
- Let's also agree that the manager plays with two speedy wingers.
Are we going to keep Laca as a super sup? Will be be happily play that role?
- Who are the most bankable players today in our squad(and the most expendables)?
That is the basis of my arguments and I would be fine at selling both Ramsey and Laca, provided the 80 M we get from them are wisely invested into positions we really need to fill with talents (CM, Wing player, CB).

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
@dashsnow17 its quite simple, the owner doesn't put anything into it. We're self sustained and that will never change.

The players we're linked with (Leno, Sokratis, Suyuncu and Seri) Would cost £100M as it is. I think our budget will be exactly the same as what it usually is. Around £80M.

How do they expect to stay as the 6th richest club if they continually under-invest? Not for a second do I believe they're naive business people, they must surely understand the 'speculate to accumulate' thing.

benjamin86

Established Member
Out of those I would agree on Mustafi & Welbeck but we wont get £20m for Welbeck with one year left on his contract. I guess if Iwobi has a good WC we could cash in.
I think you will get 20-25m for Welbeck just down to competition from premiership clubs. West Ham, Watford, Southampton, Newcastle, Palace maybe even Bournemouth would be interested at that price.

He could go to any of those clubs and be their poster boy as he's clean cut with a good attitude, he might not be the most clinical player but those clubs would value his work ethic a lot higher than we do.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
- Le'ts assume the new manager (Arteta) plays some variations of 4-2-3-1, who is going to be the CF?
- Who are the most bankable players today in our squad(and the most expendables)?
That is the basis of my arguments and I would be fine at selling both Ramsey and Laca, provided the 80 M we get from them are wisely invested into positions we really need to fill with talents (CM, Wing player, CB).

Most top teams have two quality CF's. We're also in the Europa league and while some of your points are valid I think we need to keep both.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
How do they expect to stay as the 6th richest club if they continually under-invest? Not for a second do I believe they're naive business people, they must surely understand the 'speculate to accumulate' thing.

All the while we don't invest 200m+ a summer we'll stay around the 6th richest club level. That won't change with the amount of revenue we get, but you do have to remember Kroenke literally doesn't put a dime into this club.

I believe that stretches all the way to staff etc. So our revenue streams/TV money and such won't just go towards transfers. And compared to the smaller clubs we obviously have a lot more staff, bigger stadium and all that jazz.

At the end of the day the initial budget isn't a problem if we sell off the rest of the deadwood that will not become great players here or help the squad in the way they need to for a title. (Ospina, Chambers, Mustafi, Lucas Perez, Joel Campbell, Akpom, Jenksinon, Welbeck)

Even without Ramsey being sold there's an extra £40-60M in that lot.

Its a shame we don't have a Coutinho that could get us 150m to properly rebuild.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Most top teams have two quality CF's. We're also in the Europa league and while some of your points are valid I think we need to keep both.

I would not say most teams, some do have not most. Bayern or PSG don't for instance. Anyway keeping a 50 M CF as a sub does not seem a great idea. Not to mention that we may quickly have a disgruntled player in hands.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We'll mostly play Lacazzete and Auba together upfront if we failed to buy wingers then there is no need to play with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 we'll have to change our shape to 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.

carlito'sway

Established Member
We'll mostly play Lacazzete and Auba together upfront if we failed to buy wingers then there is no need to play with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 we'll have to change our shape to 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.

True. However I suspect if the manager is Arteta, he may have a clear idea how he wants to play and he will not be far from City style.
The diamond you mentioned though significantly lacks width and is fairly predictable.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
True. However I suspect if the manager is Arteta, he may have a clear idea how he wants to play and he will not be far from City style.
The diamond you mentioned though significantly lacks width and is fairly predictable.
you right about the formation i mentioned could not work in PL because most teams use width but i don't know how we'll play with width and we have nobody.

Vibra

Established Member
Having 2 class strikers is great but it hurts having 2 of our most expensive players playing the same position when there's so many weak points in the team and apparently barely any money to address them.

And I'm nowhere near convinced that playing them both is the best idea long term. It's better than the alternative which is having another striker on the wing in Welbeck but surely that 50 million could have got us a proper winger

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Agreed with @carlito'sway diamond wouldn't work. The best sides in the world that win things regularly will always have 1 main striker with two great wingers. Think of Bayern in the best days of Ribery/Robben. Man City now. Even Liverpool have that balance.

We do not, so thinking about it, if Arteta does come in, and whats been said is true, that he implements his style and its his way or nothing then he will most likely say to Lacazette if you don't want to be on the bench then you can leave.

I think Atletico would come calling personally.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

I would hope that the new manager, whoever he is, would be able to employ a flexible variety of formations (like Guardiola does at City, where Arteta has presumably learned at least something) and not be married to shoehorning his players into a steadfast formation. Pep manages to find a way for Aguero and Jesus to co-exist. There's always a 4-3-3, a 4-3-1-2, a 3-4-1-2 or any number of formations where Lacazette and Aubameyang could continue to display the spark they seem to have developed together. There's always a straight 4-4-2 and a 4-4-2 diamond as well.

But even if you force Lacazette out, why would you sell him for £30 million when you paid £52 million for him just last summer?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

I would hope that the new manager, whoever he is, would be able to employ a flexible variety of formations (like Guardiola does at City, where Arteta has presumably learned at least something) and not be married to shoehorning his players into a steadfast formation. Pep manages to find a way for Aguero and Jesus to co-exist. There's always a 4-3-3, a 4-3-1-2, a 3-4-1-2 or any number of formations where Lacazette and Aubameyang could continue to display the spark they seem to have developed together. There's always a straight 4-4-2 and a 4-4-2 diamond as well.

But even if you force Lacazette out, why would you sell him for £30 million when you paid £52 million for him just last summer?

I'd rather sacrifice Mesut and play 442. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

carlito'sway

Established Member

Assumptions....That is what we do and live for as football fans...If we don't, we can just close A-M. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, disagree on your Pep's comment. It was clear at the end that Jesus was the starting CF and Aguero was/is expandable. Pep is a believer in speed and width.
By the way, I never said to sell him for 30 m, we can easily recoup our money on him. If we sell Ramsey for an other 40 M, that will be a nice kitty to use wisely.

Last edited:

Vibra

Established Member

But Aguero and Jesus barely ever play together and if they do it's in the final 15 minutes of the game. They never start together. The only top team that I can think of that plays 2 strikers is Liverpool and Firmino and Salah are about as far from a conventional striking duo as it gets

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Assumptions....That is what we do and live for as football fans...If we don't, we can just close A-M. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, disagree on Pep option. It was clear at the end that Jesus was the starting CF and Aguero was/is expandable.
By the way, I never said to sell him for 30 m, we can easily recoup our money on him. If we sell Ramsey for an other 40 M, that will be a nice kitty to use wisely.

Well, my original post asked why you would sell Lacazette for 60% of what you paid for him. That was my point more than the actual selling of Lacazette (which I wouldn't do anyway).

Mostly it was injuries that kept Aguero and Jesus from playing together during the times they didn't. Aguero may very well be on the way out now, but when they were together they co-existed quite well together.

But I assume we'll see what happens. :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom