• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kerrea Gilbert (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabret00the

Established Member
jay-d said:
sabret00the said:
I'll say something which people will consder to be outlandish: Gilbert is a better right back than Clichy is a left back, now if we're gonna loan Clichy out then by all means loan Gilbert out. Others GTFOH.

And you've come to this conclusion from a handful of first team appearences? Seriously I know you rate him as a player but saying he is better than Lauren and Clichy is a bit much with the limited amount of appearences he has made thus far. Certainly one potentially for the future but not just yet so a loan may do him good. But I agree with others when they say a loan to a better club than Cardiff.
Granted he's had limited appearences and thus hasn't been able to show consistancy but even if you remove the postion from the equation, he's still a hell of a player, intelligent, good footballing brain, tactically very aware and provides presence. he's strong in the air too (not so much in regards to win's all his balls, but makes sure his opponent doesn't).

Of course when it comes to Lauren i've said time and time again he's average, i said a long time ago you replace our right side and we'll be a far more successful team and that's happened. that's because of Lauren's inability. his greatest assett is his grit and that doesn't win you the best right back in the world award. of course he's consistant but let's be honest, how hard is it be consistant for Arsenal? he's been consistantly beat down his flank, he's been consistantly picking up weak 'tactical' yellow cards through fault of his own inability to start with and he's been consistantly anonymous in our attacks. Lauren is a great squad player, fantastic bench jockey but to say he should be first or second choice is ludicrous. Especially when Gilbert's limited appearances were an improvement over Lauren's great appearences. And no i don't think it's bad to acknowledge a player being better than the other other based on limited appearences. When it was asked of him he stood up and proved his ability, if not for a twisted back he would've continued to show that ability, his average is better than Lauren's "whatever you wanna call it" and if you want to question anyone, don't question Gibert for staking the claim, question Lauren for allowing it to be made so easily.

Eboue and Gilbert as a combination of right backs are fantastic, and would be welcomed in almost any squad, the have different strenghts but are both able to provide the same things. This cannot be said for Lauren, allowing him to go into the new season as second choice right wing would be a huge mistake on our part and lead me to question our position when it comes down to: ambition vs loyalty.

divanorum

I wouldn't be 100% happy at eboue being first choice especially after todays ivory coast game thought he had a bit of a stinker and i have a few doubts about him anyway and wouldn't want to entrust him as first choice however great cover don't get me wrong I think he looks very good going forward but defensively sometimes he can be a bit dodgey. Lauren is consistent and reliable he doesn't get as forward as much as eboue but better defensively by a long way and he can head the ball.

Gilbert going on loan would be a good move but preferably to a prem team but championship would be ok as long as its a good team aiming for promotion so he plays with better quality players he is raw and rough still. He didn't let us down at all when he played and after a good season on loan think he'll have a decent chance of pushing for a place in some games to see how he does...

jay-d

Established Member
@ Sabre.

I know you have taken a lot of time to respond but I'll just reply here without quoting it as it takes up too much space.

Lauren is a decent player but as you say could be improved upon. I don't however think Gilbert as yet is the answer. Yes he did have a few good games but I also saw him get exposed defensivley and look rather shaky a few times.
The way you speak about him is as if he set the place alight when he played, he was good but not exceptional.
He's still got a fair way to be better than Lauren and I agree potentially he may but he's not ready yet and I reckon Arsène agrees with me on this one.

Captain

Established Member
I don't remember Gilbert being shakey or defensively exposed at all. Not once, even against Everton when he stood up to the battering that they tried to hand down to him.

I would also point out that Eboue's attacking threat was non-existent when played behind Ljungberg, much like Lauren and much like Gilbert.

The one game Gilbert played behind Hleb he overlapped and got an assist for Henry. It is plausible that with Hleb ahead of either of them we would see exactly the sort of form that Eboue shows from both Lauren and Gilbert.

jay-d

Established Member
Captain said:
I don't remember Gilbert being shakey or defensively exposed at all. Not once, even against Everton when he stood up to the battering that they tried to hand down to him.

I do.

Captain

Established Member
Do you happen to remember when or in which games he was defensively exposed and looked shakey?

jay-d

Established Member
Captain said:
Do you happen to remember when or in which games he was defensively exposed and looked shakey?

The main game for me was the Bolton game, even though it could be said of the whole team. Don't get me wrong I'm not at all saying he is a bad player, I think he has the potential to be a very good player but to say he is already better than Lauren and Clichy is an over statement at this time I believe.

jester

Established Member
he came into the team when we were very incosistant and stood out.
he did stand out, when he set up henry for a goal v wigan i think, henry made him celebrate.
he got a run when the entire team wasnt performing that well so to base any sort of assesment on him from that is madness, otherwise with the same logic cesc, henry, and any other player arent good enough either.
hence the loan deal - to see what he's like week in week out, instead of a few games in a suffering team which is no where near long enough to make a connection with the right sided player.

jay-d

Established Member
jester said:
he did stand out, when he set up henry for a goal v wigan i think, henry made him celebrate.
he got a run when the entire team wasnt performing that well so to base any sort of assesment on him from that is madness, otherwise with the same logic cesc, henry, and any other player arent good enough either.
hence the loan deal - to see what he's like week in week out, instead of a few games in a suffering team which is no where near long enough to make a connection with the right sided player.

If that was aimed at me. Read my posts in this thread again. If not, no worries.

jester

Established Member
jay-d said:
jester said:

If that was aimed at me. Read my posts in this thread again. If not, no worries.

not particularly, but saying about the bolton match did jog my memory of events.

irongunner

This is great news as im a resident of Cardiff and go to see the games as often as possible. He is a good addition to the squad if its confirmed + contrary to the crap spoken on here by some idiots suggesting Cardiff aren't a good enough club, there is a big ambition in the capital.

They still managed to finish in the top half of the Championship inspite of losing both their centrebacks in the summer (gabbidon and collins), Cameron Jerome flourished in his first full season in professional football earning England under 21 honours and Jason Koumas rediscovered his golden touch courtesy of Dave Jones.

If they have a problem position in the team, it is most certainly at right back. Rhys Weston has been diabolical all season so Gilbert would be more than welcome + would most probably be playing week in, week out.

Wenger14

Established Member
Depends on how you look at it tbh. Right now? not a chance. Maybe more talented, but as far as consistency goes we don't really have much of a clue do we? You don't get back ups any better than Lauren and a loan would be the ideal option for Gilbert.

I'm a huge fan tbh. I mentioned him a few times after the Reading game, he impressed me big time on the left, and that isn't even his preferred position. But judging him over a short run in the team? I'd like to see how he does playing week in week out in the premiership before making any solid claims.

Therefore this loan deal doesn't excite me too much. Gilbert's a lot better than Cardiff city. I would want him going on loan,but to a better team, and by better I mean a premiership side. He isn't going to do much being 3rd/4th choice at Arsenal right now, and as much as some would want him ahead of Lauren, that won't happen at least for another year.

qs

Established Member
vanderguy said:
Most of you want to keep him because he is from england.this is pathetic.he is not that good

Im Irish, couldnt care less where players from and I want to keep Gilbert. Why? Because he's 19 and did incredibly well when called up to the first team. Did everything Eboue did when he came back, just didnt get to do it as long or in europe and hence didnt get the same recognition.

wengerboy

Established Member
the kid needs to play football now eboue is gonna perhaps be playing in reserves, gilbert is gonna be on the bench so hes needs to move out and play for another team like a.cole did.

qs

Established Member
Is Sabre just making outrageous statements to get a reaction?

Laurens average, Clichys crap and Gilberts better than both.

Calm down a bit, Gilbert did very well in the limited run he got but not enough to prove he's better than Lauren, whos consistently been in the top 2 right backs in the country(not much compeition but still)

Clichy has always done well when he's had chances, easily as good as Gilbert and IMO does even better when going forward. Plus he's done it on more occassions.

Gilberts not played enough games to start making statements about him being better than those 2. He may well go on to be better but its yet to be seen.

If Laurens staying Gilbert should be loaned.

vanderguy

He will soon be expose of not being good.i know you prick rate him because he is english but thats no problem for me :) eboue is way talented than him.eboue has the potential to be the next cafu while gilbert will always be average,he does not have the same technique like eboue,be real can gilbert mark a tricky player like robinho simple no because he will get abused :lol: .When we bought eboue i knew he was a talented player because he could beat his markers unlike gilbert who is just a imitation of gary neville.low technique with pace.but time will tell .if you cant argue my post dont post at all :?

Ratinho

Established Member
Carry on and you'll be making those comments on the BBC board son. People are pricks because they don't agree with your offal?

The very fact that you don't rate Neville as a full back shows up your argument tbh.

kwg

vanderguy said:
Most of you want to keep him because he is from england.this is pathetic.he is not that good
and what are you basing that on
you obviously havent seen him play IMO he is one of the best up and coming talents in england by far.

otfgoon

Established Member
vanderguy said:
He will soon be expose of not being good.i know you prick rate him because he is english but thats no problem for me :) eboue is way talented than him.eboue has the potential to be the next cafu while gilbert will always be average,he does not have the same technique like eboue,be real can gilbert mark a tricky player like robinho simple no because he will get abused :lol: .When we bought eboue i knew he was a talented player because he could beat his markers unlike gilbert who is just a imitation of gary neville.low technique with pace.but time will tell .if you cant argue my post dont post at all :?

Its hard to argue with utter tripe but ill try. Eboue better than Gilbert, no arguments there. But how can you say he is rubbish? Firstly Laurens lack of pace has been a big concern for me and its exposed us many times against quick wingers. Lauren doesnt get forward as much either wheres gilbert was making some very good runs down the right. Defensively he can improve, ashly cole was rubbish when he first came in but he got better. As for your technique argument, well I refuse to argue with crap out of your arse.

vanderguy

Ratinho said:
Carry on and you'll be making those comments on the BBC board son. People are pricks because they don't agree with your offal?

The very fact that you don't rate Neville as a full back shows up your argument tbh.

It is getting pathetic in this forum.you want to ban me because i dont have the same idea like you,i used the word prick,but many posters replied to my post by foul language.i see double standard same as tegh, if i get ban because of this i will stop coming to this site :wink: soccerpulse is better :lol: some mods are starting to impose they ideology on this board :( ,i rate neville but he is not special like cafu.keep overrating gilbert he will soon be expose.i am sure of that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom