• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonereagle

Re: Karim Benzema!

If we sign Benzema this summer I will take all posts that Rhinosaur series. That is how little chance I think we have of signing Benzema.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I'd be so dissapointed if he doubled our transfer record on Benzema.. I mean hes good and all... but not that good.

qs

Established Member

He is that good. If we could get him for £30m I'd be over the moon

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I guess, as he is better than Adebayor. I'm just concerned about our midfield and would rather see money spent on areas that need it the most.

qs

Established Member

I'd rather see that kind of money go into midfield too but if we replaced Ade with Benzema I think we'd be a better team. And I say that as someone with alot of time for Ade. I just think Benzema is in that top bracket of strikers with Vill and Torres.

Floating

Established Member

qs said:
lagos said:
USArsenal said:
i think Ribery would compensate for the loss of Ade by making the penetrative runs and serving up the likes of RvP and Nik/Eddy/Vela/Theo on a golden platter..

That's my thinking too. An Ade/Benzema in/out is just going to turn out more of the same.

I think Benzema is a level above Adebayor, that being the very top level of players in the world.

:lol:

Zico

Established Member

I think a lot of people underestimate what Adebayor brings to this team. In an ideal world, it would be nice to have a 3-headed attack of Benzema, Arshavin AND Adebayor. I'd be willing to get rid of one or two of the lesser strikers (from amongst Vela, Bendtner and Walcott) to make it happen.

As for Ribery, again, keep Ade. Ade is our most proven goalscorer. He can only be improved by having a world-class creative midfielder behind him. Maybe he could even score the 60 goals that a top striker is supposed to be able to score at Arsenal.

KY

Established Member

Maybe Wenger knows something we don't...about someone key to out team leaving and he's trying to appease fans with the rumours of a major signing before it actually happens to soften the impact...
I smell a conspiracy theory!!!

patrick42uk

Established Member

Benzema is a top tier striker as someone else said. Honestly, we dont have that at the club at this moment and signing him would move us up a level. But lets be real, this is not going to happen. Wenger has never paid this sort of money for anyone and rarely enters in competitive sitations for signings.

outlaw_member

Established Member

NWgunner said:
As has been said, Henry and Trezeguet have both done well at international level. I'm not saying Benzema's s**t, I'm just saying he has a lot to prove before he can be put into the same bracket as Aguero, Pato etc. He hasn't scored goals consistently at the highest level, only the French League. And you also have to remember, excepting this season, Lyon consistently won Ligue 1 while he was banging them in for them. I'm not saying him playing for the best team in the league for a good number of years is the ONLY reason he scored consistently, but if you put Zamora up front for United, he'll score more.

Benzema has done more than Pato and Aguero on the European stage. It's not his fault that he is French, and as a result started his career in the French League. I'd agree that Pato and Aguero are better players, but the gap is no way near as big as your suggesting.

USArsenal said:
?????????????

Henry 48 goals in 111 games
Trez 34 goals in 71 games

Benzema 6 goals in 24 games

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't see this coming from a mile. :p Forget their goal scoring records as it indicates barely anything. Henry and Trezeguet weren't convincing on the International stage, mainly because the French NT has been run by a bunch of cocksuckers. They stifled all of their attacking riches by playing a very defensive formation consisting of 2 DM's. All of their attackers have flattered to decieve other than Ribery and Zidane, both of whom were fortunate enough to be given free roles, thus allowing them to excell. The rest of the attackers such as Henry, Pires, Trezeguet, Dugarry, Djorkaeff, Anelka have been nothing but pawns, and that is exactly why they haven't been able to replicate their club form on the French NT stage. Benzema is no different.,,

nazo

Established Member

Meatwad said:
what next? a sensational bid for ribery.

jeez these tabloids sure know how to rile people up during the silly season.

:lol: Nice prediction.

Benzema and Ribery in the same summer? Who are we? Real Madrid?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

outlaw_member said:
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't see this coming from a mile. :p Forget their goal scoring records as it indicates barely anything. Henry and Trezeguet weren't convincing on the International stage, mainly because the French NT has been run by a bunch of cocksuckers. They stifled all of their attacking riches by playing a very defensive formation consisting of 2 DM's. All of their attackers have flattered to decieve other than Ribery and Zidane, both of whom were fortunate enough to be given free roles, thus allowing them to excell. The rest of the attackers such as Henry, Pires, Trezeguet, Dugarry, Djorkaeff, Anelka have been nothing but pawns, and that is exactly why they haven't been able to replicate their club form on the French NT stage. Benzema is no different.,,
Ehm. Henry broke Platini's record as the best goalscorer of all time for France a few years back. It's downright wrong to say that he hasn't delivered for their national team. Same goes for a whole bunch of the other names on your list.

Anyway, Benzema's struggles for France isn't about ability, it's about Domenech.

ibby

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
Ehm. Henry broke Platini's record as the best goalscorer of all time for France a few years back. It's downright wrong to say that he hasn't delivered for their national team. Same goes for a whole bunch of the other names on your list.
Doesn't mean a thing though, does it? Because a. Platini has a higher GPG ratio and b. if you really look at Henry's goal-scoring record for France it's not all that impressive.

Example, Henry has scored no hat-tricks for France but he has scored 7 braces, these came against: Saudi Arabia, Malta (twice), Egypt, Switzerland, Lithuania and finally Tunisia. None of which are powerhouse teams, in fact, they're all pretty **** really.

To go into more depth, the only 'powerhouse' teams Henry has scored against at interntional level were, Portugal (Euro 2000), Germany (Friendly 2003), Brazil (World Cup 2006), Italy (Euro Qual 2006) and Netherlands (Euro 2008). A total of 5 goals against excellent opposition at international level is pretty poor, and when I say excellent opposition I am pushing it a fair bit, Brazil in 2006 and Germany in 2003 were poor teams.

Performances doesn't do him much justice too.

Now compare him to Platini and see the difference. Or would you like me to?

ibby

Established Member

thegame24 said:
Henry was never played in his key role plus he had to deal with s**t managers.
Henry had a key role, playing as the main striker and in the World Cup in 2002 he was even their main player.

And as for the manager argument, Jacquet and Lemerre are good managers.

Stop trying to sugarcoat it, Henry's goals against **** teams has smokescreened that he has been quite disappointing for his national team and has bottled it numerous times.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

ibby said:
Example, Henry has scored no hat-tricks for France but he has scored 7 braces, these came against: Saudi Arabia, Malta (twice), Egypt, Switzerland, Lithuania and finally Tunisia. None of which are powerhouse teams, in fact, they're all pretty s**t really.
Doesn't mean much in itself though does it? You can only score against what's put in front of you and France haven't met real powerhouse teams terribly often, especially not in competitive matches. Add to that their underwhelming team performances (which certainly wasn't because of Henry) for the last six years, the world cup run apart, and another picture emerges. A lot of the goals he's scored against those "lesser" teams have been very important for a struggling France too.

At the end of the day Henry still has 48 goals for France and a whole bunch of assists. His influence has been very important for them. I don't agree with the opinion that his overall performance has been poor. He's rather been one of their best performers throughout his entire career. That they've struggled against nations like Switzerland and Israel is more a reflection upon the generational and managemental problems in the french national team than on Henry's performances.

ibby

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
Doesn't mean much in itself though does it? You can only score against what's put in front of you and France haven't met real powerhouse teams terribly often, especially not in competitive matches.

Not true. Henry has played 23 games against 'powerhouse' teams during his time for France. The teams are: Italy (6, all competitive), Netherlands (3, 2 competitve), Portugal (3, 2 competitve), England (2, 1 competitive), Germany (3, all friendlies), Spain (3, 1 competitive), Argentina (1, friendly) and Brazil (2, 1 competitive).

So in total he has played a total of 23 games against powerhouse competition, 13 of them competitive with Henry only scoring in 4 of them competitive fixtures. Widen that to all 23 games and Henry has only scored 5 goals against them teams.

At the end of the day Henry still has 48 goals for France and a whole bunch of assists. His overall influence on them has been large. I just don't agree with the opinion that his overall performance has been poor for them. He's rather been one of their best performers throughout his entire career.
I can't find stats but be careful what you say, for example Zidane who you would have thought would have millions of assists in the World Cup only has 3, 2 of which being dead ball situations.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

ibby said:
So in total he has played a total of 23 games against powerhouse competition, 13 of them competitive with Henry only scoring in 3 of them competitive fixtures. Widen that to all 23 games and Henry has only scored 4 goals against them teams.
I can't find those statistics so I take your word for it. It's always about circumstances though. And fact is that France has been a very underperforming team for years. Henry has often stood out as their best, or one of their best, performers during that time.

ibby said:
I can't find stats but be careful what you say, for example Zidane who you would have thought would have millions of assists in the World Cup only has 2, both being dead ball situations.
Yeah, I'm aware of his record. Ironically I think both of them were to Henry; the only two goals Henry has ever scored while being assisted by Zidane.

ibby

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
I can't find those statistics so I take your word for it. It's always about circumstances though. And fact is that France has been a very underperforming team for years. Henry has often stood out as their best, or one of their best, performers during that time.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/henry-intlg.html

Excellent site.

Yeah, I'm aware of his record. Ironically I think both of them were to Henry; the only two goals Henry has ever scored while being assisted by Zidane.
I corrected myself. 3 assists, one to Vieira against Spain in 2006, one to Henry against Brazil in 2006 and one against South Africa to Dugarry in 1998. Still poor.

He has only assisted Henry once in his footballing career, against Brazil.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

ibby said:
Klaus Daimler said:

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/henry-intlg.html

Excellent site.
Cheers.

ibby said:
I corrected myself. 3 assists, one to Vieira against Spain in 2006, one to Vieira against Brazil in 2006 and one against South Africa to Dugarry in 1998. Still poor.
I take it you mean Henry since he was the one scoring for France in that game. I'm fairly sure he had two assists to Henry in total, but nonetheless it's an astonishly bad record. I think it reflects part of France's problem though; they've always had excellent individuals but they only had excellent individuals who played well together as a team on the big scene at two occasions: in -98 and -00. It's unsurprising really that they went all the way to the World cup final in -06 when a lot of the old players came out of retirement to help them out. It was still the same boring France with inept tactics and little creativity but at the same time they knew eachother inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom